Brera purchase advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 22Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 15-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK
Garage

Member car:

Mito

Brera purchase advice

Hi all, this may be an unwise choice but considering selling my Mito and buying a Brera instead. Looking at the 5-6k region and ideally. Heapest running costs possible to definitely not the V6. Any tips on the most dependable engine/common problems to look for in a potential purchase?

Thanks
Ewan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

2.2 - Timing chain, gearbox issues, pretty poor mpg. Look for one that has the chain and gearbox problem sorted..
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

As above but also note that having a fresh mot is no guarrentee that the front subframe isn't completely rotten. You can't see the worst of it with the undertray on.

Many are now of the age when they are either just about to need a mid life refresh or have recently had one. An older, cheaper higher mileage example can be the best bet if it falls into the second category.

Judging purely on the traffic in here the 2.2 seems to be far more durable than the diesel.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Try the buyers guide in the stickies, but would say choice engines are the 2.0 jtdm or 1750tbi. Though may be out of your budget as on newer cars.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMito View Post
Hi all, this may be an unwise choice but considering selling my Mito and buying a Brera instead. Looking at the 5-6k region and ideally. Heapest running costs possible to definitely not the V6. Any tips on the most dependable engine/common problems to look for in a potential purchase?

Thanks
Ewan
Their getting to an age when your going to need to spend more on maintenance etc, the 2.2 is your best bet but be prepared for the potencial of much bigger bills than on your Mito
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
None of the engines are perfect, and with your tiny budget there's only really the 2.2 petrol.
The 1.75 TBi petrol will be about twice your budget, the 2.0 diesel is incredibly rare and would you want a diesel in a sports coupe anyway? If so, a 2.4 is likely to be your only option.

Make sure you have money aside to keep it roadworthy. They might be cheap to buy these days, but will still need money throwing at them from time to time.
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMito View Post

Thanks
Ewan
These cars are now of an age where it is only worth considering the best. Despite Alfa Romeo's best efforts at F-----g up the 3.2 it is potentially the best of the bunch. The difference in consumption between the 2.2 and the 3.2 is not significant enough to dismiss the 3.2. And if you are going to do low mileage, what the heck! Plus as petrol prices are hiked due to the informed decision of the British Electorate to "Brexit", the prices will fall or at least be static for a number of years. It's a great project car and parts continue to be available from G.M. The 3.2 has potential to be a great engine and the Q4 is simply brilliant. There are many reasons to avoid it but also many many more not to. It is not a Busso but, it can in my opinion be made an awful lot better than it is given credit for. For me, this engine can make 300 horse easily. G.M. have shown it's got potential. It just needs thinking through.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
The difference in consumption between the 2.2 and the 3.2 is not significant enough to dismiss the 3.2. And if you are going to do low mileage, what the heck!
Fair point. The 2.2 consumption is abysmal for the performance, as is the tax band.
In 2016 the engines seem like antiques, but back in the day were probably similar to competitors.
Very cheap to buy now, so it's all a balance of running costs and initial outlay.
AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Brera purchase advice

I've spent close to 4k on mine this year on big jobs to get me through the next 100k ... If i average what i've spent over the 6yrs of ownership i'd say it wasn't too bad at all.
Am i going to let someone else benefit from new suspension all round, new clutch, new steering rack [it failed, they can] new crankshaft pulley and tensioners among other things

No, I'm going to keep filling it with Shell V+ Nitro Power ... get 400 miles for 60 or 46litres and drive it with a big smile on my face until I can afford that Bonkers Giulia ... which should coincide with my early retirement in about 7yrs time
mikeyw, bigjim, sizewell and 1 others like this.

Previous Alfa's
1999 156 2.5 V6 Sport Pack 3 (190)
2004 GT 1.9 JTDm (150)

Current Alfa's
2007 Brera 2.4 JTDm SV (200)
2011 Guilietta 1.4 TB Multiair (170)

Also
1970 VW T2 Early Bay (50)

Last edited by matty74; 16-10-16 at 20:14.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I went through the thought process that you are going though now, the 3.2 in my opinion was just going to cost too much to run, fuel, tax, a nightmare. The 2.2 was just not up to the job and that dreaded M32 gearbox worried me, so the 2.4 it was. A great car with good all round performance, the only problem is that it's a diesel and that does drive me mad. After two years of great service from my 2.4 I am looking for a 1750. I think with some bobs and tweeks it will be a good replacement. Whatever you buy enjoy.
sizewell likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Garage
I got my 2.2 a week ago after owning a 2ltr Audi a4 Quattro, which is pretty quick.

Getting slightly less for my gallon in the alfa and apart from the low revs hesitation I'm more than happy..... In fact I think without this hesitation, it would be a pretty good 0-60 compared to my 130k Audi.

Would rather have this situation over a diesel and aside that.... A diesel in a coupe? Nah

Gearbox isn't a worry for me as it's 2009 model which I think means I don't have the m32 woes people talk of.
Tata4Now likes this.
AO Silver Member

[QUOTE=MrManQ;15355874

Would rather have this situation over a diesel and aside that.... A diesel in a coupe? Nah

Gearbox isn't a worry for me as it's 2009 model which I think means I don't have the m32 woes people talk of.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

You have the M32 as well. Fitted to all 2.2s and 1.75s. Nowhere near as big a problem as that in the 1.9 diesel though (159 only).
2.2s that develop a 'noise' can go on for tens of thousands of miles without issue. I'm driving one.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
AO Member

The only thing you'd notice when driving the diesel coupe is that the Rev counter doesn't have a number 8 on it ... because it doesn't need one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philjay50 and alfahemi like this.
AO Silver Member

...you'll need an ICE system with a volume of 10 though, perhaps '11' a la Spinal Tap, to block out the clatter and rattle...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
...you'll need an ICE system with a volume of 10 though, perhaps '11' a la Spinal Tap, to block out the clatter and rattle...

Ha ha ... trust me at 2,000 Revs and a shade under 80mph with plenty more under my foot, the last thing I need to do is turn the up volume ... I think they go up to 30 or even 50 these days.
Try it out the next time your roof's flapping about when your windows are down

AO Member

As much as I don't like the sound of the diesel, the 2.4 once on the move and running at 2-2.5k rpm it sounds fine, under acceleration it also has quite a nice tone, not a busso though. On the noise front, 2.5k rpm = 90mph, the biggest sound is the tyres, seriously.
AO Silver Member

I have little use for music on the move these days, my engine's taken on a lovely timbre, particularly in the first 3 gears.
If timed correctly, in the initial acceleration you get a very nice burble.
I can't say I was aware of this in the early days, maybe it's how the engine loosens up with mileage.
An engine's sound is all part of the driving experience for me.
matty74, Philjay50 and Top Down like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
As much as I don't like the sound of the diesel, the 2.4 once on the move and running at 2-2.5k rpm it sounds fine, under acceleration it also has quite a nice tone, not a busso though. On the noise front, 2.5k rpm = 90mph, the biggest sound is the tyres, seriously.

Depends if you're running corner shop tyres or not ... why buy an Italian suit and then buy shoes from Tommy Balls, I have no problem with road noise running vredestein (copy/paste) on mine ... as for the Busso, I ran one for 10yrs on a 156 S3 model and would I have that engine in my Brera ... in a heartbeat

AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
You have the M32 as well. Fitted to all 2.2s and 1.75s. Nowhere near as big a problem as that in the 1.9 diesel though (159 only).
I stand corrected, there i go trying to be clever again, Mum always told me to wind my neck in.
matty74 and Philjay50 like this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
Depends if you're running corner shop tyres or not ... why buy an Italian suit and then buy shoes from Tommy Balls, I have no problem with road noise running vredestein (copy/paste) on mine ... as for the Busso, I ran one for 10yrs on a 156 S3 model and would I have that engine in my Brera ... in a heartbeat

When I bought the car it had a mixture of Bridgestones, Michelin and a cheapo. I bought a set of 18" wheels and for some reason I put Bridgestones on them, knowing that they could be noisy, and they are, four are twice as noisy as two I have discovered. They do grip reasonable well though. Not sure what I would replace them with TBH, possibly Goodyears, I had them on one of my 156's.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
When I bought the car it had a mixture of Bridgestones, Michelin and a cheapo. I bought a set of 18" wheels and for some reason I put Bridgestones on them, knowing that they could be noisy, and they are, four are twice as noisy as two I have discovered. They do grip reasonable well though. Not sure what I would replace them with TBH, possibly Goodyears, I had them on one of my 156's.

The other thing is the state of our road surfaces ... that loose stone garbage they chuck down on the B roads and our patchwork quilt Motorways ... there's 2 good sections on the M6 where the surface is as it should be ... M58 -> A580 southbound and Charnock -> Leyland northbound, when I hit those, the sound level reduces even further ... did it @ 90 this morning ... brought a smile to my face, not bad considering it was still 5:45am

Philjay50 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Concrete motorway slabs make my eardrums bleed.
matty74 and Philjay50 like this.
AO Member

To me the diesel in a Brera is like ordering ragu in Italy and instead getting egg noodles with ketchup.

The Brera looks so good parked you see that it gets a lot of attention when returning to it. And that's usually every time that I notice people's reaction even 10 years on, or six after production run ended.
I couldn't image after nearly four years of owning the 3.2 to push the start button and not here that growl you get on start up over a clatter instead, it just would spoil that Alfa experience for me without sounding like a snob.

As already stated if your doing 4-5, or even 6k a year the V6 Q4 has to be the one now all these year on if your looking to buy in today's market
Philjay50 and sizewell like this.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Would be interesting to get other drivers statistics on fuel costs, I can only vouch for myself but 80 usually suffices for a months worth of commuting, 35 miles a day, 24 days a month, not including pleasure.
For me the Alfa is a mode of transport, but also something to be proud of which I'm trying to do my best to look after. However I know alot of drivers out there buy it in petrol form and in bigger sized engines to fulfill the true sports car nature of the brand. For me anything over 2.0ltr would be massively impractical, however I'm only speculating. Can anyone else chime in on their monthly fuel bills and general overall mileage they rack up and for what purpose?

Would like to know how a 1.9/2.0 DERV fairs against a 2.4 DERV and against a 3.2 Petrol.

I kind of like the fact I can run the car on a low-tier, low-wage job. If I where struggling to run a 2.4/3.2 on a decent salary, the potential is there for needing to downsize in times of hardship which would be a massive shame and a another difficult alfa-decision.

The fuel savings potentially go into repairs / maintenance for the car.
However the 1.9 has temperamental gear boxes, so maybe the savings may be negated in the long run? On the flip side, the higher fuel cost of a 2.4 say would cost you more to fuel, but perhaps save you on bigger repair bills due to better boxes e.t.c? I guess it's all luck of the draw as to the condition of your car though.

Bit of derailment of the thread, but a concern of mine has been whether the car is worth the investment, i.e even if the car was repaired to near new condition, you're still stuck with a rather lack-lustre engine with it's faults. Is it better to to save your money and invest in the more reliable 2.0 or 2.4 litre models and in turn also get a nicer sounding engine? I wish I had known more about the model before I purchased, I would probably have gone with a 2.0 litre just for peace of mind (would also not have said no to a ti model too

I guess it's all down to budget and purpose. Social / Domestic / Pleasure or all of the above. Having an Alfa as a second car though would allow you to use it more as a weekend toy, so you could splash out on a petrol v6 if you're not doing massive commutes I suppose.
Philjay50 likes this.

2007 159 1.9 JTDM - Argento with Full Black Leather
Wheels: 18" Multi-spoke in Dark Anthracite
Engine Mods: DPF/EGR Delete/De-Swirled
Exhaust: Wizard Dual Backboxes Conversion
Lighting Mods: 6500K HID's & Fogs, Osram LED Conversion, Tri-Halo Conversion
Aesthetics: De-Chromed Grille, Brera Nose, EZ Lip, Biscione plate badge & Decals
Future Mods/ Fixes: Powerflex Bushes, Ti Skirts

Last edited by AlfaJoe92; 18-10-16 at 15:27.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera , purchase