1.9 Jtdm v 2.2 JTS back to back comparison - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Re: 1.9 Jtdm v 2.2 JTS back to back comparison

Guys, its no longer a £3k premium in the Brera for the 2.4 its now
I don't understand the marketing stratagy of Alfa, in the 159 the difference 2.2 to 2.4 is £2k.
Sponsored Links
Re: 1.9 Jtdm v 2.2 JTS back to back comparison

Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Haha! I don't mind diesel actually. I did a few thousand miles in a BMW 525TD, it was reasonably good (not Alfa good obviously), but like someone said above, if you're used to the power curve on petrol engines you like that curve, and if you're used to diesels you like that curve. With a diesel I believe you have to change up the gears quicker to get the best performance, keeping it in the high torque zone of around 3-4K revs, which means lots of gear changes.

What I like about the petrols (particularly 2.2 and above) is that they are so elastic. In town you can take off by reving a bit in gears 1 and 2 (sounds and feels great) and then put it straight into 6th when you've reached target speed. If you want to accelerate hard on a more open road you can select a gear (say 3 4 or 5) and just keep reving in that gear; the power just goes up and up without having to change gear. Oh and if feels mischevious reving high, and sounds fantastic!

To be fair the gear changes was frustrating and was not totally convinced I made the right decision moving to a diesel - that is why I re mapped the car, not primarily to get more power - but to get the power in the bands I was used to - driving petrols all these years.

But when I got the car - after the Remap, and then I thought why have I not done this sooner (moving to diesel)

It far out performs my old 2.0 twinny....

I know it will never be as good as a V6 - but 2.2 petrol would be long out of sight in my rear view mirror

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

back , comparison , jtdm , jts