Constant rubbing noise? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

ukmike2008

Re: Constant rubbing noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Indigo View Post
Going back in next Thursday!!
Is this becoming a regular Thursday lunch date? There will be talk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Any updates on this rubbing noise as I got my Alfa yesterday and it has the same noise as you describe, sounds like its the back left and as you say its louder the slower you go - keep the music up and your foot down! lol Am gonna go check pressures etc. today see if that helps??
AO Member

This might sound unlikely but its not the road surface is it? I thought my car had developed a sort of rubbing / thrumming noise from the front wheels and it wasn't until I took a Lupo over the same stretch of road that I realised it was the road surface causing it.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

I had mine checked today at the dealers. They checked everything they could think of and swapped the front a rear wheels around but to no avail. They are going to contact Alfa and ask them to send a technician up to look at the car. The mechanic said that once Alfa recognise and hopefully rectify the problem then it will be registered as a known fault on the national computer system so that other dealers can see how to solve it.
ukmike2008

When you have a problem and you don't know what is causing that disturbing noise, you turn to your friendly neighbourhood dealer. You sort of expect better than them scratching their heads and saying, "Thats a strange and disturbing noise, I wonder what's causing that?"........or is it just me?

(Post Link) post #31 of 120 Old 19-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Went to the dealer Wednesday. A mechanic looked at the car and we went on a road test. He said it sounds like a bearing but will need a closer look, it's going back in week after next for a good look over. He thinks it's a bearing within the engine area ie part of the cam belt system etc. We will see.

I also questioned him on whether Saab or Vauxhall are suffering from the same problem as they use the same unit, he said absolutely not as the Alfa engine is very different! He claims that Alfa have completely overhauled the unit and changed the pistons etc. He has worked for Alfa for over 20 years so he may know a bit.

Watch this space

"I love my 159 ti!!"
ukmike2008

I think this must be an Italian version of the old "chafing" joke where they end up cutting off the tops of her wellies

ukmike2008

Re "the noise" - I have been experimenting and it seems to be a weird engine noise. Find a speed where you hear the "rubbing" - coast along at that speed with the clutch pressed down and the engine idling - voila the noise disappears. Bring engine speed back up - the noise comes back. Once you have worked this out, you can get the noise to come back even when stationary by getting the correct engine speed.

Very weird - seems to be some kind of resonance effect - investigations continue!

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Think my noise is definately a wheel bearing or the tyre as noise continues when coasting so not the engine.
AO Member

Mine's booked in at the local dealer at the end of the month so that a technician from ARUK can come and look at it to shed light on the problem. I have to leave the car with them for a week (! ) because ARUK technicians apparently can't/won't agree to visit the dealer on a given date to look at the car. Apparently the dealer has to have the car in and only then can they contact ARUK to ask for a technician to come and see the car. Obviously the chances of a technician being available to visit the car on the same day are slim, hence the need for the car to stay at the garage for a few days.

Is it just me or does that seem ridiculous?

Not v happy. So if anyone manages to find a solution to this problem before the end of the month then please let me know so I don't need to be without my car for a week.

Thanks
ukmike2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward29 View Post
Mine's booked in at the local dealer at the end of the month so that a technician from ARUK can come and look at it to shed light on the problem. I have to leave the car with them for a week (! ) because ARUK technicians apparently can't/won't agree to visit the dealer on a given date to look at the car. Apparently the dealer has to have the car in and only then can they contact ARUK to ask for a technician to come and see the car. Obviously the chances of a technician being available to visit the car on the same day are slim, hence the need for the car to stay at the garage for a few days.

Its a barmy situation I agree. Can you send the ARUK techie to me afterwards and tell him there is a queue forming? In the meantime I try not to trickle along at 30 mph ish because thats when it sounds worst.

County: Utrecht

Hi,

I have the same problem, after 2 visits the dealer was not able to fix this.

I was thinking: maybe it is a problem caused by the tires. My car has Continental tires. Does anybody with any other brand tires have the same problem? This would rule out the tires to be the cause of the problem
AO Member

County: Hampshire

This seems to be exactly the same problem as the thread "Help... Noisy clutch"

AwB is currently having his car looked at by HR Owen, they first thought it was an exhaust bracket rubbing, but are now talking about a RHS drive shaft bearing.

My Brera S is booked in next week. If this is the same problem it is noticeable during gently gear changes and very noticeable around 300rpm when you ease up off the accelerator, and disappears if you press the clutch.

Hmmm, i have the 1.9 16v TI with Q-tronic... Can it still be the clutch?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmike2008 View Post
Re "the noise" - I have been experimenting and it seems to be a weird engine noise. Find a speed where you hear the "rubbing" - coast along at that speed with the clutch pressed down and the engine idling - voila the noise disappears. Bring engine speed back up - the noise comes back. Once you have worked this out, you can get the noise to come back even when stationary by getting the correct engine speed.

Very weird - seems to be some kind of resonance effect - investigations continue!
I have just read back through this post and found your comment regarding the noise still being there when stationery, I have not checked this yet but will do it on the way home tonight. If this is the same noise then surely this should help identify the problem.

Incidentally does anyone not have this 'characteristic' noise?
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

I have a 159 SW 1.9JTDM on a 57 plate I have had it now since May 08 . Not long after I bought it I was stuck in traffic on the M62 and crawling at low speed less than 20 mph ..I noticed and intermittent rubbing noise that was consistent with something rotating and catching on something. It followed the turn of the engine for as the speed picked up the rubbing noise got faster as it slowed down it got slower. When I depressed the clutch it disappeared when I engaged the clutch it returned. When I went over 20/25 mph it dissappeared. I took it to my dealer who concluded it was not the wheels , bearings or tyres but possiblly something in the gear box like a high spot which might wear down . He advised to leave it till 18k service at which point they would look at changing the gear box. I am at 18k miles and wondered if anybody has had a similar problem and what the resolution was. It could be the clutch
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward29 View Post

Not v happy. So if anyone manages to find a solution to this problem before the end of the month then please let me know so I don't need to be without my car for a week.

Thanks

Thought I'd add an update. The car went in for a week. AR didn't manage to get anyone out to the car for 4 days for some reason or other and then couldn't diagnose the problem. I then had a phone call from Ben at AR customer service (who was a complete tool and I'm happy to hear has now left) to ask if they could have the car for another week, or even longer (!!!!!) to get it fixed. Aforementioned tool said that he would contact me to organise for a technician to visit the local dealer again for further investigation.

Because I didn't hear anything back from AR I called them for an update. My case is now being dealt with by a guy called Jamil who I can't rate highly enough. He apologised for the inconvenience and genuinely seems to want to get the issue fixed. He was also happy to organise a 159 as a replacement car rather than the 147's that Desira offer. I mentioned that other people on this forum were having the same issue with the rubbing noise so hopefully all dealers will be told what the solution is once they sort mine out, if not before.

I'm dropping the car off next Wednesday so I'll keep you posted once I get it back the following on Monday.
ukmike2008

Thanks for the update SW - mine is still making the noise at slow crawling speeds and it would be good if the nice garage men could make it go away.
Please keep us posted

Hi, this is a cross-posting from topic:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...sy-clutch.html

It seems there is a solution for the problem described here:

"Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread...

FIXED !!!

The replacement of part of the RHS driveshaft (including a mid-shaft bearing I think) has been successful in fixing the noise. It's gone!

Apparently the old bearing was very 'rough' - so was likely to be the main cause of the noise. Why the bearing should wear that severely after 3k miles I don't know - must have been dodgy from manufacture.

Praise goes to HR Owen in Chelsea. Dan in servicing and Richard, one of the principal engineers, have both been very thorough in diagnosing and solving the problem."

Last edited by sjakie30; 14-11-08 at 12:50.
AO Member

I am not a mechanic and I do not claim to know how the drive shaft to the wheels is connected to the gear box however if the clutch is depressed and disconnects the drive to the driveshaft ..the driveshaft still rotates so why would the noise disappear?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblanc View Post
I am not a mechanic and I do not claim to know how the drive shaft to the wheels is connected to the gear box however if the clutch is depressed and disconnects the drive to the driveshaft ..the driveshaft still rotates so why would the noise disappear?
Maybe all of the messing around with the bearings etc. has had the effect of re-alinging something else such as the clutch, which is where I still think that the noise is comming from.
AwB
AO Member

County: Greater London

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblanc View Post
That's exactly what I asked the chaps at HRO. It doesn't make sense. Their response was to do with the noise only being apparent when the wheels were under load (and there were therefore greater forces on a duff bearing) - ie in gear, clutch engaged, accelerating or engine braking.

When coasting in neutral or declutched there was no load therefore no noise. One thing to note was that they could not reproduce the noise with the car raised on the stand - ie with no weight or load on the wheels.

I could definitely buy the answer that by replacing part of the driveshaft something was re-aligned (maybe just removing and replacing with the existing part would work too) but I thought I'd share that in any case... noise gone!

Good luck!
AO Member

AwB I am glad you have sorted the noise and thanks for your explanation as to why it was the drive shaft. I have read your thread and note that your car is a petrol engined Brera mine as you will note is a 159 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon. Is it the same problem . I noticed the noise only when I had slowed down to 10-20 mph in either 1st or second gear. The rubbing noise was rotational and followed the turn of the engine the faster the engine the faster the noise once I go beyong 30 mph it merges into the noise of the engine. If at slow speed you depress the clutch it disapprears . I am intrigued to think the same problem is common to different cars with different engines then again the drive shaft could be the same for the Brera and the 159.Just trying to nail it once and for all .
AwB
AO Member

County: Greater London

jonblanc - the issue was exactly as you have described. What's your mileage on your 159?

I'm intrigued to find out whether this description fits vehicles of a specific manufacturing year (my Brera is MY08).

I'm also concerned that there may be an underlying alignment or component problem in the differential or gearbox (following the drive-train back from the wheels).

Anyway, gift horses etc... Hopefully the noise won't return for me. I'm not sure if I have mentioned before, but the mechanic who replaced the driveshaft commented that the driveshaft bearing felt very rough when turning it manually, and suspected a dodgy seal on the bearing.

Hopefully you will be able to convince your dealer that they can hear the noise and point them in the right direction for a fast warranty replacement. My case should be on the ARUK database by now.
AO Member

Something else I have noticed about this noise is the fact that when the car is cold it is hardly noticeable and it is at its loudest after around 10-15 minutes of in town driving. It then becomes less noticeable after a long run of around 45 minutes. Does this help to confirm the diagnosis of HR Owen regarding drive shaft bearings?

My car is booked in tomorrow for a number of niggles to be sorted out including 2 new ones discovered this weekend, the bonnet won't open and the plastic seat base trim is cracked.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
constant , noise , rubbing