Brera alarm beep - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 88 Old 16-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS SV

Brera alarm beep

Anyone know how to turn off the rediculous microwave beep the car alarm system makes when you lock or unlock the car? it's a wee bit embarrasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Re: Brera alarm beep

You can't.

But if you unlock the boot and then
immediately unlock the doors in quick
succession there is no confirmation beep.

(Post Link) post #3 of 88 Old 16-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS SV

Nev, you sound like a man of experience, you're a bit embarrassed by it too maybe?

Nev

Nah, the alarm going off on
it's own is the real embarrassing bit.

AO Member

Never ever had the alarm go off on me but those beeps and the motors on the mirrors are soooooo loud when your trying to sneek in late at night. I have contemplated finding the beeper and stuffing a rag in it or something to try and deaden it down a bit. Is it the same sounder that's used for the alarm I wonder?
scsc

This has to be the most annoying 'feature' of the car. Late nights and early starts can be very embarrassing. I know it would p*ss me off if my neighbour bought one. I just grin apologetically when I get the evil eye.

If anyone has an idea how to muffle the beep I'd be delighted to hear it - the idea that is, not the beep.

AO Member

Come on someone out there must know how to stop this!

It is not the same for all markets some have it some don't so it must be software controlled rather than a change of hardware for each market...In which case someone knows how to do this.

Does anyone have a good dealer relationship so they can find out from Alfa? I hate it, the Americans have beebs because they are too lazy to look at the car when they walk away! I never stop looking at mine so a flash of the lights is all I need.
AO Member

We've asked HR Owen to look into it on our behalf so we'll see if they come up with anything... it is incredibly annoying.

I did find something (I think in the 147 section in here) that you can change the country code.. some countries' breras don't beep... I believe a couple of australian members confirmed their brera / 159 didn't have a confirmation beep - just flashes the indicators like a normal car. So there's hope, in that it's likely a software thing, not hard wired. So in theory, could be turned off.... I wasn't brave enough to try it though, even on the loaner...!!!
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500

It just beeps ...i dont see the problem
Nev

Pop the boot before unlocking the doors.

AO Member

And what about locking it. Is there a similar work arround?
I've been under the bonnet this evening trying to work out where the sound comes from but just can't trace it down. It seems to come from somewhere within the passenger side light cluster (I think)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa 4eva View Post
It just beeps ...i dont see the problem
In normal life i.e. between 08:30 and 22:00 it isn't but 04:30 in the morning when sometimes I need to leave the house it is 10 times louder than any other time, add to that the time of year when every bedroom window in my cul-de-sac is open then it becomes a problem...
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

I leave very early in the morning too normally and I just do what Nev Said !!
AO Member

It's just the opposite for me, I tend to be getting back late and also live in a very quiet cul-de-sac. As I approach home, I normally go onto sidelights, fold the mirrors and creep down the road but then thse bloody beeps make it all a bit pointless.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
It's just the opposite for me, I tend to be getting back late and also live in a very quiet cul-de-sac. As I approach home, I normally go onto sidelights, fold the mirrors and creep down the road but then thse bloody beeps make it all a bit pointless.
Used to coast down my old cul-de-sac on my old RD350LC until one day when I switched the ignition off and the steering lock on in one move - certainly woke all the neighbours up that night
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0jtd

I agree with Alfa 4eva. What's the problem? The beep lasts no time at all and, living in the last house in a cul de sac, I can tell you that it is but a whisper compared to my neighbour's Vespa. Almost makes shift working a pleasure if the little squeak from my alarm wakes the Vespa owner!!! Not that I'm vindictive or anything!!

I got my new 159 Ti delivered yesterday...........WHAT A STUNNING CAR..........and the first thing my wife said was that it sounded like a microwave when you lock/unlock.

SOMEBODY MUST KNOW A WAY TO TURN IT OFF!!!
(Post Link) post #18 of 88 Old 19-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS SV

Well it didn't bother me untill my better half said it sounded like a microwave either. Now i wince everytime i hear it. Cheers for the boot trick that's 50% otf the problem fixed, now for locking it.......
AO Member

County: Kent

Bump...

anyone got an answer for this yet, must be something we can do, read a few posts with people with 159's outside uk without beeps so i must be possible ??
AO Silver Member

County: Essex

I have located the beep/siren combo, and after un-doing some bolts I could read the manufacturer details.
Now at this point I'am fully aware this is a public forum, and may have peeps that would miss use more exact info so sorry for being vague.
I have spoken to the alarm manufacturer and they have confirmed that on many of their units the beeps can be turned off through software change, he explained the problem is that it depends on how Alfa have wired their unit in the factory, as it is possible on some vehicles to re-program through the CanBus, he said the deelers should know if that is possible.
The other way he explained is to access the alarms control box directly and reprogram that way.
So here lies the next step, locating this "main alarm control box"!
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MITO + Giulia

The beep is not only annoying but what on earth is it for? I'm standing next to the car, I press the key fob, I hear quite plainly the door locks operate, I see the lights flash and the red LED, why do I need a beep? Maybe Alfa are expecting blind people to drive their cars.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
The beep is not only annoying but what on earth is it for? I'm standing next to the car, I press the key fob, I hear quite plainly the door locks operate, I see the lights flash and the red LED, why do I need a beep? Maybe Alfa are expecting blind people to drive their cars.
+1.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
It's to make sure every time you're stood next to your car locking &/or unlocking it everyone looks round and sees that it's you who owns the gorgeous car (or alternatively thinks 'stupid ****' )
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

2009 159 JtdM Ti

I put this down for my 'wish list' item on the Cloverleaf Club. Got a friendly email back saying my comments would be passed on to Italy.

I'ts probably partly a culture thing. There's us Brits coasting down our cul-de-sacs so as not to annoy anyone. I think the Italian's are perhaps a little more relaxed about whether they annoy anyone or not! Read, they don't give a toss and just want to announce their departure/arrival!
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

159 JTDm 16v

Bump! Any updates on how this might be solved, or failing that, where the damned beep comes from so I can muffle it somehow. Only had a the car a week and already getting looks from the neighbours when unlocking early morning

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alarm , beep , brera

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page