Brera powersteering - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By JON156VELOCE
  • 1 Post By matty74
  • 1 Post By CarbonLivelli

jey.d.

County: -
Brera powersteering

Hi guys and sorry for bringing up a topic which has been discussed countless times. However each and every time i guess there is a different variable to it. Here is mine: i bought the 2.4jtdm brera about a month ago. It had that dreadful noise everytime you would barely steer the wheel. Two mechanics said that it could be the pump that it is faulty but the third just filled the servo oil since it was below minimum and the noise went way by what i could describe as 80%. However, when i turn the wheel really slowly while not driving the car you still hear a bit of the sound , say 15-20%. My question is whether if i cleaned the reservoir and filled it with the green rather than the red liquid could help to eleminate the issue completely? Thank you all in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

Where did the fluid go? I'd be investigating and fixing that first.

But no, I'd doubt that a change of fluid will stop the underlying issue that you are hearing.
jey.d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Where did the fluid go? I'd be investigating and fixing that first.

But no, I'd doubt that a change of fluid will stop the underlying issue that you are hearing.

It doesnt seem to be a leaking somewhere. I bought it i guess with not so much fluid in it from the previous owner. Thats why my personal theory suggests that since with very little fluid made so much noise and now that is full makes extremely little, couldnt it be because the fluid lost its abilities to serve its purpose? Plus its mixed new and old.

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

I would stay with whatever type of fluid thats in there but change it for new, going from the slightly thicker red to the thinner green later in thw cars life can cause the steering rack to leak which is expensive to fix.
matty74 and jey.d. like this.
jey.d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
I would stay with whatever type of fluid thats in there but change it for new, going from the slightly thicker red to the thinner green later in thw cars life can cause the steering rack to leak which is expensive to fix.

Should i just clean the system and fill it up agsin basically? Without changing the reservoir?

AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Totally agree with JON156VELOCE on this, my steering rack failed the other week after 103k and 9 years of running the wrong red fluid.

An Indie told me that my rack was on it's way out when i was on 60k so I think I did alright out of it.
I've read countless threads on the Red/Green debate but only planned to go to green in the event of failure, at which point I also had a new reservoir fitted. Mine slowly started dripping from the seals onto the under tray before it eventually failed.
jey.d. likes this.
AO Member

Jey as predicted all Alfas are different. I had red fluid until 60K and changed reservoir and to green fluid. My rack hasn't failed 10 k later, but neither is there any difference what so ever! I guess my main point would be you're putting a lot of pressure on everything moving the steering when stationary, unless I'm on gravel I'd avoid anyway and at least crept as you turn

jey.d. likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , powersteering