Constant rubbing noise? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Re: Constant rubbing noise?

Mine's going in tomorrow to have the rubbing noise fixed so I'll mention the driveshaft and bearings. However, unlike others people's cars, I have noticed that the noise doesn't disappear when I depress the clutch or take it out of gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

AwB my 159 is FM57 I got it as an ex Demo in May from a dealer in Nottingham Variava. When I got it it had 6500 on the clock ..and I noticed the noise as soon as I went to work on the Monday. I travel the stretch of M62 between Brighouse and Leeds and you never get above 20 mph..it always seems loudest when I travel uphill . Anyhow I went to the nearest competent AR dealer, after I took a day of work to go back to Variava but the did nt sort it ,Picadiily Motors ,in Knaresborough and they were very good but couldnt isolate the noise they thought it might be a high spot on a rotating part and if so it might wear down .We agreed to sort it if the noise was still there at the 18k service. I do a lot of miles and my service is due . Piccadilly have spoken to AR and they are more or less confirming it is the drive shaft ..it is booked in next Tuesday ..so fingers crossed. Other than that the car is totally reliable and a pleasure to drive just like my GT, 156 before it
AwB
AO Member

County: Greater London

GRM001 - that sounds about right. The noise was most apparent when everything was nice and warm after driving for a short while, especially after a few short bursts to clear traffic lights etc. I did notice a slight reduction after motorway stints - but that might have been just getting used to it or ignoring it. I'd pose the question to the dealers and if they don't come up with much then suggest the driveshaft possibility.

I guess the bearing lube may lose a bit of viscocity when it's warmed up so no longer dampens any off-kilter movement(??) Ok, I should stop guessing - in danger of talking out of my rear! I reckon the driveshaft route is a good a place as any to start if the dealer is stumped.

jonblanc - I know HRO had an extensive dialogue with ARUK Technical to try and diagnose the problem. I don't think ARUK had any record of a solution at the time, so hopefully Picadilly have benefited from HRO's diligence.

The uphill point would be right, if you believe the arguement of the driveshaft bearing - it would be under greatest load accelerating up hill. I would have thought that after nearly 18k, any "high-spots" would have worn. Personally, I would be concerned with that answer.

Hope you get it sorted on Tuesday - keep us posted. My Brera's a proper beaut. now she's fixed. The smile's back!
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

I have had this noise since new. Car is a 159 Ti 1.9 JTDM wiith 1500 miles.

The dealer has had a couple of goes now but has apparently put it down to a gear box issue, more specifically the input shaft. They are taking it for 3 days next week to correct this although having never read this thread before, I'm a little anxious that it is a driveshaft like others have reported here. Apparently they are going to change the gearbox and if that doesn't cure it, I don't know what I'll do.
AO Member

My car is at the dealers at the moment for this problem. I mentioned to them that others on this forum had had simliar issues and that the driveshaft bearing had been at fault in at least one case. The car was supposed to ready tomorrow or Monday but I received a call to say that it won't be ready until Thursday because they are waiting for a part to arrive. Turns out that the part in question is the driveshaft bearing so hopefully AR are now confident that this is the cause and we can all get our cars sorted without having to endure any more fruitless trips to the dealer.

Don't want to count my chickens though until I get back behind the wheel.
(Post Link) post #56 of 120 Old 22-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward29 View Post
My car is at the dealers at the moment for this problem. I mentioned to them that others on this forum had had simliar issues and that the driveshaft bearing had been at fault in at least one case. The car was supposed to ready tomorrow or Monday but I received a call to say that it won't be ready until Thursday because they are waiting for a part to arrive. Turns out that the part in question is the driveshaft bearing so hopefully AR are now confident that this is the cause and we can all get our cars sorted without having to endure any more fruitless trips to the dealer.

Don't want to count my chickens though until I get back behind the wheel.
Will be very interested to hear if yours is sorted by the bearing fix. Mine has been back 4 times with no resolution
ukmike2008

We await the results with bated breath. Would be nice to know that if I drive below 20mph my passengers won't have anything to criticise under the heading of "Alfa Romeo reliability"

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Unfortunately the techs could not find any unusual noises when I left the car with them, but it is still there, especially when changing gear at lower speeds after about 10-15 minutes driving. Its got to go back for a new tail pipe, a new seat trim, and 2 new leather door panels which the dealer has decided are not right, so I will have to have a test drive with another tech. The only problem is that after a long drive the noise is harder to spot so I am not sure how to do this, maybe I can get the tech to drop the hire car off when I am at work.
AO Member

Mine is going in tomorrow for the RHS driveshaft changing which should eliminate the rubbing noise.Rigid my dealer was happy to change the gearbox some months ago but he was loathe to do this if it turned out not to be the problem and that the thing was solved by changing a part he asked me to wait and see if the fault was resolved over time ...with a bit of luck he could be right.

It turns out that it is likely to be the rhs driveshaft because whereas the lhs connects directly into the gearbox the rhs has a few connections so hence the faulty bearing. I am saying this hypothetically wont know till tomorrow evening ....fingers crossed !!!
AO Member

Got my car back last night ...all I can say is that even though the driveshaft has been changed the result is inconclusive. When we took the car for a test drive both myself and the mechanic still heard the rubbing noise allthough it was not as clear as before so it was decided they would speak with the AR guy who will be at the dealers this Thursday.On my way home I had to stop and crawl in traffic at the top of the M621 and I couldnt hear it the noise had gone but reappeared later in the evening when I made another journey. This morning on my way to work on the M62 when I always hear the rubbing noise it had gone. So at best its gone at worst it is intermittent ..will keep this forum posted.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblanc View Post
Got my car back last night ...all I can say is that even though the driveshaft has been changed the result is inconclusive. When we took the car for a test drive both myself and the mechanic still heard the rubbing noise allthough it was not as clear as before so it was decided they would speak with the AR guy who will be at the dealers this Thursday.On my way home I had to stop and crawl in traffic at the top of the M621 and I couldnt hear it the noise had gone but reappeared later in the evening when I made another journey. This morning on my way to work on the M62 when I always hear the rubbing noise it had gone. So at best its gone at worst it is intermittent ..will keep this forum posted.
Can you tell us which dealer you are using please?
AO Member

The dealer I am using is Piccadilly Alfa in Knaresborough ,N.Yorkshire.

This morning I tried very hard to hear the rubbing noise but couldnt ...so the changed drive shaft has made a difference .
AO Member

I got my car back today after it went in to have the driveshaft and bearing replaced and I'm pleased to say that the rubbing noise has gone!

Well happy.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblanc View Post
The dealer I am using is Piccadilly Alfa in Knaresborough ,N.Yorkshire.

This morning I tried very hard to hear the rubbing noise but couldnt ...so the changed drive shaft has made a difference .
Not my dealer unfortunately, but thanks for tellings us. Great to hear you've found a solution.
AO Member

So it looks like it is almost certainly the drive shaft then, since at least 3 people have now confirmed this. This is good as I still need this to be fixed on my car when it goes back in for the new door panels etc.

Just one more question, could anyone confirm that the noise can not be heard when the car is cold? I can only hear this on my car once the oil temperature is close to normal.
(Post Link) post #66 of 120 Old 30-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRM001 View Post
So it looks like it is almost certainly the drive shaft then, since at least 3 people have now confirmed this. This is good as I still need this to be fixed on my car when it goes back in for the new door panels etc.

Just one more question, could anyone confirm that the noise can not be heard when the car is cold? I can only hear this on my car once the oil temperature is close to normal.

It is there when cold but gets considerably louder as the engine warms up.
AO Member

Got my car back on Monday and so far so good, no rubbing noise. They reported to me that it was input shaft on the gearbox causing the noise but didn't mention a drive shaft.

Definitely happier.
AwB
AO Member

County: Greater London

Rigid27 - so was the noise you experienced revs-related, rather than wheel-speed related?
(Post Link) post #69 of 120 Old 05-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, dropped the car to the dealer, left it there for 2 days, went on road test with mechanic after he claimed he could not hear the noise!!!

Told them about the drive shaft bearing fix. They called me back and said it was a wheel bearing. I said that I doubted it but they were welcome to waste their time.

Guess what?....................
Returned next day to collect car and surprise surprise noise still there!!! Why do these people insist on not listening

Oh and apparently the tyre wear is normal as is 33mpg

I will not let this lie

"I love my 159 ti!!"
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwB View Post
Rigid27 - so was the noise you experienced revs-related, rather than wheel-speed related?
Yes, the noise was revs related, disappeared when I pressed the clutch in.

Apparently there are two shafts in the gearbox, one linked to 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the other to 4th, 5th and 6th. The mechanic told me that they had the car on a ramp and drove it through all the gears and it disappeared from 4th gear to 6th which helped them identiy which shaft it was.

Seems like a different car now, I'm not listening for noises all the time so that's a relief!
AO Member

Last edited by Hirso; 27-12-08 at 13:49.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward29 View Post
I got my car back today after it went in to have the driveshaft and bearing replaced and I'm pleased to say that the rubbing noise has gone!

Well happy.
Spoke too soon. It's back. It's not as loud as it was before but it's definitely there.

Might try Rigid27's solution and ask for the input shaft to be replaced.
AO Member

My car is back with the dealer today and top of the list is the rubbing noise, but this time the tech agreed that he could hear something so I hope to have some good news soon, it would certainly be a great Christmas present.

I did suggest that he should check out this forum if ARUK can't help.

The other things on the list include a replacement tailpipe (£600) apparently and 2 new leather door panels that the dealer was not happy with (£500 each), and a clicking noise as the car is warming up.
AO Member

More bad news.

the dealer has agreed that there is a problem and that they can hear the rubbing noise, which is apparently even more noticeable on their own demo 2.2 S.

Unfortunately they could not find the cause and as yet ARUK have not even got this fault listed on the dealer database.

The dealer is reluctant to start replacing parts until they get some more information from ARUK but so far they have not even got back to the dealer even though they had the car for 3 days.

This is my 3rd visit to the dealers with the 2 round trips taking approx 4 hours in total each time so I am more than a bit disappointed. I hoper to talk to ARUK today and will let you know their response later.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

My 3mnth old Lusso went in for some work and I had them check the rubbing noise. Technician confirmed the noise but are refering back to AR Technical before or If to carryout any work. He did mention this problem has already been recorded by AR Technical.
I'll wait and see.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
constant , noise , rubbing