HID light ballasts that fit in the light housing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Farnham
County: Surrey
Posts: 17
HID light ballasts that fit in the light housing

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my dipped lights to HID bulbs and have done some trawling through previous posts, some of which indicate some ballasts fit inside the light housing but couldn't find any info on which exact models do. I would prefer this option so they aren't so noticeable when popping the bonnet open. Does anybody know of a kit which is suitable? I've read 55w 5000-6000k give the best light colour/ visibility so would like to stay within those specs. Does anyone know if a ballast size of 90x70x20 would fit in the light housing? I've been looking at the HIDS4U kit but wouldn't mind something a bit cheaper than 84 if it doesn't sacrifice quality and reliability too much. Also if anybody could recommend some good quality led bulbs for the sidelights that would be great.
Gusppetti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Let the V6 howl!
AO Member
 
A_Venables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 405
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusppetti View Post
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my dipped lights to HID bulbs and have done some trawling through previous posts, some of which indicate some ballasts fit inside the light housing but couldn't find any info on which exact models do. I would prefer this option so they aren't so noticeable when popping the bonnet open. Does anybody know of a kit which is suitable? I've read 55w 5000-6000k give the best light colour/ visibility so would like to stay within those specs. Does anyone know if a ballast size of 90x70x20 would fit in the light housing? I've been looking at the HIDS4U kit but wouldn't mind something a bit cheaper than 84 if it doesn't sacrifice quality and reliability too much. Also if anybody could recommend some good quality led bulbs for the sidelights that would be great.
I used HIDS Direct previously on families cars and they were all reliable, I doubt you'll get a ballast to fit inside the light housing, I have the factory Xenon option on my Spider and these are located under the headlights on the outside attached to the headlight casing.
A_Venables is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Farnham
County: Surrey
Posts: 17
Thanks for your input but judging from a few posts I've read some of the smaller ballasts do fit in the light housings. Only problem is they didn't provide any details for the specific models.
Gusppetti is offline  
 
Status: Fully armed and operational tractor
AO Member
 
AlfaJoe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 654
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Get any set of HIDs with slim ballasts from ebay for less than 30, 55w, 6000-6500k. They all work, don't try and squeeze the ballasts in the light housing, not good, and you risk getting components hot / might melt.

HIDSDirect are pretty slow to send stuff out, ordered some osram bulbs on the 31st, still haven't arrived.
AlfaJoe92 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 25

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.0jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaJoe92 View Post
Get any set of HIDs with slim ballasts from ebay for less than 30, 55w, 6000-6500k. They all work, don't try and squeeze the ballasts in the light housing, not good, and you risk getting components hot / might melt.

HIDSDirect are pretty slow to send stuff out, ordered some osram bulbs on the 31st, still haven't arrived.
Does that mean leave the screw on cap off the lights (reference to don't squeeze them in )
johnsy is offline  
Status: Fully armed and operational tractor
AO Member
 
AlfaJoe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 654
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

What you do is place the HID bulbs in the stock sockets, should fit perfectly. Then you drill a whole, say 50p sized on the plastic screw cap, push the wires through that so the big wire connectors are on the outside, then plug the hole with the provided rubber dust suction cup. Then you mount the ballast somewhere in your engine bay either zip tied, 3M mounting tap, bolt e.t.c And you are good to go. Simples. The Slim ballast kits are designed to be fit inside the light housing, its just the 159/Brera lights are pretty cramp as they are so you might aswell mount externally. If you try and cram too much stuff inside, the leveling system might not work properly.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Chassis Mods: Powerflexed front-lower wishbones
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Ti Skirts, Eibach & Blisteins
AlfaJoe92 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
County: France
Posts: 13

Member car:

159 2.4 SW

While digging the web for HID for my 159, I have buy some cheap and high quality chinese brands (well reputed on "HID planet" forum)

For ballast: "DLT" F5. It is 55w ballast fast bright.
For bulbs : CNlight 45W 4300K H7

I have source that on aliexpress for around 55. It looks very well done, and it works perfectly.

Cheers
ritchy31 is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 12-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Farnham
County: Surrey
Posts: 17
I didn't realise that having the ballast in the light housing could cause problems. That's a shame because I would much rather do that. What are people's experiences with MOTs with these lights fitted? Is it better to swap them with halogens on the day?
Gusppetti is offline  
Status: Get it remapped....
AO Member
 
Jimbon1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Devon
Posts: 206
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusppetti View Post
I didn't realise that having the ballast in the light housing could cause problems. That's a shame because I would much rather do that. What are people's experiences with MOTs with these lights fitted? Is it better to swap them with halogens on the day?
Guspetti

You can put them in the housing if you wish (as I have done) without any issue. I have had mine on for 18 months or so and they don't seem to get too hot. Cue car burning to ashes on my drive home tonight.
Mine were from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-HID-Con...1/250727557965
Jimbon1973 is offline  
Status: Fully armed and operational tractor
AO Member
 
AlfaJoe92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 654
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

MOT is fine, at the end of the day the 159 has projector lenses as standard, just that the later variants had auto leveling and washers. Basically HIDS work in all 159s because the lenses have a sharp cut off and are projectors so you wont blind anyone and the light wont scatter as bad as a reflector lens, hence why it is actually seen as an upgrade, not just for aesthetic reasons.

Just get one from 4500k to 6500k max and you won't have problems. I once failed an MOT due to my halogens being soo old that they had gone a weird shade of 'green' apparently.

I've got LEDs as highs which was a pain to install and probs not really legal due to light dispersion but they are brighter and I have greater visibility with them that with halogens highs, as long as you turn them off when another car approaches you are all good. It's the newer modern cars with auto high beams that get me to be honest, when they don't register to turn off until you are already within 50m and then its almost a surprise to see where the car is on the road.

If you want to be 100% legal, squeaky clean, a good law abiding upstanding citizen, then you'd need to retro fit the Xenon Bosch projectors, and find a bumper with the washer jets in them.
AlfaJoe92 is offline  
Ken
Status: Retired and Pedantic
AO Member
 
Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Falkirk
Posts: 920
Images: 32

Member car:

Alfa 159 3.2 Q4

I mounted the ballasts on my 159 like this. I've not had an MOT with them fitted yet but I don't foresee any problems (by my understanding of the rules)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160909_142510-1.jpg (209.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20160909_142503-1.jpg (230.1 KB, 18 views)
Ken is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 12-01-17 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Farnham
County: Surrey
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbon1973 View Post
Guspetti

You can put them in the housing if you wish (as I have done) without any issue. I have had mine on for 18 months or so and they don't seem to get too hot. Cue car burning to ashes on my drive home tonight.
Mine were from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H1-HID-Con...1/250727557965
Hi Jimbon, That link seems to be for H1 bulbs when it is H7 I need. Were you just referring to the ballasts on that link?
Gusppetti is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
ballasts , fit , hid , housing , light

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome