159 won't start - dead?!?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By finalfisti

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cornwall
159 won't start - dead?!?!

Hi,

I left my newly purchased (08) plate 159 for 10 days and this morning there is no power to it, had to use key to open door, no lights inside etc, nothing!

Battery I think - I've put it on charge now but the charger is saying that the battery is charged.

Any ideas?

Starting to regret buying this car never had issues with my 156!!!

don't make me go German.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

A few years ago, my neighbor had a 3-series BMW that he couldn't leave on the street for more than 7 days or he would have to walk over to our house and ask for jump cables and our reliable 156 to jump start his car. We never said anything stereotypical about reliability issues at the time - it really can happen to any car at any time. You are making false assumptions that the Germans would be better, which is particularly false in the case of the 159, as most of the electronics in the car are from Bosch. Maybe blame the Germans?

Probably battery, and if it really is charged, could be the alternator that is not recharging the battery when driving. I hope someone else on this forum is more savy and has more detailed info. Good luck.
lussoman likes this.

Alfa Romeo - Veni, Vidi, Vici.
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Knackered battery, alternator, starter motor or parasitic draw et al.

You will have to check the charging circuit with a DMM.
AO Member

County: Devon
When leaving my car for more than seven days, I lock the doors using just the key so that the alarm etc isn't drawing on the battery. Never had an issue since.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

10 days is a pretty long time for any car nowadays, the alarm and sensors do drain a battery slowly but surely. Batteries only tend to last 3 yrs max on this platform too for some reason, plenty of posts to confirm this. I suspect that you have a duff battery cell, try fully charging and then test it for held voltage, anything below 14 volts, then replace.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Sounds for all the world like the battery, despite what the charger's supposedly saying.
Once they've gone flat they're never the same again.

Never heard about 3 years max for a battery, sounds ridiculous to me.
I'm still on my original 8 year-old one and it's as strong as anything. The car doesn't get too much use either, maybe a couple of days a week it doesn't get used at all, and lots of short journeys, not to mention a week or so left standing every now and again for holidays over the years.
My last Alfa was the same - one battery change in 8 years of ownership.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Check if you've got something draining the battery, maybe a map light wasn't turned off, sat nav or handsfree kit still active after locking the car, door / boot left ajar e.t.c

I left my key in the ignition once when cleaning and valeting the car for about 4-5 hours, came to start it next morning. Dead, jump started. But ever since cold starts have never really been the same. I think once you've drained it down to a certain level it won't hold its charge aswell imo.
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep, it was the battery, new one just fitted. Will also check for anything draining it. My boot shows up as open all the time even though isn't, the lights stay on in the boot but they go off after about 10 minutes. Could this be problem? (I am planning to get new boot lock very soon!)
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
in 159 blue&me is connected directly(through fuse) to battery, the same alarm, central lock and probably a few other small devices. in my wife's giulietta, leaving it for more than 2 weeks causes nearly flat battery, so it is not charged enough to open locks, and dies when i try to start engine.

re batteries, depends on quality, charging, temperatures outside etc batteries in my former cars (various makes) lasted between 2.5 to 7 years, and usually suddenly died (shor in cell, so recharging was able to bring it to 10.5V)
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Seems a silly thing to say but have you checked the battery terminals are tight as mine did this and it was the positive terminal not tight enough
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes, I checked that, all very tight. As mentioned, once the battery was checked it showed up as needing replacing. Just don't want the new one to drain!
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Could always replace the interior lights, side lights and boot lights to LEDs so that even if they don't all turn off, the drain is substantially less.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowkarmann View Post
Yep, it was the battery, new one just fitted. Will also check for anything draining it. My boot shows up as open all the time even though isn't, the lights stay on in the boot but they go off after about 10 minutes. Could this be problem? (I am planning to get new boot lock very soon!)
That's the problem. So boot lock is draining but the lights are turning off on the 'delay' system, giving you the impression that the drain has stopped.
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So which part of it is draining? Is there still power going to the boot once the lights go out?

Is there any way to sort this before getting the lock changed?
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
I have had a similar issue with my SW when I leave it for over a week.
Sources of parasitic drains I've found so far are the alarm, door locked leds and the interior light system - I could pull the fuses on the latter but not yet bothered.
Trying to get around the parasitic drain by using a AA solar battery conditioner plugged into the USB (see AA Shop | Car Battery Solar Charger)
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 19-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I've unplugged one of the microswitches in boot so lights are off and also dash notification off. strangely, both switches seemed to do exactly the same thing!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , dead , start