Constant rubbing noise? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Re: Constant rubbing noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbo View Post
My 3mnth old Lusso went in for some work and I had them check the rubbing noise. Technician confirmed the noise but are refering back to AR Technical before or If to carryout any work. He did mention this problem has already been recorded by AR Technical.
I'll wait and see.
I was told by my dealer that it has not been recorded and there is no posted fix as of yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Here we go again, the Brera is being picked up on Monday (got fed up with the 2 hour round trip to the dealer each time), hopefully they will be able to find the problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the noise does not start until the oil temperature is near normal, could this be a problem with the wrong grade of gearbox oil?

Does anyone else have any updates on this problem?
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

I had the drive shaft to the drivers side front wheel replaced and that seemed to cure the problem. I must admit that just after it was replaced you could still hear a faint rubbing noise but it was no way as loud as before. Anyhow over Christmas I drove to Switzerland and back and now I am struggling to detect any rubbing noise at all. All I can think is that the new shaft is well and truly bedded in.
AwB
AO Member

County: Greater London

A very similar story to jonblanc's here - RHS drive shaft replaced and noise has disappeared. I had a 1500 mile round-trip over the Christmas break up to West Scotland, so all driving conditions tested - very cold starts, A-road cruising, long motorway stints and "spirited" drives down some beautiful and deserted windy B-roads (what my Bella was made for?!). So with all oil temps, no noise. Hopefully fixed for good.

Now I can focus on a gearbox whine in 3rd, windnoise from LHS door (not window seal), a squeaky seat and outrageous tyre noise from my 19's.

Good luck in getting it sorted GRM.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Just wanted to say that now that I have sorted the rubbing noise I am extremely happy with my 159. Happily I do not have any issues with windnoise or other niggly things. As I say over Christmas I drove to Switzerland and back from Yorkshire a total of 1800 miles ..I did it on just under 4 tanks of diesel. I got 40 miles per gallon out of the 1.9 JTDM on the French motorways cruising at 80 mph fully laden with wife and 2 kids and assorted luggage. The French motorways are so good that it is easy to use the cruise control. When we got to Switzerland the car was great over the windy mountain roads and the torque from the diesel engine made easy work of the tight steep mountain bends. I have always loved Alfa s I have driven the 156 and the GT coupe over the past 11 yrs but the 159 SW is probably the most complete Alfa I have driven.
Once there it was left in the open at 1800 m and in temperatures of - 15 degrees Centigrade for 2 0r 3 days at a time but everytime I got in it started no problem.I would not swap this car for anything apart for another 159.

Good luck to everyone
AO Member

I left the car with the dealer for a whole week as I was out of the country, to get the noisy transmission sorted, but I got an email on Thursday saying they were returning the car without having fixed this fault as ARUK were not able to provide any help.

I told the garage to inform ARUK that I did not want the car back unless this has been fixed and gave them a 2 week deadline after which I would start proceedings to have the car returned for a full refund.

Next email from Lauren at ARUK said they were going to keep the car and an Alfa tech will carry out some tests on Tuesday, although why they couldn't do this last week as I had already informed them that the car would be available I don't know.

I'll let you know the outcome next week.

Meanwhile I have a 159 1.9 JTDm which drives really well once its warmed up and I have got used to the heavy clutch.
AO Member

Well ARUK have confirmed that as far as they are concerned there is nothing wrong with the constant rubbing noise I have complained about, as this is apparently the same or worse in other cars they have tested, in other words it is another characteristic. Therefore they are not going to do anything to fix this. However, I am still waiting for a written report from them (4 weeks so far).

In the meantime I have had the car tested by an independent engineer and he has concluded in his report that there is an abnormal noise once the car is up to normal operating temperature and that this is unacceptable for this type of vehicle.

I am prepared to give ARUK another chance to fix this as it is the only major complaint I have, as most of the minor problems have now been sorted, but failing this I will probably have to escalate the issue through legal channels.

Has anyone else approached ARUK recently with an independent report who could offer some advice?
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

I have also had a 'hum-hum-hum' noise on my 156 apparently coming from the passenger side front wheel - not related to brakes (applying brakes had no effect).

Suspected all kinds of nasty things like wheel bearing, drive shaft, worn suspension etc.

After reading about mis-shapen rear tyres on AO decided to start tracking down the problem by checking wheels/tyres first - swapping them over to isolate any dodgy wheels/tyres.

Woowwah!! took rear passenger side wheel off and guess what, it was shaped like a 50p piece (but still legal)!

Replaced both rear tyre and she now drives like a Rolls-Royce.

Points to note -
1) The mis-shapen rear tyre syndrome is definetely the first port of call when investigating tyre noise
2) [Lesson for me] Noises that appear to come from the front wheels/tyres could be caused at the back

Thanks AO, invaluable resource for all us Alfa amateur mechanics (got an Alfa - get some overalls - you'll enjoy it!)
AO Member

Sorry to drag this one up again, but after 8 weeks from when ARUK received the inspection report, I am doing yet another test drive with a tech from the dealer, so that he can do a test drive with a tech from ARUK, (something to do with ARUK only being insured when testing a car from the dealers). They are coming to me to do the test drive as I want to be sure that they understand that there is no noise when the car is cold (apart from the creaking dash). This will be the 3rd time they have had the car back for this fault, so as far as I can tell I will be able to start legal proceedings to reject it if its not fixed this time.

Has anyone else with this problem made any progress yet?
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRM001 View Post
Sorry to drag this one up again, but after 8 weeks from when ARUK received the inspection report, I am doing yet another test drive with a tech from the dealer, so that he can do a test drive with a tech from ARUK, (something to do with ARUK only being insured when testing a car from the dealers). They are coming to me to do the test drive as I want to be sure that they understand that there is no noise when the car is cold (apart from the creaking dash). This will be the 3rd time they have had the car back for this fault, so as far as I can tell I will be able to start legal proceedings to reject it if its not fixed this time.

Has anyone else with this problem made any progress yet?
The Tech from the garage along with AR UK Tech test drove my car initially from cold and identified the rubbing noise & it becomes louder as the car warms up. They went exact same route but in a TI and got the same result. The conclusion was they're not sure what causes the noise or how to fix the problem but they're looking into it and will let me know as and when they have a result.....Yeah right - sloping shoulder syndrome.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbo View Post
The Tech from the garage along with AR UK Tech test drove my car initially from cold and identified the rubbing noise & it becomes louder as the car warms up. They went exact same route but in a TI and got the same result. The conclusion was they're not sure what causes the noise or how to fix the problem but they're looking into it and will let me know as and when they have a result.....Yeah right - sloping shoulder syndrome.
If they can't fix it this time then I am going to reject the car based on the evidence given by an independent mechanic arranged through the AA. Looking back at the start of this thread some owners seem to have been lucky but thats assuming that it was the same noise. I even sent ARUK a complete printout of this thread to help them, and they never even bothered to thank me for the help.
AO Member

I did the test drive with the dealer tech from cold with no arguments about the noise once the car was warm. Unfortunately the ARUK tech did not even bother to turn up at the dealers on the following day as previously agreed. I'm not sure who was most pi**ed the dealer or myself, but I have left the car with them for now.

The dealer did mention that the head of ARUK customer service would like to hold a meeting with me, the dealer and their tech, which could be interesting. Anyone else interested in joining the party?
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Does anyone still with this issue on an '09 plate? I have a colleague who is looking to get a 159 but after I had the issue he is keen to know if this has been remedied at assembly/build?

Any comments would be appreciated.
AO Member

ARUK are still denying that there is an issue so I doubt that anything has been done. My Brera S was a 58 and I doubt that many new cars have been made since then, and I am sure they won't tell you if you ask.

I have agreed to another test drive in June and a meeting with the technical rep from ARUK and the zone area technical manager, so I hope they turn up this time. Following the previous c..k up, ARUK blamed the dealer for not following the correct procedure, needless to say he wasn't very complimentary about ARUK in return.

The reason for the 4th test drive is apparantly because they want to be sure about the exact noise I am complaining about even though they have already amited that there is a noise in their first technical report.

Looking on the bright side I can't always here the noise now, but maybe that's because it is drowned out by the squeaking seat and creaking dash.

I still want the car fixed as every now and then I can ignore these problems and I get a glimpse of what a fantastic car it can be.

County: Highlands
Crazed Rubbing Noise

I am new member to Forum and have been looking for solution to rubbing noise problem with my 159TI 1.9jtdm. I have had the car from new and noticed problem within couple of weeks of ownership. This was identified at the time and the car has been back several times to fit new drive shaft, new bearing, new seal and recently another bearing technically known as a 'Spider'??. Everytime the car comes back it drives as before. No solution to problem. Dealership has said they are awaiting solution from ARUK.
Like others on this thread, noise is not apparent when engine is cold but becomes prominent when engine approaches running temperature. Car runs smooth enough but noise is annoying in 1st/2nd gear with radio turned off.

Incidentally, had the car back to AR dealership to resolve other minor problems with wind noise on drivers side. Happy to say wind noise has been sorted by fitting new seal to door and a fix to the drivers side door mirror.

Got car back on Sat morning after fitting new door seal. Sunday during the night we had some snow fall and in the morning I noted that all four windows on car were down with the inside covered in a dusting of the white stuff. The wife informs me that the alarm was sounding and she silenced it with key fob that morning. I 'kindly' suggested to her that she may have inadvertently held down the key fob and opened all windows. After a minor domestic and some interior cleaning the car was left for a few hours only for the same thing to happen again. This time the keys were in the drawer so I made my apologies, then first thing Monday phoned Dealership. The car remains with them and I again suggested they look at the issue with the rubbing noise. I await their response.

Has their been a definitive solution to the constant rubbing noise???. My romance with the car is cooling off.
ukmike2008

I had my o/s drive shaft changed in spite of dealer suggesting the noise was probably tyre noise. The solution made not a ha'porth of difference.
Then they suggested it is the fuel pump - possible noise transmission from the filter housing. Quite credible except it seems to be road-speed related.
End result - no cure and I don't give people lifts anymore.

At least my windows stay up

AO Member

County: West Sussex
The old scuffing noise eh? I've had that from word go on my 159 1.9jtdm and it was diagnosed as needing two sections of drive shaft! After a months wait for the said bits they were fitted and...... well the noise I think is definately better.....but not...gone. I have to admit though its the windscreen wipers that are really driving me nuts at the moment... I've never driven a car where I've found myself 'praying' that the wipers might actually come on when you can't see out of the car windscreen for the amount of rain hitting it. Oh Alfa, why do you make such a complete hash of the simple bits.....
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
My 159 had a new gearbox fitted which seemd to stop this noise. However, from what I have read on here, it is a prop/drive shaft with a high spot which causes the speed related rubbing, perhaps this was changed at the same time as the gearbox. There is still a slight noise from my car but I'm not convinced it isn't a noise/vibration resonating from the engine.

County: Highlands
Many Thanks for your replies. Will be asking ARUK for fix to rubbing noise.
Had to deliver spare key to dealership yesterday as original key was left in ignition by mechanic and car self locked. Do not know what they are trying to fix/replace. Sounds like electrical fault.
AO Member

County: Vaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa107 View Post
The old scuffing noise eh? I've had that from word go on my 159 1.9jtdm and it was diagnosed as needing two sections of drive shaft! After a months wait for the said bits they were fitted and...... well the noise I think is definately better.....but not...gone. I have to admit though its the windscreen wipers that are really driving me nuts at the moment... I've never driven a car where I've found myself 'praying' that the wipers might actually come on when you can't see out of the car windscreen for the amount of rain hitting it. Oh Alfa, why do you make such a complete hash of the simple bits.....
Don't have this shaft problem on the 3.2 but I had a similar issue with my old 156 2.4 20V SW. The car ate drive shafts albeit because they could not withstand all that low end torque going through them. The issue was really noticeable on when the car was warm especially on motorway driving. The final diagnosis was that grease that the shafts were packed with was the wrong type?

Hi there with this rubbing noise are you finding alot of backlash in 1st & 2nd crawling in traffic mine is terrible
ukmike2008

Mine made the scuffing noise from new, but there was no excessive backlash in the drive train. They never came up with a cure and I got rid of the car in the end.

You could be having hesitation/flat spot problems at lower revs - what engine have you got?

AO Member

County: Essex
I am getting the same problem on my Brera S even after both drive shafts and a wheel bearing replaced. It feels and sounds like transmission and the backlash in 1st and 2nd is terrible, just letting the clutch up in 1st in traffic gets a good clunk. Car has done 11,000 in 2 years so its not mileage. Want to try changing the gearbox oil to some decent stuff but need to work out where the drain and filler are. Not taking it back to AMC ever again though, will get Jamie Porter to sort it all out.

County: Somerset
constant rubbing noise

I've recently taken the plunge and purchased my first ever alfa - 2008 159 diesel. Having owned a mecedes c class and Saab 95 3.0tid in the past the Alfa is by far the best car I have owned.
However.....

I have been reading all your threads with great interest.

Whilst I am very happy with the car in the two months of ownership I have come across a couple of issues:

1.0 Constant rubbing noise at low speeds <20mph
2.0 Noisy tappety sound (even when the car is warmed up)

The car went to the dealers and they could not hear the noise but did swap the tyeres around, but the nosie is still present

They tried to solve the tappet noise by adding a little more engine oil but this has not solved the problem.

I will contact the delaer again and highlight the potential prop shaft fix highlighted in this thread - and let you know the outcome

Have any of you suffered from the tappet type noise even when the car is warmed up

thanks in anticipation
ukmike2008

Yes had both of those from new on a 1.9.

Dealer changed a drive shaft to try and cure the noise - but it didn't.

The tappety noise was put down to "noise from the high pressure injectors" - and that wasn't cured either.

I no longer own the car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
constant , noise , rubbing