Dilemma-help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys,
I am currently driving a 159 2.2 JTS and love the car/engine but would like more power, preferably coupled with better economy (I get 29-31 mpg at present with 70% motorway driving). The word diesel seems to be the answer but I have never owned a diesel car before and feel apprehensive. I know this topic keeps creping up but would you recommend the 2.4 diesel over the 2.2 petrol?
You should take into account the followings:
1. I like reving the engine (my rev counter has regular meetings with 7000 rpm mark!). Is the 2.4 happy to rev to 5000 rpm?
2. I do not like the diesel rattle (understand this is not a problem with the 2.4).
3. Sporty handling is important (does this suffer with the 2.4?).

Your opinions would really be valuable here...Of course another option would be to wait for the turbo-charged 1.8.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Dilemma-help

In a nutshell, as has been debated time and again, try one of each, and then the choice is yours?: Happy Motoring.
AO Member

I test drove the diesel before deciding to go for the petrol and the main reason; well it just didn’t sound like an Alfa should. That said, the current 2.2 petrol lacks all the resonance and buzz that the old 156 used to produce when hitting the sweet spot but unlike me, this seems to be improving with age.

Also couldn’t quite get used to the combination of low range of revs coupled with a six speed box. Kept thinking the engine might be more suited to an automatic gearbox again that’s not what the cars about.

As for the handling, I think I’d need to drive the diesel again now that I’m fully used to the petrol. Given the weight difference though and the fact that I personally feel mines already front heavy, I can only assume it’s not going to be quite as good.

Anyway those are my thoughts for what their worth. I think I’ve made the right choice but at the end of the day it’s each to their own.

Have a very merry Christmas all.

Get it supercharged.
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire

The 2.4 is the only 159 to have if you want half-decent performance and reasonable fuel consumption. It is front end heavy and turn-in suffers becuase of it but it has so much grip and handles so well that you'd really have to be being extremely daft to run the car off a public road. Try one and see.

Oh yeah, it is tractory in start up and a bit at idle but sounds great on the hoof - a real throaty rumble.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 27-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers guys-this is helpful. I will test drive one, if I can get this sorted (have been trying for 6 weeks with little success; and Alfa says the dealer service is getting better!).
Getting it supercharged is an interesting idea (I guess you mean autodelta coversion) but I am bit concerned about the gearbox not coping. Also, it is not a cheap option!

But keep in mind that the new 09 spec 159 2.4 Diesels also get the Q2 diff as standard, so the fornt end heaviness should not detract from the cornering capabilities.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider