159 1.9 JTD Auto - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
159 1.9 JTD Auto

Hi guys. I am thinking about buying a 159 JTD 1.9 AUTO. I know its not a popular choice but because of a slight medical condition an auto suits me.
I own the a Mercedes C Class 180 Kompressor Auto (2009 model),but own a manual 147 JTD 16V also. I have so much fun in my Alfa that I am willing to dump the Merc, but need a Auto car.
Can anyone please advise me on the reliabilty of the Alfa auto box I wish to place an order next week.
Thanks guys and gals.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Anyone please.
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

I replaced a 2004 220CDI C Class saloon with a 159 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon Lusso 14 months ago. It is an attractive and comfortable car with a reasonable spec and I have a love hate relationship with it.

The auto is fine and the performance suits me. There are a number of points that I am less than pleased about.

On rare ocasions there is a hesitiation when pulling away which I have seen reported elsewhere. Moving up a queue and then expecting to pull quickly into traffic is when it is most likely to happen. It's not very often but every time I am about to pull away, I wonder if this will be the time.

Fuel consumption is variable. I can do 38mpg on a trip and an identical return will give 32mpg. Motorway run at 75, 41 mpg although the other day I drove 80 miles and achieved 48mpg. This is off the trip computer which I have checked brim to brim. Suppose the computer could be at fault, it is Alfa electronics after all.

Finally tyres. I drive carefully and don't throw it around corners but fronts are likely to have to be replaced at 14,000 but are wearing evenly. Directional stability is very poor on rough roads.

I never had to question the Merc, it just got on and did it. The 159 takes me back to cars I owned 40 years ago when you could never quite trust them. Still I suppose we buy Alfas for their looks.

Having said that, a Merc would have cost me 10k more.

Perhaps we should swap!

Good luck
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thnks for your reply 159newbie. Very much apprieciated. I too used to own a C220CDI, but rejected the car due to significant autobox problems. It was replaced but I decided to go for C180K auto Blue Efficiency. This too is rubbish. It the moment I am decicing to cut my losses walk away and buy a 159 1.9 Auto.
Thanks for your help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , auto , jtd