Id like another Brera.....but - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 10Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 09-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Garage
Id like another Brera.....but

As the title suggests, i would like another brera

I sold my diesel brera to get a v6 gtv, and whilst the gtv is fun and much quicker (i had a 2.4 brera), i just miss the brera's looks too much

I am not interested in a diesel, would love the tbi but its too much at the moment, so 2.2 or 3.2

Question is, i hear all these horrific stories about timing chains on the engines.

Owners of the petrol brera's, are they as bad as im led to believe ?? And is anyone local to the Norwich area to take me out for a spin in a petrol brera (ive never driven one, just the diesel)

Ta
Kyoku likes this.

Vespasian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Warwickshire
I was told as long as you keep regular oil changes they are fine.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Horrendous cost to replace on the V6; no big deal on the 2.2.
Very rare to hear of them letting go altogether - you get loads of warning via the EML - I left mine for months before finally getting round to it.
And it's happened to people on here who've serviced (including oil change) their cars at less than every 10k miles - I'm one of them.
The 2.2 is the most cost-effective engine to go for, but I do find it difficult to recommend - I wouldn't have another.

(Post Link) post #4 of 31 Old 09-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Horrendous cost to replace on the V6; no big deal on the 2.2.
Very rare to hear of them letting go altogether - you get loads of warning via the EML - I left mine for months before finally getting round to it.
And it's happened to people on here who've serviced (including oil change) their cars at less than every 10k miles - I'm one of them.
The 2.2 is the most cost-effective engine to go for, but I do find it difficult to recommend - I wouldn't have another.
In what way, i loved my brera but hated the diesel lump, going from a busso v6, whatever engine i get will not be as good, but i miss those looks!!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespasian View Post
In what way, i loved my brera but hated the diesel lump, going from a busso v6, whatever engine i get will not be as good, but i miss those looks!!!
2.2:
Hesitation; poor mpg & high tax for what is relatively poor performance; rubbish gearbox; having to replace the timing chain; not a particularly exciting drive or engine sound compared to previous Alfas.
And if you have a Spider you're practically guaranteed to have problems with the roof.

But my Spider does look simply stunning, and looks to be worth far more than it actually is.
Even now people comment on it.
That, and the fact it's an Alfa Romeo, were the reasons I so desperately had to have one.
Potential issues weren't a factor back then, but 6.5 years on...

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
A remapped 2.4 159/Brera is just shy of the 3.2 GTV, very little difference in performance.
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
2.2:
Hesitation; poor mpg & high tax for what is relatively poor performance; rubbish gearbox; having to replace the timing chain; not a particularly exciting drive or engine sound compared to previous Alfas.
And if you have a Spider you're practically guaranteed to have problems with the roof.

But my Spider does look simply stunning, and looks to be worth far more than it actually is.
Even now people comment on it.
That, and the fact it's an Alfa Romeo, were the reasons I so desperately had to have one.
Potential issues weren't a factor back then, but 6.5 years on...
But you haven't sold it yet

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Durrant View Post
But you haven't sold it yet

Eh?

If I can manage to shift it at some point despite all its faults, I then wouldn't have another, no way Jose.

Is that better?
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
Eh?

If I can manage to shift it at some point despite all its faults, I then wouldn't have another, no way Jose.

Is that better?
I wasn't having a pop. Just mentioning you have kept it despite its faults. I have owned a Triumph Stag for 25 years......

Philjay50 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Garage
What diesel did you have.
You cant expect a diesel to drive like a busso its the rev/powerband above 4000rpm that makes the busso so special. This is exctaly where the diesel give up.
The v6 in the brera is derived from the aussy Holden lump and in is not ever going to drive like a busso.
I've just swapped to a 1.9 159 diesel and it is different but needs to be driven differently to get the best out of it.
I fear you maybe looking for something you won't find without a compromise....
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Durrant View Post
I wasn't having a pop. Just mentioning you have kept it despite its faults. I have owned a Triumph Stag for 25 years......

Okay, sorry mate.
I've been thinking about selling for years to be honest, but it's not realistic with all the issues I have.
I've been trying to psyche myself up to do a part/ex, I just know that I'll get a serious kicking at the moment.
Of course its value becomes less the longer I keep it, and so moving it on becomes less of a 'bite the bullet situation'.
That said, business is booming at the moment, so it could go...
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 10-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
You cant expect a diesel to drive like a busso its the rev/powerband above 4000rpm that makes the busso so special. This is exctaly where the diesel give up.
The v6 in the brera is derived from the aussy Holden lump and in is not ever going to drive like a busso.
I've just swapped to a 1.9 159 diesel and it is different but needs to be driven differently to get the best out of it.
Ive had a three diesel alfa's
156 2.4 10v
147 1.9 8v
Brera 2.4 20v

The problem is, i only work 5 miles from home and the Brera diesel just did not like that. Had a few problems with her, manifold change, dpf issues so in the end, decided to get a less complicated petrol (hopefully) for the short journeys
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 10-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
No, i had the diesel before the busso (id had a busso in the 155 years ago)

I have nothing against the diesels, i just feel the modern ones have too many restrictions, and with the short journeys to work i do, just did not work for me. When i change the GTV i'll go back to a brera, just a petrol one (a Maserati 3200 would be nice as well)
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
I have two 2.2 JTS (well, the one is in the wifes car) and whilst its true the power to petrol consumption is not what you'd like, the engine is a nice unit. In the Brera Prodrive you do get a nice exhaust note and so too in our Spider especially when the top is down.

Is the timing chain an issue? No, not in my opinion. The Brera had one at 40k+ miles the Spider has done 65K and still on the original one, I see it as a service item. You do get a warning as LM says, its not like a belt snapping. Although there have been some issues with the M32 gearbox in the 2.2, most of the problems have been with the diesel engined cars.

The 2.2 Brera and Spider are nice cruises, not out and out sports cars, but still can be quite agile on the move, their lighter weight than the 3.2 and 2.4 diesel makes them (I understand) handle better.

Lussoman has had problems with his one, we have not with our two. Make from that what you will. The Brera is now sold, I'l miss it. The Spider is a keeper, I'll look forward to the sun when it come out of hibernation.

Finally, if you want to read about various engine problems just follow all the diesel issues.
TheGrimJeeper likes this.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Is the timing chain an issue? No, not in my opinion.
I dunno. I knew 427scr and his was problematic
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-stretch.html (Brera V6 Timing Chain Stretch)

Others probably not, so hard to say.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
I dunno. I knew 427scr and his was problematic
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...n-stretch.html (Brera V6 Timing Chain Stretch)

Others probably not, so hard to say.
The chain change on a 2.2 will be around 600, the chain change 427scr had to suffer was a 3.2. V6.

2.2 chain is no big issue.
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Is the timing chain an issue?
You wouldn't expect to have to replace a chain for the reasonable life of the car. Unlike a belt.
As long as you're aware of the potential for it causing problems at the outset., not a big problem.
From memory, mine was about 400 to sort.

Quote:
The chain change on a 2.2 will be around 600, the chain change 427scr had to suffer was a 3.2. V6.

2.2 chain is no big issue.
I seem to remember it being around 2-3k for the V6. That's going to hurt.
AO Member

County: -
Still not sure why 3.2 chains are 2-3k when parts are a couple of hundred. Engine out is 1/2 day so labour would be about 10hrs to take out change bits and put back - that's 200 - 300 / hr labour!
AO Silver Member

Garages stopped charging 20 - 30 an hour in the 1980's! More likely around 80+ an hour now.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
More likely around 80+ an hour now
That would make the 3.2 chains about 1k so not sure where the other 1k - 2k come from?
AO Member

County: kent
Just to let you know, yours old Brera still going well. I'm doing my best to keep her in shape http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/wink.gif good luck with getting another one... if you don't like diesel maybe try 1750 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/biggrin.gif
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

I've got a 2.2 and had the timing chain replaced after the EML light came on with the accompanying error codes. Getting it replaced it not much different to having a cam belt done, reasonably pricey but in the grand scheme only done once while you'll have the car. Also, if you like looking after your car and get it serviced once a year with fresh oil regardless of miles, it'll be fine. I had my chain done 4 years ago and it's not made a peep since.

If you're getting a petrol, drive both before you buy. The V6 is quicker but the Q4 also makes it heavier, so it depends what floats your boat. My 2.2 isn't quick, but it's fun. If you can stretch to it, get the V6 S - the S is lighter as it's front wheel drive only, but with the more powerful engine. Yes you'll lose the benefits of Q4, but I think the V6 S is the best of all the Breras and if you can afford one, they're holding their value really well. They're as much now as they were when I first got my 2.2 five years ago. Good luck!

2.2 Red Brera with all the S mods except the interior and brake calipers
AO Member

County: Kent
I have a 3.2 brera and have owned it for nearly 6 years. I love it. Change the oil and filter every 8,000 miles and you should be OK. I have had no engine issues other that a partially blocked injector which caused a misfire which was a bit tricky to track down.
It has Eibach springs and a wizard exhaust. It is real fun to drive and sounds ... well I can't describe that.

I previously had a 2.5 V6 156 for many years which I also loved. Sure the Brera is different and it took me a while to get used to it. It is not cheap to run but the smile it puts on my face every time I drive it is worth every penny. There are faster cars but this is fast enough to give you plenty of scary moments if you brave enough. (That's scary for you not the car. It never seems to be scared).
matty74 and yerbamateo like this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 31 Old 15-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorek View Post
Just to let you know, yours old Brera still going well. I'm doing my best to keep her in shape http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/wink.gif good luck with getting another one... if you don't like diesel maybe try 1750 http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/biggrin.gif
Hi Boorek,

Im glad she is ok, i really do miss having a brera, much more than i imagined. The gtv is fun on the twisty's but is not as nice to look at
Id love the brera tbi, we have that engine in our Giulietta, but they really hold their money.

Ill have my fun with the Busso v6, then ill be back in a Brera
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would hang on til the 1750 drops into your price range. Its a cracking engine although they really should have given it the 240hp it had in the Giulietta.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brerabut

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page