Clutch clunk! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 02-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Clutch clunk!

Hi,

Since buying my 159 several months ago i have notcied that at slower speeds changing gear there is a clunk noise at the end of the clutch travel as if there is some slack in the driveline, seems to disappear at higher speeds, try to drive round it by blending the clutch in slower at the top end.

I also get a low speed knock form the front suspension area over uneven surfaces, not pot holes etc. but general road surface, man hole covers etc Could this be connected to the above, may be a drive shaft perhaps?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Lancia!

Re: Clutch clunk!

Hi John - I have the same car as you and noted a similar noise especially going from 2nd to 3rd? Was in at the local main dealer but they could not find anything wrong and reported it to be a 'characteristic' of the car? Mines not all the time and not very noticable but I wanted it checked.....Keeping my eye on it....
I got them to check driveshafts etc but all clear?
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Mine is the same

AO Member

Same here
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Hi Johns159 - Ive had 3 clutches replaced on my Brera. Had similar problem than you. Ps. I'm not a techie, but I'll try & explain my experience as best as I can. Get your car on a lift, check your driveshaft-there is a bracket close to the bearing holding the driveshaft in place (right in the middle/centre of vehicle). Mine was tightened and the problem was resolved.
(Post Link) post #6 of 37 Old 03-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Hi Phoenix,

Is this an undertray off and dealer job or can i get to it myself do you think?

It definatly sounds like this, I described it to the dealer as if it sounds like a metal plate that was loose but just had it back today after a new shock absorber and air con drain leak problem being fixed, rather do it myself i think, i mentioned it to them but they could not find anything wrong when they had it.....
AO Member

Member car:

Lancia!

John as mentioned its exactly the same with my car - main dealer found nothing - I have found that if you are extremely smooth with your clutch release on changing the noise is eliminated.........
I wanted mine checked for assurance as off to Devon in it next weekend. If something does go then I will be extremely angry!....but they assured me that they tried two other 1.9 JTDm's that were in stock and they were the same............we'll see
AO Member

County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

not the same problem but it's clutch related and it seems funny to me (even if it should really worry me cause most certainly is from the hydraulics): when the engine/car is cold it creaks when pressing and releasing it about the middle of the travel and it does that only with the engine on when I turn off the engine it's smooth as it's supposed to be
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

Hi John. No its not the tray. Its a funny looking bracket that keeps your drive shaft (ds) in place. Get your car on a lift. Wiggle your ds to see if it moves easily from side 2 side. If yes, thats most prob the cause since it rattles against your car's body especially during gear change. It will take you 2 min to tighten the bracket that holds it in place. Hope it helps. Sorted my prob out that way.
AO Member

Member car:

Lancia!

Reviving this - anyone else got this clunk? I still have but the dealer says its a 'feature of the car' ?!
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

q4 2.4 - yes clunk but diagnosed to propshaft to centre diff - obviously not a problem with the 1.9 fwd

normal apparently - gggrrr ....er yep on a 120k mile clunk not 13k miles - i'll be pressing somewhat to get it resolved....
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nello View Post
Reviving this - anyone else got this clunk? I still have but the dealer says its a 'feature of the car' ?!
My ti is in at Simonstone in Bristol for the annual service today, I asked them to look at this issue (I have the most noticable 'clunk' going from 2nd to 3rd) and after the test drive they've rung me back to say they want to take the gearbox out to try and identify the problem. Slightly nervous about that, but will let them do their job.

I mentioned the driveshaft bracket thing and they are going to check that first but technician thinks it is internal gearbox issue...

Will keep you up to date with what happens, not especially pleased to be stuck with the box of a courtesy car they've given me - an '08 Fiat Panda 1.2.
Last time she was in I had a Brera so I was somewhat disappointed to get lumbered with the Panda
AO Member

An update from the service department after stripping the gearbox

Apparently an internal mechanical failure with (some of/one of?) the synchronisers.

I asked them about the possible cause and they said it's just a mechanical failure, nothing to do with the use of the clutch or driving style. It seems from posts on here that similar problems exist for a lot of 159 drivers, but I find it hard to believe that we are all suffering such failures unless there is a fundamental design flaw?! Perhaps my case goes beyond the usual complaints of slight clunking? Although that is how I would describe it - a slight clunk, most obvious between 2nd and 3rd gear...

Anyway, parts are on order, some of which are coming from Italy, delivery estimate is Saturday,they come via the chunnel which is obviously having problems after the fire blah blah blah... So I'm probably looking at having her back tail end of next week

Have asked them to look at getting me a better courtesy car in the mean time, but don't hold out much hope!!
(Post Link) post #14 of 37 Old 17-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

RS, Did you get the clunk noise when slipping the clutch in or out? It Is always worse 2nd to third on mine and clunked when you were letting the clutch out, some days its worse than others....

Did they say they had seen it before?
AO Member

Johns

Yes I did get the noise when slipping the clutch in or out, they say there is nothing wrong with the clutch.

They didn't mention seeing it before
AO Member

Member car:

I get this noise too, that's why I googled it and ended up here. Shurely shome mishtake if they are saying it's "a 159 thing".

County: -

Member car:

159 1.9 MJTD

Hi,

Every one resolved this clunk? What was wrong?
AO Member

County: Surrey

I got this 2nd to 3rd gear off clutch noise also.
Wouldnt bother me if i knew it was nothing but it seems from these posts that some mechanics are classifying it as a fault.
DAB
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

I seem to get the same symptoms if I'm driving gently. Once I press on, it seems to disappear.
I've never had it checked out, just assumed it was indeed a "characteristic" of the 159.
AO Member

County: Attica
147 drive train

my 147ts clunks at low road speed when i release the clutch when going up/down the gear box like there's backlash somwhere in the drive chain.. also if i stay say, in 2nd and ease on/off the throttle, however when i pin it its quiet!? gotta be drive shafts, uj's or clamps....will investigate this weekend,
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

alfa 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hi Johns159 - Ive had 3 clutches replaced on my Brera. Had similar problem than you. Ps. I'm not a techie, but I'll try & explain my experience as best as I can. Get your car on a lift, check your driveshaft-there is a bracket close to the bearing holding the driveshaft in place (right in the middle/centre of vehicle). Mine was tightened and the problem was resolved.
Has anybody got a pic of this bracket as mine is clunking when changing gears thanks
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
marcevo1, wrote;q4 2.4 - yes clunk but diagnosed to propshaft to centre diff - obviously not a problem with the 1.9 fwd

normal apparently - gggrrr ....er yep on a 120k mile clunk not 13k miles - i'll be pressing somewhat to get it resolved....

I have a 2.4 Q4, which clunks all the time on gear "upwards changes" eg 3rd to 4th. The previous owner who owned it from new said that it had always done that. So did you ever get the clunking issue resolved with your 2.4 Q4?
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2

Bringing this back from the dead. Mine does this too was worried it was a DMF. Anyone made any progress on this? How many other peoples do this?
AO Member

County: Westmeath
Another owner here with this clunk noise when coming off the clutch. (1.9jtdm).
It is more noticeable when gearbox oil has warmed up. (if it is a gearbox problem??).
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2

Definitely agree with it being more noticeable when warm. Notice it a lot just before arriving to work but not when setting off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
clunk , clutch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page