I think I made a mistake buying a Brera - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Re: I think I made a mistake buying a Brera

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Asbolutely right of course but in mitigation there are an awful lot of threads like this these days where people come on with no constructive advice but just slag off Alfa.

To the OP you're right, in an ideal world no car should suffer from these gremlins and I sincerely hope you get them fixed.
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post
At the end of the day the Brera is just a cheapskate stop gap cop out - an under-engineered Vectra with a pretty (but still disappointing) body. Has to be the let-down of the century so far.

So yes, unfortunately, you made a big mistake. If you really want an Alfa get a good GTV V6 and wait for Alfa to get their act together.
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post
Think of it as a super stylish Vauxhall and you'll be fine.
Originally Posted by Monza96 View Post
Hurrah, some sense on this thread.

1. Alfas are engineered to be 'productionised'?
2. The people building them aren't?
3. Both of the above?

4. The factory as no QA system worthy of the term as the cars leave the lines?
5. Alfa dealers can't do a PDI properly? Alfa dealer staff are too vain to wear glasses and they're all deaf?

Isn't Ulrich Bez on about making Aston Martin a 'virtual car company' and their going to build Astons in Switzerland?

The Arna? The Xedos 6? You have to wonder if the best thing for Alfa customers, Alfa dealers and the Alfa brand would be to build the things somewhere else.
Ahem, see what I mean? These posts are a big help to the OP, aren't they?
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 32 Old 06-02-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Prahova

Member car:

The dealer diagnosed the car and, guess what, everything's fine...No mechanical/elecrical faults, apart the noisy power steering. I know the car is permanently driving 4 18inch wheels, it wheights almost 1,7 tons but this is ridiculous consumtion. I wonder if the remap from Autodelta could do something...Anyone tried it? P.S Yes, Scirocco originaly had 1.8l engine(95hp) but swaped a lightly tuned Corrado engine(aprox.210hp at 900kg).

Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
You need to get it back to a really decent dealer that will fix all the the problems listed (except the fuel consumption which will always be heavy).

I agree that it's not right that such a prestige & expensive car should have all these problems. Frankly, it's embarrassing

68alfa will never see any wrong in the marque & the more I read his posts, the more I reckon he works for Alfa

don't work for alfa.
i don't get it? is my 159 with 22,000km suppose to breakdown by now?
or am i one extremely lucky person?

Last edited by alfisti1; 06-02-09 at 14:35.
AO Member
County: Modena

Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I've being saying this for a while now. Poland? Slovakia?

Anywhere has to be better than the south of Italy for manufacturing of any kind.
Slightly O/T I know... but the Brera & Spider are neither built by Alfa Romeo, nor are they built in the South of Italy -- actually they are built by Pininfarina in Northern Italy. The body shells are produced in their factory in Grugliasco, Turin and finished in their plant in San Giorgio Canavese. Pininfarina also build cars for Ford (Focus CC) and Volvo (C70 Cabriolet).

Pininfarina | Manufacturing

Other cars built in the past by Pininfarina include Mitsubishis (Pinin Pajero), Peugeots (406 coupe), Fiat (Coupé) and Alfa (GTV, Spider), plus assorted Ferrari bodies that were trucked down to Maranello.

Pininfarina are perfectly capable of producing high quality vehicles..... from time-to-time.

One interesting point of trivia is that Pininfarina is widely acknowledged as having one of the very highest quality paintshops anywhere in the business.
AO Silver Member

Originally Posted by brera3.2q4 View Post
I Bought it, I must admit, by heart...
Every last one of us.
AO Member
County: New South Wales

My 159 3.2Q4 has done 50,000 kms and is as solid as it was when new.
I gather the 159's are more reliable but they are the same car except for the body.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Bring this sort of debate up in any reasonable British hostelry, and see what happens, no matter, regarding individual enthusiasms! I found I retreated to the trenches.:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , buying , made , mistake