159 1.9 JTDm Water Pump failure - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey
Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
Thanks Chris - that does make me feel better!!
Do you happen to know what the failure is - have the blades fallen off the impeller? The reason for asking is that the main symptom at first was a non-working heater and yet no signs of the pump seized, i.e. no squealing or anything obvious, and it was only the motorway run and turning off to pick up some items on the way to Yorkshire last Sunday that overheating occurred. I had been watching the temp guage like a hawk.
For some reason we still have not got the car back from Wessex - they said an item was missing from the parts delivery and it should be ready some time this morning, so I may quiz them further if the collection is not too fraught.

It could be that the blades have worn out, or it could be that the blades slip on the impeller, ask to see the old part if they've not thrown it away yet .. you're lucky though the water pumps in the JTDm's are known to seize therefore causing a cambelt failure, so it could have been so much worse!!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
159 Water pump failure - cautionary tale

Have collected the car now and all seems hunky-dory, but the cautionary tale is that the only symptom for several days was no heater working. The temperature was quite normal over almost 50 miles until tackling a steep incline - but further, the AA chap should not have advised driving "carefully" after correctly diagnosing failed water-pump. Because of difficult narrow roads to motorway he followed closely rather than tow for 38 miles to the agents to leave the car with them. The pump, so the agents say, was seized and so was quietly shredding the cam-belt and a drive even at no more than 50 was a bad idea.
Will take note of no heater and not soldier on with cold feet. Looks like my luck was in and a lucky escape.
County: Porto
A friend of mine drives a alfa mito with 50 000 km on the clock and is now four years old.last week the water pump failed and he had to spend 1800 euros to put in back on the road.i myself own a giulietta 1.6 jtdm-2 with two and a half years old and only 16.000 km on the clock and i,m considering to change the timing belt along with water pump and tensioner bearing as far as it reach four years old.l understand that the water pump is in a position that suffers a great pressure from the tim

ing belt and the problem is not exatly the timing belt.this kind of engine should use a reenforced water pump
County: -
Hmmm alfa 159 2.0jtdm 16v Water Temperature problems!

Just after any ideas to why my Alfa would be flashing the warning of high water temperature and high coolant level and if this has happened to anyone else. The coolant is still the same colour, but when this warning flashes the coolant is literally boiling hot and can hear it bubbling, there is a noise now when the car is running, like a slight squeaky noise, I suspect it is the water pump and possibly faulty thermostat but unsure of cost on a repair like this, just wondered if any one can give advice and knowledge on the matter, would be much appreciated.

AO Member
County: Bielsko-Biala
both ate not expensive parts(id say below gbp100 total) , thermostat is easy to replace, not sure about water pump, though i do not expect it to be any long work either. ask your mechanic

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , failure , jtdm , pump , water