Brera alarm beep - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
wasn't the crew at Mangoletsi capable to do something about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ukmike2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwuk View Post
I put this down for my 'wish list' item on the Cloverleaf Club. Got a friendly email back saying my comments would be passed on to Italy.

I'ts probably partly a culture thing. There's us Brits coasting down our cul-de-sacs so as not to annoy anyone. I think the Italian's are perhaps a little more relaxed about whether they annoy anyone or not! Read, they don't give a toss and just want to announce their departure/arrival!
I am picturing a big Italian shrug in the Customer Technical Queries Department.

In many countries the alarm is an option anyhow - only the Brits need the comfort of the alarm to get cheaper insurance (though you wouldn't think so to see the size of the premiums!)

PS - if it was easy to turn the beep off, about 90% of the owners would have done it by now. I think its the Australian settings that cancel the beep? But then your Blue&Me says "G'day, whaddya want Pommy?"

AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

159 JTDm 16v

Yeah, I dont think the techie solution will come easily, but the gaffa tape solution could be finished by lunchtime tomorrow if someone can tell me where the noise originates

AO Member

County: Northumberland
It bugs me too.

waking the whole house up earlie.

Has no one thought of the obvious here or is it just me being an electronic engineer!

the simple solution: cable tie some foam rubber over the horn part of the siren!

you will still hear it but it will be alot lower and muffeld.

Electronic solution: Will i havent even looked at the unit but i will tomorrow.
Easy to turn off sound and to lower the sound electronicly but problem would be when the car's alarm would go off when you need it loud.

I think i could live with the beeps but at half the volume and the alarm is very loud so wont be to badly effected.

I feel a mod coming on!
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDm 16v

Yes that's exactly what I'd like to do, if I could just find where that horn is!
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexT View Post
wasn't the crew at Mangoletsi capable to do something about it?
Correct!!
They need a unique code from ARUK for each car, but then it can be changed to Austrian spec ie no beeps IIRC.
BeggarsBanquet

Last edited by BeggarsBanquet; 24-08-10 at 09:18.

AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDm 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith1 View Post
Correct!!
They need a unique code from ARUK for each car, but then it can be changed to Austrian spec ie no beeps IIRC.
Well that sounds promising but Mangoletsi garage is a long way from me. Do you think they'd speak to the service dept at my local dealer to help them sort it out? So far my local dealer has said it's "not possible" but I'm not convinced.
AO Member

On the positive....

Came out of work today and forgot where i had parked in a very busy and full car park.
pressed the button from over a hundred yards away and my microwave err car shouted to me to let me know
where she was.

The wifes bmw does'nt do that just flashes its lights once, but maybe BMW should start copying Alfa's bleeps as every other car is a bloody BMW and trying to find yours in a sea of them in a hugh carpark is a nightmare.
AO Member

Alarm Siren is located just under the front of the battery tray behind the passanger headlight.

easy to find with a plug on top and horn on bottom, easy to wrap a bit of foam rubber around with cable ties.
deadens the bleep noise nicely. but still loud enough on full alarm.

but dont use anything that hold's water to deaden the horn as it could cause problems.

easy fix
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDm 16v

Thanks! Been out this afternoon and done just that - SO much better and really easy to do. I found that if you separate the horn from the bracket there is just enough room to pull it upwards. Used a small square of cloth and electrical tape for the moment, but will replace with a proper shaped lump of foam rubber when I can get some.

I didn't dare unplug the horn as I noticed the "battery inside" warning sticker which suggests it might go off if unplugged! No need to really though, as you can work with it plugged in.
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Well that sounds promising but Mangoletsi garage is a long way from me. Do you think they'd speak to the service dept at my local dealer to help them sort it out? So far my local dealer has said it's "not possible" but I'm not convinced.
MikeyRules on here had his Spider done, I watched it alarm/diss arm in silence, so it is definately possible with the right unique codes and know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Alarm Siren is located just under the front of the battery tray behind the passanger headlight.

easy to find with a plug on top and horn on bottom, easy to wrap a bit of foam rubber around with cable ties.
deadens the bleep noise nicely. but still loud enough on full alarm.

but dont use anything that hold's water to deaden the horn as it could cause problems.

easy fix
Hope those details don't fall into the wrong hands...
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.4

It can be turned of, you will need to get a dealer or inde with the EXAMINER diagnostics to change the country code too some where like Belgium as it is illegal to have a sound when locking or unlocking the Car in that country.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
i like it beeping as people look around annoyed then see the car and smile-or at least less furrow of brow.
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACER View Post
It can be turned of, you will need to get a dealer or inde with the EXAMINER diagnostics to change the country code too some where like Belgium as it is illegal to have a sound when locking or unlocking the Car in that country.
And bring your code card!

In future versions of FiatEcuScan it will be possible to change the "country code" of the alarm.
AO Member

County: -
DO NOT DISABLE THE BEEP!

I read in the Sunday Times today that thieves are using signal jammers to stop cars locking when owners use the key fob.
Most people assume the car has locked after the key press, or are too busy dealing with kids or shopping to look for the flashing indicators.

Apparently a whole street can be jammed and then in car goodies can be stolen during the night. People tend not to report incidents to the police thinking they must have forgotten to lock the car.

A reassuring beep from my Alfa is now a desirable feature
If it's any extra comfort, the Maserati Quattroporte has the same feature
AO Member

Its now possible to set the beep on and off with FiatEcuScan version 2.4
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Errr, wrong. I have a very much Alfa beep in Belgium, so changing to that country code won't help.
AO Member

County: Dorset
I cannot see the problem, it may sound like a microwave to some but in comparison to many other vehicles....and surely it cannot be any louder than starting the car up at stupid oclock in a quiet cul de sac, especially if you have a diesel or a 2.2 which usually decides to rev to over 2000 rpm for a few seconds, or does the volume of the beeps vary from car to car ?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_mccain View Post
Errr, wrong. I have a very much Alfa beep in Belgium, so changing to that country code won't help.
I dont know what you did wrong or if you even tryed it BUT I did and it works.
I can even disable the indicator flashing when arming or disarming.

Did you try to use dutch (NL) settings? = No beep

You need a ELM327 cable for this and the registrated version off FiatEcuScan and your code card.
Astro

Lucky with the Japanese models, they have no beep for lock or unlock, just a dual flash of the indicators, the side morrors fold in automatically and then its all shut. BUT, I can not find out how to dead lock it via Nevs instructions...tried to do it many times so perhaps I do not have it?

AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 MA

Jerry, sorry, I was replying Tracer. haven't tried FiatEcuScan yet. Just wanted to let ppl know that 159 comes out with a beep on the Belgian market.
Astro

I dont think the Fiat ECU Scan will adjust that though, I could be completely wrong here, but I would think that you need the more indepth software that Alfa use to get in deeper. JBSmith, whats your take on that?

AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Lucky with the Japanese models, they have no beep for lock or unlock, just a dual flash of the indicators, the side morrors fold in automatically and then its all shut. BUT, I can not find out how to dead lock it via Nevs instructions...tried to do it many times so perhaps I do not have it?
I read that the deadlock isn't always fitted as standard in other countries than the UK. My Brera ii has it - the second press needs to be quite quick (around a second, not quite a double click but not quite two separate clicks, if you follow ).

I don't know if you can check with your dealer that the deadlock is fitted?
AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Flip what a bunch of moaners

I like the beeping and no one who lives in my area cares that my car beeps for one second when i open or close it.

Why does everyone only care now? Alfas have been doing this for years!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alarm , beep , brera

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page