Clutch clunk! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2

Was poking about under the bonnet I noticed that at the gear selector at the box there is loads of play in the nylon/rubber bush that is joined to one of the selector rods. Now seeing as this is regarded as a "characteristic" maybe this is how it is from the factory and isnt that its worn. But there seems to be about nearly 10mm of play if you keep the bush still put move the rod. Is this the source of the noise ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

BMW 116i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furby156 View Post
Was poking about under the bonnet I noticed that at the gear selector at the box there is loads of play in the nylon/rubber bush that is joined to one of the selector rods. Now seeing as this is regarded as a "characteristic" maybe this is how it is from the factory and isnt that its worn. But there seems to be about nearly 10mm of play if you keep the bush still put move the rod. Is this the source of the noise ???
Glad you brought this up because I have the same play in the linkage and seems to rattle, was wondering if this is normal.
AO Member

County: East Sussex
Garage
Hello all,

Anyone resolved this? my 2.4 clunks when releasing the clutch between 1st & 2nd gear and between 2nd and 3rd?

AO Member

County: Malaysia
Hi,

The sound came from the flywheel. There is a free play from the flywheel. Once you need to change clutch take a complete clutch kit with the flywheel. One time at one cost
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Has anyone figured this out yet, I have all the symptoms mentioned, clunk when on the move changing into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, worse when warm. Recently had a new clutch kit and dmf as was slipping badly. Ive checked engine mounts and they are ok, investigating driveshafts next and gear linkage next.
AO Member

County: South Africa

Member car:

3.0 GTV

My 3.0 GTV is doing the same, and it's definitely not normal, but I'm not going to fix something that's not broken. To me it sounds like slack on the gears inside the diff casing. When I had the gearbox out while doing my clutch I took one of the cv cups on the gearbox and rotated it, and you could turn it 10-15 deg before the other side of the diff and cv cup started moving as well. I thought this was more an older generation alfa thing, but looks like I thought wrong. What I've seen is if you drive civilised at lower speeds you can almost completely cut out the clank, but when you're hammering the clutch at lower speeds it can sound rather disturbing.
AO Member

County: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebem View Post
Has anyone figured this out yet, I have all the symptoms mentioned, clunk when on the move changing into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, worse when warm. Recently had a new clutch kit and dmf as was slipping badly. Ive checked engine mounts and they are ok, investigating driveshafts next and gear linkage next.
There so many things related. You try to check on :

1) Steering rack (Inner Tie Rod)
2) Driveshaft (Spider Tripod Joint)
AO Member

County: essex

Member car:

159 3.2 Q4 lusso

I have have a 159 Q4 with the same clunk still drives and changes gear fine stumped as to what it is a mechanic friend of mine thought it may be the clutch release bearing? will be changing the clutch soon so will feed back if noise stopped.
AO Member

County: Brasov

Member car:

stilo jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by danT82 View Post
I have have a 159 Q4 with the same clunk still drives and changes gear fine stumped as to what it is a mechanic friend of mine thought it may be the clutch release bearing? will be changing the clutch soon so will feed back if noise stopped.
I have an 1,9 jtdm 16v also with the clunk feature. It has nothing to do with the flywheel, clutch or the bearing. I change them twice since i bought the car and the clunk is still there. Maybe something wrong in the gearbox.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Does it do when stationary or just when the cars moving?
AO Member

County: Brasov

Member car:

stilo jtd

Is making the clunk sound when stationary or when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. From 3rd to 4th the sound is almost gone and there is no sound when shifting from 4th to 5th or 5th to 6th.
(Post Link) post #37 of 37 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

I get this quite bad and exactly as people have described it, 2nd and 3rd, at the end of the clutch release / travel as the car begins to pull and definitely sounds like something is clonking against something. It's really noticeable with the windows up, but with them down its not really noticeable i.e the knock / noise is hitting something connecting to the chassis of the car so the reverberation is noticeable more with a quiet cabin.

It's an irritating sound to be honest because cruising in the Alfa is very quiet. Makes me really envy someones Merc SLK Kompressor automatic, quiet as a mouse.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Chassis Mods: Powerflexed front-lower wishbones
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Ti Skirts, Eibach & Blisteins

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
clunk , clutch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page