Anyone else think the 159's intermittent wipers are a bit ****e? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By riczito
  • 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By boblelie

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Paris / Ill de France
Garage
Anyone else think the 159's intermittent wipers are a bit ****e?

Maybe I'm thick. That must be it. I'm missing something. I just can't seem to get my 159 Ti's intermittent wipers to do something predictable. There seems to be some kind of logic conflict between the wiper speed settings and the rain detector sensor. One seems to override the other, to the extent that they're never at the right cadence in light rain. Either they're going nuts on an almost dry windscreen and making graunching noises, or they're being lazy and wiping once in a blue moon. I seem to end up triggering the wipe manually most of the time.

What have I missed? Is there some kind of setup sweet spot that I haven't found, for light drizzle?
Thanks!
lotok and domholyfield like this.

2009 159 Ti 2.4 QTronic. Remap + EGR delete + DPF remove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
Ken
AO Member

County: Falkirk
Merde! Old Engineeer will be along any time now
MattB159 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Is your sensor and/or your screen clean? The auto wipers work best if they are.
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Be assured , the system in the Giulietta works very well.
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: Durham
having decent wipers helps
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

I agree. I've had 2 renaults which have both had far superior auto wipers. Living in the land of the rain it is very annoying...
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I've given up on the slow speed wipers on the 159. Rain-x cures mild rain, and when it is pi55ing down, I just turn them on fast.

Giulia ones are much better.
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
Ken
AO Member

(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: -
Like many i've found my 159 to have 2 states in automatic mode.
1: kicking in way too late and way too slow for you to see the truck you are about to run into.
2: going berserk on two tiny drops and keep going even though the windscreen was already dry five minutes ago.

Most of the time i find my wipers dry humping the glass though.
I really am convinced that alfa had some sort of secret agreement with the major wiper manufacturers around 2006 to consume as many wipers on this car as possible .
Wezley likes this.
AO Member

County: -
I found this out on the long drive home from picking mine up a couple of weeks ago. I ordered some Gtechniq glass cleaner products and the 3 stage polish/sealant to the tune off 45, it's a lot better than rain x and last longer , just need new wipers and some dry weather
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
It will be the way you clean the screen. Mine work perfectly. I have the same software and hardware. The system just looks for distortion on the screen (which is rain). If the wipers leave a distorted patch then the system will 'read' this as rain and go mad trying to remove it.

So you need to get the diesel residue off the screen with a proper cream cleaner. Don't follow the thread on removing the system. They haven't worked out why some cars are perfect and some not even though they have the same system.

ps. When I said same hardware I'm assuming you have blades that have not been used to clear frost off the screen and any replacement screen has the right opening.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
Before I read any replies.

Yes, they have a mind of their own. The silly setting switch for (sensitivity) does Sweet FA. It allows me to get it to wipe without pushing the lever up for off and then down for on again.

So one time the windscreen is like a waterfall and zilch, zero, nowt (until you switch the doins) and on the next occasion the fecker tries ever so much to rub through the glass.

Ufukingless. Why oh why not regular intermittent wipe?
AO Member

County: -kent
Utter rubbish on my 159. Sometimes they do, others they don't!! I either have them off or on now and don't bother with intermittent settings.
Ken
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
. Don't follow the thread on removing the system. They haven't worked out why some cars are perfect and some not even though they have the same system.
Suggest you read the thread and make up your own mind. I have done the mod to give normal intermittent wipe settings and it is much better for me
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Suggest you read the thread and make up your own mind. I have done the mod to give normal intermittent wipe settings and it is much better for me
But you don't need to. There is no logical reason for some cars going wrong other than the cleaning of the screen. The cars that are going wrong are 'seeing a distortion' that you have to eliminate. If your theory is right then all cars would not have working wipers. So think about what might be different and deal with it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
They are rubbish. Never worked properly from new on the Brera.
Ordered a 159 without them because of it.

Funnily enough they worked perfectly on the 147.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Mine are the same. Sometimes they just go nuts. I've got gtechniq g1 on the screen and the glass is always squeaky clean.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
So 18 months ago, when I got the 159, there was this the same problem of crazy wipers.

Solution that worked for me was to really, really, clean the screen. Twice, at least, over with Turtle Wax Intensive Cream Glass Polish - fairly abrasive to cut through the grime - then really careful to keep any Aqua Wax off the screen, and a good polish with ordinary Glass Cleaner after every wash.

Took a few cleans to settle down, but now I don't really need to use the Glass Cleaner at all. That said, you're right, the adjustment switch doesn't make much difference - some, but not particularly predictable.

And also, almost any other car's auto wipe is more predictable and adjustable that the 159. We had a Volvo XC90 for 7 years and its auto-wipers worked just fine, all the time, without any particular attention.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , bit , intermittent , wipers