Multiecuscan Values - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By epsonix

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South East
Multiecuscan Values

Hi All

I need some help identifying if my values are normal. I have searched the forum but i can seam to find a clear answer. The car is a 2.0jtdm 170 its running ok but something is not quite right but i can put my finger on it. The below values are all taken at normal running temp.

at idle EGR open 153%

at 2000 rpm EGR open 131%

The injector correction values are all different but all less 1 or more that -1 which i believe is ok

All the injectors have different injector codes, is that normal

at idle lambda concentration is 14.520

at 2000 rpm lambda concentration is 15.540 it also takes around 4 second to react to throtal changes

DPF is at 65% blocked but the average distance for the last 5 regens is 216 km which seams low to me that said over 140000 it has a total of 650 regens so mabey it is right

There is less than 5 difference between the desired and the actual for the MAF less that 0.5 for the fuel, egr and boost

Any help or advise is much appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Arhus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy19 View Post
The injector correction values are all different but all less 1 or more that -1 which i believe is ok

All the injectors have different injector codes, is that normal
All 5 injectors are different. When they are produced they are tested. The codes are "tolerances" that ensures that the injectors perform equal.
I would be worried if they where the same.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 15-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok cool thanks that good to know. I can tick that on off

Thanks
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Shouldn't the EGR values be 0% at idle?
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 15-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That would make sense but in two other threads they show that they have 128% at idle so i am confused
AO Member

At engine idle speed I believe the EGR should be closed & not passing exhaust into the combustion chamber.
Have you had it stripped down-has it been cleaned?
My car is averaging around 600 miles before regeneration is initiated.
I believe with the injectors if you add all the positive & negative values together they add up to zero-the ECU s way on maintaining balanced smooth running using minimum fuelling.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 16-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok that worrying i am averaging 216km i think something is wrong if you get 600miles. The injectors do add up to 0 so that is good and the egr has been stripped and cleaned. So has the maf, map and lambda sensor

So what next ? force a regen to give it a proper clean out?

County: Italia

Member car:

156 GTA

the rigeneration depends mostly on the profile mission of your car....
216 km is low but with very short trips at low rpm could be possible..if you make short trips you can have also a lot of interrupted rigenerations (they last more than 10 minutes)....600 miles for me is quiete unbeliavable
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 16-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah i do a lot of short journeys so that might be one reason but I have made a discovery .

I just did a forced regen to see what happened. It all seamed to go ok but after The pressure differential was -5 and the clogging was 68% surely this can be right strait after a forced regen. What dose this mean what is the best was to de-clog the dpf without damaging it?
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVelo View Post
All 5 injectors are different. When they are produced they are tested. The codes are "tolerances" that ensures that the injectors perform equal.
I would be worried if they where the same.
In 1.9JTDM codes were printed on each injector, so you can check they are the same (verify the order if e.g. they were taken away during maintanence work of the engine). I heard that only if you get your injector to some repair/refurbisshing, they may test them on machine and issue new calibration codes, and not necessarily re-print them on the injectors, so difference vs what is printed with what sits in ECU may mean wrong or not necessarily if new code was assigned.
Anyway, +-1 corrections are quite good, +-2 I thnk it is acceptable range.

Quote:
Ok that worrying i am averaging 216km i think something is wrong if you get 600miles. The injectors do add up to 0 so that is good and the egr has been stripped and cleaned. So has the maf, map and lambda sensor

So what next ? force a regen to give it a proper clean out?
No, do not do forced regenration - it usually makes more bad than good.
216km average DPF regeneration sounds to me very wrong/short. Not sure how ECU counts interrupted regenerations, maybe it is just that causing low average - I do not know. But still, even interrupted, they woudl do oil degradation each time (bit of fuel gets into oil during regeneration) - so with your poor avererage I guess your oil may be done after say 3k maybe 5k km.

My former 159 1.9JTDM 16V had average distance of 700-1200km between regenerations. It was driven mostly in town, on short distances from cold start, once/twice a week 20km run on motorway one way, and return a few hours later (visit parents), and for 7 years it never had any DPF issue (of what last 4 years driven with EGR blanked and ECU mod).

Quote:
Yeah i do a lot of short journeys so that might be one reason but I have made a discovery .

I just did a forced regen to see what happened. It all seamed to go ok but after The pressure differential was -5 and the clogging was 68% surely this can be right strait after a forced regen. What dose this mean what is the best was to de-clog the dpf without damaging it?
God, why you did that forced regeneration? It is not neutral to your DPF as far as I read various posts on forums - this procedure is meant for extremely clogged DPFs, where there is serious issue, as kind of last chance to make the car drivable (where it does not drive because DPF is so much clogged). I heard that with healty DPF it rather partially wrecks it - it is never the same good again.
And, after forced DPF regeneration, I read you need to change your engine oil, as the procedure is much worse than standard DPF regeneration (which also degrades oil but way less).
Forced regeneration is also risky - cars can burn (during normal regeneration there is air flow, which cools down exhaust pipes, car floor etc, but while steady you do not have that). Exhaust temperature then is someting like 650C deg or someting.
Leo_NL likes this.

Last edited by epsonix; 17-10-16 at 00:01.
AO Member

600 miles as per ECU data recorded & accessed via reg'd version of Multi Ecu Scan.I have independently verified this to be accurate by resetting trip after a regeneration.
I don't feel it would be useful to either myself or the original poster to fabricate stuff to post on AO.
I simply relayed my experiences of 159 ownership.
Currently my DPF is showing clogging of 37%.
AO Member

Have you removed & checked the MAP sensor?this can make a vast difference to the smooth running.
The readings of your EGR don't seem right have you check the data on ECU scan since you cleaned it?
Fuel additives can work well as a preventative measure by lowering the combustion temp of soot in DPF so it burns away during normal running temperatures.
If you have a badly clogged filter you could try something like JLM DPF spray which is sprayed directly to filter via temp sensor port.
Is the differential pressure sensor working ok?
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah checked & cleaned Map. Readings after EGR clean. Already used a fuel additive.

Did a forced regen only saw i should not after i done it. clogging went down to 68% I have now done only 25km and clogging is at 79% this seams wrong. I have bought some Normfest DPF100 cleaner that you spray on directly through the Lambda hole . Has any one used. this is it any good. Why is it clogging so quickly .

AHHHHHHH if i had hair i would pull it out.

Thanks For your help so far
AO Member

It could be clogging quicker if your air/fuel ratios are wrong-burning poorly due to the EGR being fully open from idle displacing oxygen during combustion so effectively running rich producing more soot.
Easiest way to check is to temporarily block off the EGR and see if it runs better-i think you have 3 start ups before it will throw up an engine check light.
See if it runs better without the EGR's influence-this would point to the malfunctioning EGR.
Blanking plates are around 5 from ebay-some people have made them temporarily from a snipped coke can-but do so at your own risk!:-)
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
Blanking plate can't really be fitted easily on a 2.0; better to switch it off by a remap.

There has been written a lot of info on regeneration issues, not all is that correct though!
Some facts and findings from my 2.0 experience;
- aborted regenerations are included in the total number of regenerations displayed (warning lamp is not illuminated).
- interval is mostly set by time counter, between 5-6 hrs on average.
- the higher average speed, the longer distance in between.
- furthermore it is calculated (somehow) on number of starts and pressure difference.
- start of regeneration process can start between 80 to 110+ %.
- boost drops to almost zero, unless power is asked.
- engine noise is different (deeper tone).
- average process takes 10mn => highly affects average consumption.
- DPF temperature rises up to 600-680 degrees each time (@~2,000 rpm)

My car's ECU shows 110,000 KM / 572 regenerations. When I bought the car at 70,000 the interval was calculated back at less than 160 KM, probably including a lot of occasions on which it was stopped before finishing. With a rather bad commuting profile of 18 KM single trip on dual carriage with a lot of round-a-bouts, traffic lights and speed hump, I get intervals of 250-300 KM on average.

However, when I have one or two 50 to 100 KM one way trips extra on the high way, between two tank fills, the average is around 350 KM. Consumption is on average 1L/14.5 KM.

During long distance trips, i.e. through France and Germany, the average interval reaches 450 KM to 550 max.

I had my car remapped twice with EGR off, but both times it didn't make any difference in length of interval.

Hope this will give you some peace of mind. Cheers.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
in 1.9jtdm i did 80% of driving on distances like 3-5km, then sometimes 15-20km,so there was plenty of starts and likely interrupted regenerations. nonetheless of this, my average distance between regenerations was between 700 to 1200km checked in MES. i cant remember if remap+egr off made difference to regeneration interval.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
multiecuscan , values