159 1.9jtdm - No Oil In Engine Message - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
159 1.9jtdm - No Oil In Engine Message

Anyone had a the 'no oil in engine message' come up on the display. This has happened to me 3 times. The first 2 times the car just jolted when I pressed the starter button (almost like a stall) and the message came up.

Last night I pressed the started button and there was a terrible rattling sound like a box a nails being shaken. Again the message came up. I had just driven it 60 miles with no problems and the engine would have been well lubricated, so I doubt there was any engine damage.

The car is fully serviced and only had oil changed in November 2008. The oil level is perfect and there are no other issues. When I restart the car it's fine.

Been to Alfa dealer today, but no fault was found / recorded. Very strange!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: 159 1.9jtdm - No Oil In Engine Message

New one on me. Sounds like a faulty oil level sensor or dodgy connection. I'd suggest to the garage that they replace the sensor.

Terrible rattling? Broken oil pump?

Message may be triggered by oil pressure rather than oil level sensor - can anyone cast light on this?
AO Member
County: -

It sounds like the engine has stalled, or not started properly in the first 2 examples you gave.
A number of people (including me) have had the "bag of nails" running occasionally. It's almost as though the car is running on 2 cylinders.

Perhaps the oil pressure sensor is being over sensitive, and can not deal with a stalled or not quite starting engine.

I know that if I stall my 1.9D, then I sometimes get a message about low oil pressure (can't remember the exact words). It just means it has stalled.

Thanks for the suggestions. The dealer has seen this message before and they were very helpful (Mangoletsi) but I'm going to have to moinitor for now.

My first thought was the oil pump, but I would have expected that to have gone completely by now. I'm going to give it a bit longer between putting the 'key' in and pressing the starter button.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19jtdm , engine , message , oil