Delighted Brera Owner
First of all apologies for not having logged on for ages on the site. Please believe me it is mad here where I live, there is no spare time.
Some may know me and the history of getting my Brera. I was the first Brera owner in the UAE (by four weeks). I ordered mine separately from the main UAE dealer who couldn't give me a delivery date. Eventually after a year of frustration my Bella arrived and he also got 4 cars a month later.
I've had my car since 4th October 2007. I do 200km in it every weekday. It has now done appox. 33,000km.
It is the scourge of the Abu Dhabi - Dubai highway. I'll not go into too much detail except to say the speed cameras in the Abu Dhabi section only operate above 160km.
I have had ZERO problems with the car (sorry I lie, the back window washer didn't work just before the 20,000km service and was sorted).
I am still in love. If I could pick any improvements they are thus:
- the seats should definitely be more bolstered like the GT. Everytime I corner aggresively I "fall out"
- the front screen washing allows drift of water/smear onto the windscreeen at moderate speeds between the two wipers...midly annoying
- be careful taking stuff out of the boot (usually my golf clubs) cause you can singe your calf/trousers on the exhaust pipes.
- yes, yes, even with a 3.2 I am annoyed at the Chev Lumina drivers and the Nissan 350's. (i'm going to sort this with a supercharge when Jano from Autodelta gets here!)
Other than that folks I am as happy as the proverbial Larry.
I must give you a few highlights. Please remember the rarity of Breras here.
1. In downtown Abu Dhabi, I'm following a car (Nissan Patrol) and as we approach the red traffic lights he moves into the next lane and stops parallel and jumps out and starts shooting from this camera like a paparazzi (after half asking with a thumbs up). I wound down my window and he told me his best mate (he was Aussie) was a mad Alfa fan and was soon to be working for the main dealer here.
2. A guy nearly crashing into stopped traffic looking at Bella and telling his partner/wife about it (from what I could make out) this was pretty much early on after getting the car.
3. Countless people stopping me/waving me down at the lights to say (where did you get that!).
4. A guy at work who is 10 x mad on AR's than I am. He's recently arrived from Jerusalem into UAE. He saw my car in the work car park and demanded to be taken to the owner of the Brera. I have to say I felt belittled at his knowledge of all things Alfa.
5. A guy in Merc ML55 SUV who couldn't quite keep up one early morning going to Dubai. When I reached the border where the cameras are more ruthless, I pulled aside and he came parallel and wound down his window and we both gave the thumbs up.
6. The best (you had to be there to appreciate it) was a guy I met in the lift to the apartment I'm currently in. I didn't know him from Adam. I was tired, grumpy, disinterested, and he says, "you have the most beautiful looking car out here"........"thank you I said, you are very kind".....