first oil change in new a new engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
first oil change in new a new engine

is it good for engine to change the oil before the planned period if the car is new. ie oil change around 4000 miles (2500 km)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Highlands
Re: first oil change in new a new engine

it wont do it any harm ,i personally like to change the oil around the 10,000 mile marker ,the 18,000 recommended by alfa i feel is too high .
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

We have had numerous debates on this and some.: The more often the better, imo. Exactly how often, is personal choice of course. Symon H is a 6,000 miler for changes iirc.:
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

When my Selespeed was new I asked the Alfa garage to do an oil and filter change at 2000kms, they said that the first filter fitted by the factory was different from those used for service and shouldnt be changed until the 5000kms service, anyway I got them to change the oil at least.

My Landcruiser was first service with oil and filter change etc at 2000kms and then 5000kms and every 5000kms afterwards......

I always think that an early oil change cant do any harm and is relatively cheap especially when the car is new

I now change the oil every 10000kms or 6 months - the weather here is very harsh so better safe than sorry

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles

Dealer recommends 10K km here.

This also seems to sync the oil change/service issue too.
(For cars covering average mileage.)
AO Member
County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

dealer says 10k km here also, but this is mainly because they're greedy and it's considerable more dust here than in western countries (tho it kinda affects oil quality)

anyway, I've been changing the oil every 5000 km because it's quite cheap to do it and it doesn't take much time to do it. it's about 130 euro and it takes about 1 hour at the dealer.

heard some people saying that he first oil change should be made after a few thousand km because the engine running in process kinda destroys oil quality.
AO Member
County: Bucuresti

Member car:

159 2.4 Q4 TI

I myself am thinking of changing the oil sooner than required by the dealer(every 10k km) due to dusty enviroment and traffic after de first 5k will make a visit to the dealer

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

change , engine , oil