Info please...looking to upgrade to 159. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 13-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Info please...looking to upgrade to 159.

Hi, just a quick post asking for peoples experiences of the 159 1.9JTD. I currently have a 147 and am looking to upgrade to a 159 5dr 1.9JTD.
All comments welcome.
Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Just do it. I went from a very nice 147 2.0 Lusso with leather and 17 Supersports to a 159 Ti 1.9 JTDm and couldn't be happier. A different car altogether, more composed, grown up and more modern in every way.

I couldn't recommend highly enough. 1.9 is great, but not as frugal as BM's and A4s, but who cares... the 159 is so much better looking and rarer

Go for it at the earliest opportunity. Lusso spec great, LE fantastic, Ti pretty much perfect
AO Member
County: Aquitaine
I asked the same basic question a little over a month ago, this is my reply a month after buying one

As a 147 owner you will be used to the 'quirkiness' of Alfas in terms of the style and reliability. The 159 series is the most reliable to date (from my observations).

Common moans from owners seem to be :-

1) Fuel consumption from diesels , the car will perform and drink fuel like a petrol. The economy of diesel from a 159 is only at the pump.

2) Tyre wear , some (but not all) 159s seem to have low tyre life. This is particularly apparent on 18"+ rims. Best known fix is to change the tracking to 0degrees. Personally I feel that for the grip and performance of these cars , 'poor' tyre life is expected.

3) EGR/DPF issues. The car is fitted with a load of 'gadgets' to clean up the emissions , EGR issues were only an issue on 06/07 models as far as I know. The DPF issue is more complex , basically if you are a 'stop/start' short distance driver that never does regular 50mph+ trips (for 10 mins plus once engine warmed) then modern diesels are not for you.

4) Windscreen creak. Rare but common enough to be heard of. I personally (with no evidence lol) believe this is due to owners washing their car with Fairy Liquid instead of proper car shampoo and drying out the windscreen rubber. It is known that a treatment of silicon lube (giggles) if you get this problem will cure it.

I bought a 2.4 JTDm Ti a month ago and yes there are a few things that annoy me , all of them are me being a fussy little S.O.B.. It is without a doubt the best all-round car I have owned (and I have had a few) and it is the sort of car I can see myself driving for the next 5-10 years with happiness.

AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Different beast altogether from the 147 - you are moving into a different category of car so not really fair to compare the 2

Like all cars it's not perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives and still quite a rare sight on our roads so the you won't end up driving one of the 'dull' german offerings.
AO Silver Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

159Ti 1.9Jtdm

Had mine for a little over 7 months, covered just over 20K and have to say still look forward to going for a drive in it. Pretty much as everyone above said, solid feel, mpg can be a bit up and down but I personally take it easy and get around 45mpg at steady speeds on the motorway which is about 5mpg less than I got on my 147 1.9Jtd (the missus says I drive like an old fart!)
I'd recommend one without a shadow of a doubt mate, if your wallet can stretch to a ti then do it, otherwise I have the 1.9jtd Lusso spec and i love it to bits.

AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Excellent example of Alfa engineer.
About fuel consumption (I have the JTDm 150hp) I did, in the last 1300kms (on a trip to Algarve) an average of 7.1 per 100/kms, driving most of the time at 140km/h or with city traffic, almost full loaded and with the aircon on all the time.
Not bad I think!!
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
I've had my 159 sw 1.9 Lusso exactly two years to the day. Bought her as an ex-demo after looking carefully at many other options - 320s, A4s, Passats, Saabs. One drive of the 159 and there was no turning back; I bought her there and then.
Apart from a few minor niggles that have all been fixed under warranty I am still absolutely thrilled with her.
OK so dealers are scarce; good ones seem to be even more so and 42mpg is not great but you will have a superbly engineered car with more than enough punch, great handling/ride/comfort/brakes and more presence than anything this side of an Italian supercar.

All the best

La Dodgy Vita
AO Member
County: -
I would think very carefully about what you want from a car. If you dont need space I personally would go for a GT. If you need more space go for the 159.

I have previously owned a 156 1.8, a GT 1.9 and, from a month ago, a 159 1.9. I thought the GT was a stunning car (crap dashboard), great to drive but I missed the space in the summer months when I wanted to get out and about with 4 or 5 in the car. I therefore changed to the 159.

The only issue I have with the 159 is the seats, I really miss the deep supportive seats of the GT and I find the 159 seats spoil the driving experience when you are out on B roads having a bit of (sensible) fun. I guess I will keep this 159 1.9 for a year or so and then upgrade to a Ti.

Hope this helps a bit
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I was looking to change my Saab 9-3SS petrol and was seriously thinking of an E90 325i. Seemed a decent car all round, then I sat in one, test drove it and saw my reflection in the window of the dealership. Oh dear, I had become one of the masses!! Ahhhhhh.
Ran out of the dealership and began a re-think. My mate, long time 145 owner, told me to stop messing about and buy an Alfa. So i did.
I have a 159 jtdm and I love it!
Being a diesel snob for many years, laughing at my diesel driving friends as I razzed around in my turbo petrol cars, I am now seeing what they meant.
Even in poverty "Tourismo" spec my caris great. Loads more kit than other marques. And just look at it, evry angle is poetry. Sigh.
And for the first weeks driving I have done 680 miles on one tank, and as this was the week of "getting to know the limits", thats pretty impressive indeed.

As a reasonably tall person, 6 foot, the seats are great.
Interior build is great so far, doors shut with a reasuring thunk.

So all in all a happy bunny.

Go on, you know you want to......
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Originally Posted by Steve Durham View Post
I would think very carefully about what you want from a car. If you dont need space I personally would go for a GT. If you need more space go for the 159.
And if you do long distances - go for the 159. I've just spent two days driving to and from Ascot from Central Scotland. There is NO WAY a GT would have done it in the comfort that I had in the 159 (recent trips in a 2.0 JTS from Glasgow to Edinburgh were enough of a chore). The 159 is built for long journeys and is more of a Grand Tourer than the GT is.
AO Gold Member
grudgingly.... Fraser is right - the 159 is a great motorway machine ideal for long journeys, its a bit of a big lump round town though, and my 147 driving wife really doesnt like the 159's, we have had 2, plus courteousy cars.

That said, she didnt like the MiTo either, so unless the 149 comes quick at the right price she may desert the brand.

I dont want another 159 either, although its still the best car for me in its class, I am likely to downsize in 18 months when its due back.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , info , pleaselooking , upgrade