2.4 diesel engine running rough? - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
County: Oslo
Quite right

Hi clanger9,

First of all I would like to thank you for the advise.You were quite right. The intake pipe , the one you show on the pic, was just loose-I could move it up and down with two fingers!? And one more pipe, moving from the one you mentioned up and left, the first junction-the pipe tightened crooked and not airtight! All this after the engine passed inspection for airtight at a certified workshop!

By the way, I am driving Alfa 159 ,2008 , 2,4JTDm, 210PS, chip tuned with Race Chip from Germany. The car accelerates as a jet starting from 1400RPM, sliding the 235x45x18 tires also (when need) at the second gear. Could never go over 9,4 ltrs/100km consummation no matter the way of driving, could get down to just little bit under 6,0 ltrs/100km when by driving nice. I use the gasoline station pump and bill for reading liters and the km readings of the car.

Thank you for the help again.

Originally Posted by clanger9 View Post
Hi all,

Hope this is good news for you.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my stuttering 2.4 fixed to no avail. I noticed months ago that the turbo air intake pipe was loose. I pointed it out to the dealer who told me "they're all like that" and "not to worry".

On closer inspection this weekend, I noticed that there's quite a lot of oil leaking from around this pipe where it meets the turbo (see attached pic). If oil is leaking out, then air is leaking IN. This is *not* good, as it'll confuse the hell out of the mass airflow meter and shutter valve (which will battle together in vain to regulate the incoming air...).

So I thought, what the hell, I'll try a temporary fix with an extra hose clip around the pipe. (standard 50-70mm clip, 1.88 for a pack of 2 from B&Q). Slightly tricky to fit, applied just enough pressure to firmly fasten the pipe.

Result: NO STUTTERING! I just drove it 200 miles on a mixture of motorway and country lanes and the engine felt great - better than it's done for months! I think/hope I may have fixed it. (Disclaimer before I get too excited: it did still do its "loss of power and stumble" thing for about 5 miles on the motorway - this may be related to the DPF cleaning cycle, so another problem entirely...)

Anyway, to cut a long story short:
- Is YOUR 2.4 stumbling?
- Is YOUR intake pipe loose? (try gently wobbling it or lifting it up and down)

I'd be really interested to know if fixing the leaky pipe cures the stumbling for others too. Please be careful with that turbo if you do the fix yourself!

If it works for enough people, hopefully we can get AR to organise an official fix.
Sponsored Links

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

diesel , engine , rough , running