Constant rubbing noise? - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

cas
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmike2008 View Post
I no longer own the car.
New owner, meet old owner?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Highlands
I had rhs drive shaft renewed approx 6 months ago which cured rubbing noise. Car was recalled by ARUK.
When I got car back and after a few days motoring I did notice however that there is what seems to be a 'tappety' noise when car is started from cold and disappears after a few minutes running. I did not have this noise prior to the rubbing noise and can only assume that both are related. I can put up with tappety noise as this does disappear.
AO Member

County: Zadar-Knin
In the end , what is the source of "vou,vou" sound ? .I'm having exactly the same simptons
Flywheel , input shaft on gearbox or something third ?

County: Somerset
rubbing noise

My problem was resolved by having new drive shafts fitted. The car now drives like a dream. The work was carried out under warranty. The service manager at Merdian Alfa Bournmouth was fantastic at both identifying the problem and arranging for the work to be carried out very quickly. This seems to be a known issue on Alfa 159s - there was a service note that was issued in January last year.

The same could not be said for Simonstone in Brislington (Bristol) who were claiming the problem was a feature of Alfa 159s. I clearly will not be taking my car back to them.

Hope this is of some help.
AO Member

Actually , just makes it worse . Now i have 3rd possiblily . You also had "wou,wou" sound coming from front of the car ?

I'm not thrilled with idea of giving them a car ,so they can rip it off to peaces just becouse of stupid vou ,vou sound . For now, "shaft in a gearbox" is the most likely solution for me , becouse i only hear that sound in 1,2,3 gear till 2000rpm. When i shift in 4th "rubbing" disapears. Also , with this i have that "clonk" sound when reengaging the clutch after shifting gear. Are these two things connected somehow ?

Last edited by MafiaMan; 23-01-11 at 18:35.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by peli0011 View Post
My problem was resolved by having new drive shafts fitted. The car now drives like a dream. The work was carried out under warranty. The service manager at Merdian Alfa Bournmouth was fantastic at both identifying the problem and arranging for the work to be carried out very quickly. This seems to be a known issue on Alfa 159s - there was a service note that was issued in January last year.

The same could not be said for Simonstone in Brislington (Bristol) who were claiming the problem was a feature of Alfa 159s. I clearly will not be taking my car back to them.

Hope this is of some help.
Not surprised with your experience of Simonstone service department (not to be mixed with their parts department, which has always done what it said on the tin).

The Wessex dealership on Feeder Road (Bristol) is opening up sometime soon (already has the big Alfa logo outside), hopefully proper service will resume.

http://www.wessexgarages.com/news/vi...nd-Alfa-Romeo-
AO Member

County: Suffolk
I too am getting the "Vou, Vou" sound - happens between 2 - 3k RPM only in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

quite difficult to replicate under test conditions, and only happens once the car is warmed up. Only does it too when accelerating "normally" - if you thrash it, you wont be able to hear it.

Unsuprisingly, AMC in Chelmsford "are unable to hear it" - personally, I think they wont want to hear it. They know its a problem.

So I'm guessing its RHS Driveshaft - should cure it?

I'll keep on at them.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
A new drive shaft cured my noise. I had it replaced around 1500 miles but it definitely began to reappear as the miles mounted up. You could definitely notice it again by the time I got rid of it with around 35k on the clock.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid27 View Post
A new drive shaft cured my noise. I had it replaced around 1500 miles but it definitely began to reappear as the miles mounted up. You could definitely notice it again by the time I got rid of it with around 35k on the clock.
Thanks for anwser .
So this haven't had solved your problems ?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post2240361
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank_army View Post
I too am getting the "Vou, Vou" sound - happens between 2 - 3k RPM only in 1st, 2nd, 3rd

quite difficult to replicate under test conditions, and only happens once the car is warmed up. Only does it too when accelerating "normally" - if you thrash it, you wont be able to hear it.

Unsuprisingly, AMC in Chelmsford "are unable to hear it" - personally, I think they wont want to hear it. They know its a problem.

So I'm guessing its RHS Driveshaft - should cure it?

I'll keep on at them.
If it's only in 1st 2nd and 3rd, it won't be a driveshaft. It must be gearbox related as it sounds like it's only affecting one of the the gear shafts (the one with 1,2, and 3 on).
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaMan View Post
Thanks for anwser .
So this haven't had solved your problems ?

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post2240361
The noise was gone for a while but it did come back, not as bad as it was at first but it definitely came back. It may have continually got worse but I changed cars before finding out.
AO Member

Thank you very much for your info . You helped a lot
One more question if it's not a problem . Did you also had that "clonk" sound when changing gears sometimes ? Is that characteristic of an GM gearbox or should i be worried ? Sorry for OT
AO Member

County: Cornwall
So is there a definate solution to this problem them?

I am having the same issue and taking it to dealer this week
AO Member

County: Devon
One simple check is that when I had the front tyres replaced, the new weights were slightly thicker than the originals and rubbed on the callipers - in this case the solution was to re-balance with the wieghts moved slightly.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaMan View Post
Thank you very much for your info . You helped a lot
One more question if it's not a problem . Did you also had that "clonk" sound when changing gears sometimes ? Is that characteristic of an GM gearbox or should i be worried ? Sorry for OT
Sorry for the delay. Yes, I did get a 'clunk' from the gearbox. When slowing the car to a stop and selecting neutral everything was fine, however, when I select first gear I get this 'clunk' noise. This only happened if I stopped and selected neutral and let the clutch out. If I held the clutch in and selected first gear there was no clunk.

My dealer told me they had discussed it with an Alfa Regional Manager who said his 159 did the same and until his broke or suffered any breakdown he would not be recognising this noise as a warranty issue. Mine held until I got rid of it so not sure how it is now.
AO Member

No problem . So it's characteristic of GM's gearbox couse i noticed similar thing on friends vectra C
AO Member

I have test driven 2 new JTS 2.2 Selespeed recently and both has identical rubbing noise (right-hand driver side) described on this thread; i think the noise has to do with the gearbox or common parts such as drive shaft or bearing.

Edit: correct me if I am wrong - It seems that the Selespeed version uses the same manual 6-speed gearbox as other manual 159s; hence I suspect the noise could have came from the gearbox.

Based on feedback from others on this thread, the noise went away with the clutch disengaged, hence the source of noise could point to the gear surface mesh or bearing under load (as suggested by some).

Also based on the feedback that the noise only "appear" after the engine is warmed up, this could be due to the thinning of the gearbox oil. One possible solution is to change the oil with a slightly higher viscocity from 75W85 to 75W90.

What do you think?

Last edited by colins; 08-06-11 at 16:31.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Finally managed to get County Motor Works in Chelmsford (was AMC) to replace my gear shafts!

I say shafts - they replaced both left and right.

The noise I was hearing has definately gone - hopefully it will last (touch wood). The "clonk" from the DMF is still there but has been improved greatly.

I was lucky enough to get a technician who had heard the noise before (on the other times they couldn't hear it) so we went out on a test drive and was able to demonstrate the noise and how to reproduce.
AO Silver Member

I had a thrum thrum sound that got very loud, in the end i went to my dealer who diagnosed a wheel bearing on the off side, having had this done all is now sweetness and light and very quiet. I also put some BG244 injection cleaner in and the regen problem has gone also the mpg has picked up and is now showing 36.9 which ain't bad for an UN-moded 2.4.
AO Member

County: -
Did anyone have a solution for this rubbing noise (wheel rolling frequency)? - changing the RHS drive shaft did reduce the noise by 90% but I can feel the noise coming back. Could it be an engine or gearbox mount failing and causing strain on the drive shaft bearings? The RHS shaft center portion just goes straight into the gearbox.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
constant , noise , rubbing