Tyres?? :) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 18Likes
  • 1 Post By SLM3CFC
  • 1 Post By dannyelasri20
  • 1 Post By matty74
  • 2 Post By boblelie
  • 2 Post By OldSmokey159
  • 1 Post By boblelie
  • 2 Post By johnsy
  • 3 Post By johnsy
  • 1 Post By johnsy
  • 1 Post By lussoman
  • 1 Post By Larry92
  • 1 Post By Brera_Matt
  • 1 Post By symon

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 09-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: United Kingdom-

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4 JTDM

Tyres?? :)

Hey all Me again

I am wondering where you guys get your tires from? I have always used Blackcircles.com and often found great prices. However with these 19" wheels they seem crazy! I mean on that website you can go for their quality budget options for 76ish or you can have a branded tyre for 155. There is no in between. Bit strange.

What tires do you lot go for and how much do you usually end up paying? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I have some 19 continental somewhere in the shed if your interested. Took them off the break before I sold her

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
jtaylor2005 likes this.
AO Member

County: Morocco
Garage
I use Falken Azenis FK453 for my 18' rims I have a 2.4 JTDM and no 4wd. A friend of mine has a 1.9 JTDM and he gets away with a budget no brand chinese tire. another friend has the 3.2 QV with 4WD and the only tires that work for him are potenzas RE003.

different configurations of the car require different tires. I tried Pirellis they wore out in the span of 9 months. Contis have a bad reputation where I live because they don't stand up to potholes and bad roads (Morocco.)

and the kicker is that 4 new Falkens (235/45/ZR18Y XL) new are 5300 MAD (about 433 GBP.) mounted rotated and an alignment. (we have a 20% sales tax that applies to everything that can't be eaten.) I don't think there is a better value for money!

mounted them at 179110 KMs now the car is at 200535 KMs and they are still in extremely good shape!
jtaylor2005 likes this.

AO Member

County: Morocco
Garage
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
I put a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on in mid September 2015 when I was on 89,000miles, they're actually Giugiaro design which helps my OCD'ness a lot . I got them from tyreleader as they were on offer and had them fitted locally. Astounded to say that i'm now on 108,000 and i'm still not down to the markers, but reckon I will be by next MOT time at end of March. Based on that mileage return, I think i'll be buying them again, even if not on offer.
jtaylor2005 likes this.
AO Member

County: -
I've tried the chinese stuff last summer and i must admit they work perfectly for daily driving.
I chose the Landsail LS988 235/35/19.

Over here in the Netherlands (UK-ish climate) they are grippy on dry roads for sporty driving and they have enough grip in wet conditions if you drive sensible.
I originally chose them as cheap test tyres because i was having issues with my wheel allignment and didn't want to pay a fortune for brand tyres that would potentially have uneven surfaces after six months. Allignment turned out to be ok after realligment of the wheels so no tyre-total-loss after six months .

The funny fact is the quality of the Landsails turns out to be good enough for my needs to keep them as preferred tyres for now. Of course a pirelli set will be much better in the extreme situations, but for 58,- (50,-) per tyre i'm perfectly happy with it .
nogrip and jtaylor2005 like this.
AO Member

County: -kent
+1 on that - Landsail for me and I'll buy them again.
Very impressed. 5000 miles in, no obvious wear, great ratings, quiet, excellent grip and price. What more do you need!
Fitted 245/45/19 through memory. Slightly wider but no notable difference.
boblelie and jtaylor2005 like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
+1 on that - Landsail for me and I'll buy them again.
Very impressed. 5000 miles in, no obvious wear, great ratings, quiet, excellent grip and price. What more do you need!
Fitted 245/45/19 through memory. Slightly wider but no notable difference.
I also considered a wider flavor for a second but couldnt make up my mind about the looks with more rubber around the tyre in terms of thickness and and width. Do you have your car (factory)lowered, or is it at stock height. (Is it a 159 btw?)
jtaylor2005 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.0jtdm

Iv used tyreleader for the past 3 or so years when it comes to purchasing tyres in various sizes for different cars. I'm not a fan of cheap 'ditch finder' tyres, there usually ok in the dry but it's the wet weather/greasy roads/ standing water where there just plain dangerous imo.

Uniroyal rainsport3 @130 are a good buy, admittedly Iv not had them on the Alfa so can't comment on wear etc, but had them on a Passat CC which came with Vred's on which weren't very good

Toyo proxes T1 sport @125, again Iv not used them on the alfa but had them on a couple smaller hatch backs , and they were ok

Pirelli pzero nero GT @ 132. These came on my 159, there fairly comfortable and grippy, I'm lead to believe these are The OEM tyres from new . Iv only had the 159 a couple of weeks so I'm going to monitor wear, Iv read the 159 is heavy on its front tyres

I wouldn't mind try the Goodyear eagle f1 asym 2/3 on the Alfa as they where good on my old BMW,and also the newer Michelin pilot sport 4 but these are both premium priced tyres.it would depend on my budget at the time
Brera_Matt and jtaylor2005 like this.

2010 Alfa 159 Ti - 2.0jtdm - black - Tan leather - AHM remap 220bhp -

Last edited by johnsy; 10-01-17 at 09:59.
(Post Link) post #10 of 23 Old 10-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
I have some 19 continental somewhere in the shed if your interested. Took them off the break before I sold her

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi mate, Your quite a way from where I am unfortunately. I will be in touch though. How much tread is on them? I am tempted to go for good pricey branded ones on the front and then some cheaper ones on the rear as they aren't so important on a front wheel drive car to be honest.

Thanks for the offer
(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 10-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4 JTDM

Brilliant all. Thanks for all the advice. Landsail seems to have a good amount praise from you guys. So do Rainsport (+ My previous experience) I'm tempted to go for a good set on the front like the Rainsports then a cheaper pair for the rear to keep costs down a bit Bugs me having to buy tyres all at once yet I'll happily buy 2 at a time and not bat an eyelid haha.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.0jtdm

Just a word of warning about putting cheap tyres on the rear or fitting new on the front and rotating the worn ones to the rear!

This can be quite dangerous , as you can back out of understeer but oversteer most folk poop there pants and end up in a tank slappa and part of the scenery
Philjay50, symon and Distillery like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 23 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4 JTDM

Haha cheers for the heads up. I'm used to oversteer now. I have a 306 peugeot with torsion beam suspension. Can give you a right suprise haha!
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Asda tyres online, by far the cheapest place to buy tyres and they have something for every budget. Well worth checking it out
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.0jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic2115 View Post
Asda tyres online, by far the cheapest place to buy tyres and they have something for every budget. Well worth checking it out
You need to check tyreleader out if you think Asia is cheap,

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-235-40-19/?p=2

Vs

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/235-40-19?speed=y
Brera_Matt likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Yeh, plenty of cheap, but not budget tyres out there, I'm a fan of the Nexen N8000, which have won awards from Autobild in the 'sports car' category and from ADAC. available from 90 a corner.

Summer tyre test 225/35 R18: the winner is Continental ContiSportContact 5
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Brera S

I've continued to use Continentals - The last pair were about 150 each from my local independent who tend to be in the ball park of black circle and cheaper than any chain. (and don't scratch the alloys)

In the past I've used Universal Tyres who will price match the independent AND throw in insurance - free puncture repair or if the tyre is unrepairable a proportion off the replacement
AO Member

County: -kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblelie View Post
I also considered a wider flavor for a second but couldnt make up my mind about the looks with more rubber around the tyre in terms of thickness and and width. Do you have your car (factory)lowered, or is it at stock height. (Is it a 159 btw?)
It is a 159 lowered on Eibach springs. Geometry was sent up correctly also.
The extra width is hardly noticeable.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Camskill have always been incredible value.
Robbo73 likes this.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Camskill have always been incredible value.
Camskill is my choice too and recommend Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. Had them as 19s on the 159 and good value. Although the GT came with Nexens I think I might try the Michelins next.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
I bought my tyres from tyres-outlet which was good....got a full set of goodyear eagle f1 assy 3s for about 450.

I am very dubious about the quality of chinese remoulds......particularly during high stress maneuvers, just when you need them to work, or in greasy conditions.....

for the sake of an extra 150 quid or so all round you can get a far better made mid-range tyre if you shop around a bit. not a big price to put on those extra few metres in stopping distance between yourself and a stopped truck. or a kid running into the road.

Personally Id always get pretty much the best tyre I can, the whole of your nearly 2 ton car is kept on the road by a contact patch which would cover less than an A4 sheet of paper. You want it to be the best A4 you can afford in my opinion.
A_Venables likes this.

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV "S"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post

Yeah I've been using tyre leader for a few years now. Every time I need new tyres I compare them to the other usual suspects and they've always remained the cheapest. Always seem to have good variety and plenty in stock and delivery is always with a week (bearing in mind all the tyres come from Germany I think). Highly recommend them.
jtaylor2005 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I bought tyres for our Focus from Amazon.

They were cheaper than from tyreleader at the time. The order was fullfilled by Event tyres...
jtaylor2005 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page