Quick update: After about 7 visits to the dealership now, this problem is STILL not sorted out. It has been going on for ages now, and I am on the verge of simply giving up. I also almost had an accident a while ago due to this issue too, as I was trying to catch a gap into a busy road, and the car simply cut out half way in! Luckily the accident was avoided by a quick thinking oncoming driver. This morning was the final straw on the camel's back:
Short explanation: I started the car, it idled for about 5 seconds, and then cut out, as per usual. And will not start again. It is totally dead now
As it cut out, all it said was, the now familiar, "anti-pollen filter clogged" message on the dash (only that one though), and now it is totally dead... Even the fuel gauge didn't want to move from the half way mark for about 30 seconds after I removed the key... And then (this is the best part of it all): the fuel gauge indicator started to "TICK" (along with sound!) all the way down to the empty mark, like it was the "second hand" on a clock!
I am at a loss for words now, and after all of this, I am finding it so difficult to keep holding that Alfa flag high. I always try convince people that Alfa has now sorted out their issues from the past regarding unreliability etc, but it has become increasingly difficult to defend that with all these problems I have been having. Very unfortunate.
My only hope is, now that it is totally dead, the dealership can pinpoint what the faulty component(s) is. They have said they are going to come to my house to diagnose what is wrong before deciding what to do. I find it totally unacceptable that one has to pay so much for a car like this, and still have all these months and months of problems (Granted it has only been this one issue... Apart from this, it is an awesome car, which I love)!
On the good side, Alfa has been very willing to help and have replaced many components, but it is clear they do not have a clue what is causing it... it seems like a trial and error route. Replacing components in the hope it will fix the problem. I have told them to take the car now, and I do not want to see it again until they can guarantee me that the car is 100% fixed. I am at the point now that I think I need to start demanding that if they can't fix it, they need to replace the entire engine. Needless to say, I am not happy.
I will keep you all posted on what happens.