Brera 3.2 - The Final Verdict - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brera 3.2 - The Final Verdict

I'm very close to purchasing a 3.2 Brera Q4.

Sat in one the other day and felt as special as it looked.

Read a few reviews regarding the 3.2 which seem to repeat the same line. "Too heavy, too thirsty".

I should preface things by saying I don't need to have blistering speed. Probably a good thing from what I've read.

So what's the final verdict from the knowledgeable alfisti who have owned or currently drive one?

Positives. Negatives. Would you buy one again?
Would love to hear your experiences.

Cheers all.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Re: Brera 3.2 - The Final Verdict

Positives: You'll love it and you'll love being seen in it.

Negatives: As you said.

Go for it, the heart rules (especially today!)
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

I am an Alfa V6 fan and was going from my 166 3.2 to a Brera - I ended up with the diesel which was a first for me, same looks, great performance and at least double the mpg.

I do miss the V6 burble on start up but that is all - Depends on your wants and needs but I feel like I made the right choice.

The GM 3.2 just does not do it for me - not a good replacement for the classic busso unit!

Good Luck - EEnjoy whatever you chooose
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV Cup 99

I dont own one but I am considering getting one at some point in the next 12-24 months.

If you read independent reviews of the brera (and maybe any alfa!) you wouldnt buy one. If you read some of the complaint posts here from owners, about tyre were, fuel economy, known issues.... you wouldnt get one. If you consider the current credit crunch and the price of breras you prolly wouldnt get one...

If however you have test driven one on more than one occasion and it hasnt put you off, u have your heart set on the car due to the awsome looks, arent obsessed by performance and therefore railroaded into buying and M3 or an RS4 or other <insert random flavour of the moment german car that every mofo and his dog has> then.....

go for it. For me personally, It would be the 3.2 engine. I have driven a 2.2 and basically it was way way way too slugish for a small coupe.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

If you are aware & OK with the 22mpg or so, I'd say go for it. Yes, its not blisteringly quick & on a race track it won't cover itself in glory, but on real roads in real world conditions its plenty quick enough. I'd happily get another Brera next year (when my current deal runs out) if it wasn't for the fact that I will be needing more rear leg room soon.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Wave Re: Brera 3.2 - The Final Verdict

Go for the 2.4 diesel. Performance is almost as good, torque is better and fuel consumption way better. You will also lose less in depreciaation as the V6's drop like a stone. If you can overcome your hatred of the rattly bag of spanners start up on the diesel (it soon goes ) then the diesel is in my opinion the better choice. Either way its a fabulous car - I have been amazed by the amount of people who stop to look at the car and comment how fabulous it looks.
AO Member
County: Prahova

Member car:

Go for it! It's a sort of different car, but be aware of some aspects:
-mileage is very poor compared to competitors and performance, mine gets around 17mpg, you won't get any better...
-v6 seems a little slugish, not as quick as you'd expect from a 260bhp car. Don't annoy any M3, Imprezza or'll be left way behind...
- do a drive test and pay attention to any suspect noises BEFORE you buy, even if the car is new. If it has 18 inch wheels you'll eventually experience some tramlining over bumps but thats normal. Gearchange is a little notchy but must be precise. Check all the electrical gizmos for correct operation. Check the front seats for squeaks and abnormal movement. Pay attention to strange noise or/and vibration through steering in low speed corners as this may indicate power steering problems, very common in these cars.
-visibility is poor in the rear corners, not too good around town.
All in all is a very appealing car with tons of charm, you won't pass unnoticed. Very stylish appeareance.Good comfort also (for two), but if I'd buy another one I surely buy a diesel ( the torque is even better).
AO Silver Member
County: -

Iīm going from GT 2,0 to Brera (when the euro rate permits...). I really like my GT; it looks like a dream, itīs light and agile, but it isnīt very powerful

I want the beauty of the Brera, but I also want a car that PERFORMS, not just looks like it does. Because of the CO2-issue, the 3,2 isnīt for me, but the 2,4 JTDm just might be...

Will it make me disapointed? Heavy? Not agile enough? The lorry sound?

Will a test drive of a 159 2,4 help me? (there arenīt any JTD Breras in Sweden)
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Cant comment on the Brera but I can comment on the 3.2 engine (I have the 159 Q4). It is heavy and it does feel sluggish for a V6. It also doesnt have the same rasp as the classic V6 Alfa engine. I had to have a remap to get it respectable, and even then its only the four wheel drive that keeps you up with the 330d's of this world. I wouldnt go near an Impreza or an M3 for fear of embarassment. Which, obviously, drives me mad. I've had it nearly two years now and Im used to it and know what it can do, but I still yearn for my 156 GTA which I should never have traded in. As for the diesel's I would say be wary if its speed you want. I also have a 1.9JTD which is frankly slow, although Ive had a 2.4JTD in the past that wasnt bad. Havent driven one of the new 2.4JTD's but a couple of lads at work have 159 JTD TI's which look great. Have to say though that from my experience if you want genuine quickness from a diesel its got to be nearer the 3 litre mark and currently and unfortunately that means going over to das dark side. Al.though a remap to the 2.4JTD might help? Steer clear of the 2.2 JTS. I drove a 2.2 Brera and was distinctly underwhelmed, but then I was in the GTA at the time. For my money Alfa still havent got near the 156GTA for looks, performance, exclusivity, image...although if I was just buying a car for posing then the Brera would be the obvious choice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , final , verdict