159 2.4JTDm SatNav upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By alfahemi
  • 1 Post By winno
  • 1 Post By Inferno
  • 1 Post By wred_e
  • 1 Post By Inferno
  • 1 Post By giblets46

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Rheinland-Pfalz
159 2.4JTDm SatNav upgrade

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007, 159 2.4 JDTM with what I assume is the standard equipment, as in the pic below

Can this be changed for a more modern / later model with bluetooth?

Concerning the more modern systems, what's the situation regarding maps. On mine, one disc per country @ +/- 250 euro each which really isn't great given I live on a border and 30 mins from two others!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122000535284.jpg (220.7 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Personally, I'd bin it and either use google maps or a tom tom. Get a nice head unit in there.
156 Germany likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Get a new head unit with Apple Carplay and Android auto so you can mirro the screen of your smart phone on the head unit's screen.
Then you can use the nav in your phone.

Lots of brands do them now.
I'm about to buy the Pioneer 8850 myself.
156 Germany likes this.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156 Germany View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2007, 159 2.4 JDTM with what I assume is the standard equipment, as in the pic below

Can this be changed for a more modern / later model with bluetooth?

Concerning the more modern systems, what's the situation regarding maps. On mine, one disc per country @ +/- 250 euro each which really isn't great given I live on a border and 30 mins from two others!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Neil
One more vote for an aftermarket unit. The installation is quite straightforward with the right Connects2 kit and the quality is better than the OEM head unit.

I personally went with a Pioneer AVIC with built in navigation, but a unit that supports screen mirroring would be enough.

As far as navigation is concerned, for both aftermarket and OEM units maps can be found easily if you browse around a little.
156 Germany likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 15-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

A new head unit sounds like the way to go. However, using google maps from the phone is, in the most part ok, but I live near many country borders.

Whilst about 70-80% of the time, it'll all be fine, I don't want to get into massive data roaming charges on the phone as soon as I travel over a border. I only need to nip down the road to the shops and the phone will switch to the network of another country.

Without spending hours googling all this, which of course I could do, does nayone have experience of replacing the head unit with one that has satnav integrated in it? Bluetooth too, to access phone contacts and other things.

OR, perhaps a unit I can send a route to from my phone oe email and access directly on the head unit. Does this even exist?

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
AO Member

County: Ahvenanmaan Laani
Or just use offline maps, for example Here maps (android, iOS & WP) has the ability to download maps for whole countries at a time and costs nothing.

Quote:

A new head unit sounds like the way to go. However, using google maps from the phone is, in the most part ok, but I live near many country borders.

Whilst about 70-80% of the time, it'll all be fine, I don't want to get into massive data roaming charges on the phone as soon as I travel over a border. I only need to nip down the road to the shops and the phone will switch to the network of another country.

Without spending hours googling all this, which of course I could do, does nayone have experience of replacing the head unit with one that has satnav integrated in it? Bluetooth too, to access phone contacts and other things.

OR, perhaps a unit I can send a route to from my phone oe email and access directly on the head unit. Does this even exist?

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
156 Germany likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 15-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wred_e View Post
Or just use offline maps, for example Here maps (android, iOS & WP) has the ability to download maps for whole countries at a time and costs nothing.
Thanks a lot!
AO Member

Quote:

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Any good aftermarket unit with satnav will usually have Bluetooth as well. The only downside is that units like these are pretty expensive, and may not be worth it, depending on how much you use satnav. If you use it rarely, a better way to go would be with a normal unit that can mirror your phone on which you install a navigation app. On my phone I use Sygic and Here maps, both are good, Here is free.

The installation is pretty straightforward, you need to get the Connects2 conversion kit which comes with a 2din cage and adapter for the steering controls.
156 Germany likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Try this guide, personally I have a pioneer f30bt, which works great, if you are happy with a used unit they ( say Nav units in generally ) are good value. Pioneer units are either f30/49/50 for full screen, or f930/940 etc with smaller screen and dial, higher number is newer. But you can get an update easy enough (pm me for info)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-a...6084?_k=onl0se
156 Germany likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Any good aftermarket unit with satnav will usually have Bluetooth as well. The only downside is that units like these are pretty expensive, and may not be worth it, depending on how much you use satnav. If you use it rarely, a better way to go would be with a normal unit that can mirror your phone on which you install a navigation app. On my phone I use Sygic and Here maps, both are good, Here is free.

The installation is pretty straightforward, you need to get the Connects2 conversion kit which comes with a 2din cage and adapter for the steering controls.
Thaks a lot. Will look into it
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Try this guide, personally I have a pioneer f30bt, which works great, if you are happy with a used unit they ( say Nav units in generally ) are good value. Pioneer units are either f30/49/50 for full screen, or f930/940 etc with smaller screen and dial, higher number is newer. But you can get an update easy enough (pm me for info)

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-a...6084?_k=onl0se
Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 24jtdm , satnav , upgrade