Thinking out loud - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Clay19
  • 1 Post By Clay19
  • 1 Post By Jimbon1973
  • 1 Post By lussoman

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 11-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Thinking out loud

Winter is not far off and the temp will be dropping in to single figures soon that's when I start to think about using my car as little as possible. I don't really like the thought of potentially ruining or ageing a rare car with terrible weather, besides my front tires are now down to 1.8mm. That's when I started to think about the Brera in general. Probably like most who have owned a brera, spider or 159 have thought about, is this car worth keeping for another year or so? And what could fill the void if I was to sell?
I like the car but it is getting on a bit and there's a to do list of things that will need money spending on soon. I have also decided to keep running it for another 3 years then possibly buy a used Giulia 2.0 Q4 turbo with 280bhp. I like the sound of them so far.

My Brera has 61k registered Feb 2007

My to do list is
1) Lower left-hand-side has slight play in ball joint, which has been noted on both 2016 and 2015 Mot's as an advisory. So I will replace both lowers with TWR's

2) 4x new Hankook tires and alloy refurb wouldn't go a miss

3) replace anti roll bars for Eibach's as they would benefit the car

4) fix rear bumper lower diffuser (it's cracked where it screws on) or replace & repaint.

5) fix small rust bubbles on boot lid ( just above badge ) or replace & repaint.

6) repaint rear bumper, light panel marks, that have been their since I bought it.

7) replace the standard rear bump stops as they appear to be hitting the top mounts with a thud after fitting koni shocks if the car is jolted. Sounds like the parcel shelf thumping, but it's not & no play in suspension at rear.

8) replace breaks all around with Tarox slotted or Brembo crossed drilled ( instead of OEM ) with performance pads, braided hoses and peformance break fluid. I should imagine the front and rear disc's have never been changed since 2007.

9) new spark plugs and an Itg air filter last changed both 11k ago. Current air filter BCM The oil & filter change will be carried out next week.

10) possibly replace the bonnet as it's been repaired in the center, which I didn't notice when buying. I was to excited I guess. I spotted it 3 days after I bought it, it's nothing to write home about but it's not perfect once you know it's their. If someone has a perfect misano blue one with no repairs needed please do let me know.

A very tall and expensive list of part and labour cost so I'll buy the parts on a monthly basis to be done by the cars tenth birthday in feb 2017. Next Mot march 2017
Philjay50, Fitz750 and AlfaJoe92 like this.

Last edited by Clay19; 11-10-16 at 01:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDm

Good luck, I've been dropping hundreds since June on the car, have a list of my own. It goes from mechanical to cosmetic / performance. The cosmetic / performance is hard to choose from to do first
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Doing only what is necessary until it is time for a change, which is a couple of years yet.
That might include an EGR delete.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

I know exactly how you feel mine is 9yrs old MOT due in March and has done 145000miles and probably only worth 1500-2000. And there is a list of things building up such As:-
1) Service Imminent
2) Cam Belt / Water Pump within the next 4 months
3) Rear Wiper completely seized - needs pulling apart and given a lube or a new one
4) Scuff on arches needs a re-spray
5) Brakes are worn and bleeding a bit
6) Scuffs/bubbles on alloys need addressing
7) New spark plugs
8) Two front tyres

So thats probably the cost of the cars worth if not more to keep it on the road. As i do alot of mileage 16k a year I am tempted to to use that money and the cars worth as a deposit on a cheapo new car with minimal monthlies whilst i wait for giulia Sportswagon should one eventually appear.

Either way its a heartbraking decision to make to part with my car and replace it with a dull economical thing.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay19 View Post
I like the car but it is getting on a bit and there's a to do list of things that will need money spending on soon. I have also decided to keep running it for another 3 years then possibly buy a used Giulia 2.0 Q4 turbo with 280bhp. I like the sound of them so far.
I also like the sound of the 280 bhp Giulia. There's no timeframe yet for when it'll be available in the UK, so you could be looking at a one or two year old at best in 3 years' time. You'll need a hefty budget.
I might have to settle for a 200 bhp, but not with those awful 16'' wheels which look ridiculously out of place. Probably more likely to go with another marque though, rather than put up with a saloon.
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 11-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

From reading the comments posted we're left in a catch 22. Sell up because you don't feel the car is worth the to do list budget, which would mean being backed in to a corner and drive something you don't love or really care for.
Or restore the car to it's former glory so it has a longer lease of life like what people are doing to Gtv's & Gta's, or in another ten years we could be looking at the Brera ending up no more of a relic in people's minds, & the for sale adds only have what ever is for sale with out a strong choice of engine spec or colour. Now that's a sad thought of one of the best looking cars ever made. Award winning cars should stay loved.
GroovyBoovy likes this.
AO Silver Member

I've been at a similar crossroads to you for some time Clay.

I'm ready for a change and want a stylish coupe around 2 to 3 years old, reasonable performance and decent economy, preferably Italian, and ideally sub-20k. I'm clearly too much of a fussy git as there's nothing coming close.

The Maserati GranTurismo was always a bit of a dream car for me, and now they're down to 30k for early ones they started to look tempting.
But sadly, having just read the buying guide in this month's Auto Italia, it will have to remain a dream.
It's a hell of a gamble for someone who has to pay to get someone else to keep it ship-shape.

For the time being I'll keep going with the Spider.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.
AO Member

County: Devon
It's always hard to guess these things, but I'd be pretty sure that in 10 years time, a mint and well cared for Brera will be worth more than it is now.
I'm quite enjoying having the 280 Giulia to look forward to (if it is coming UK way) as it puts a timeframe on my 159. I too will look for a 12 month old one. In blue. With nice wheels. Yellow calipers. Or will there not be many about?!?!
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
I've been at a similar crossroads to you for some time Clay.

I'm ready for a change and want a stylish coupe around 2 to 3 years old, reasonable performance and decent economy, preferably Italian, and ideally sub-20k. I'm clearly too much of a fussy git as there's nothing coming close.

The Maserati GranTurismo was always a bit of a dream car for me, and now they're down to 30k for early ones they started to look tempting.
But sadly, having just read the buying guide in this month's Auto Italia, it will have to remain a dream.
It's a hell of a gamble for someone who has to pay to get someone else to keep it ship-shape.

For the time being I'll keep going with the Spider.
You can get a Fiat 124 new for less than 20K
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leraunch View Post
You can get a Fiat 124 new for less than 20K
Looks too Japanese to me, whereas the MX5 looks Italian but wears the wrong badge!
Also said I'd never have another convertible after all the hassle the Alfa's given me.
BRZ gets close as a coupe, but as above, and not that economical for a modern car.
Audi A5's another, but the thought makes me yawn.
(Post Link) post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I saw one of those fiat's in white last week they look unattractive on-coming on the roads. I prefer the MX5 too. Makes sense why Alfa ditched it as their new spider to me
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I saw one of those fiat's in white last week they look unattractive on-coming on the roads. I prefer the MX5 too. Makes sense why Alfa ditched it as their new spider to me
I think the cars got mixed up at birth and went to the wrong mothers. The Jap car looks more Italian than the Italian car.
Had the Mazda carried the Alfa badge, particularly the new flying-buttresses version of it, I think I'd have one.
http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...front-view.jpg
The Fiat just looks nondescript from the side with an ugly front and rear to me.
Wezley likes this.

Last edited by lussoman; 11-10-16 at 16:25. Reason: link added
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 11-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That coupe looks nice, kind of like the Toyota Gt86 but nicer looking.
Your right about the design of the fiat it's as if all the process was left to Mazda's control without any Italian input as both cars are built alongside one and other in Japan. Fiat are just glad they have another car to sell to the Americans other than the 500.
AO Member

Member car:

From what I have read on the internet, the Giulia Veloce (the 4WD one) will not be available in the UK.
AO Member

County: Attica
( 7) replace the standard rear bump stops as they appear to be hitting the top mounts with a thud after fitting koni shocks if the car is jolted. Sounds like the parcel shelf thumping, but it's not & no play in suspension at rear.)

Clay19 did you have any luck with item 7?? It seems I have the same problem with adjustable KONIs in my Brera
(Post Link) post #16 of 19 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

To be honest it's been happening for some time now, I've had all the suspension checked and pry barred everything, so that's what leads me to believe it is the plastic standard bump stops hitting the mounts ( as they are very large and the car sits lower than OEM. It's not a problem just I don't like the sound of it. Doesn't do it if I go over road humps one wheel at a time. As mentioned it's on the to do list, I'm just putting up with it for now I'm afraid to say
AO Member

Quote:
To be honest it's been happening for some time now, I've had all the suspension checked and pry barred everything, so that's what leads me to believe it is the plastic standard bump stops hitting the mounts ( as they are very large and the car sits lower than OEM. It's not a problem just I don't like the sound of it. Doesn't do it if I go over road humps one wheel at a time. As mentioned it's on the to do list, I'm just putting up with it for now I'm afraid to say
Thanks. Have been trying to locate the knock for many years. Initially thought the parcel self, then the shocks, the exhaust, the bushes, the fuel tank but no result so far.
Thinking to try this next and keep my fingers crossed...
(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Same checks mate, same thoughts keep me posted on what you resolve please if you would update the thread
AO Member

Definitely will. Only clue so far is that the knock was reduced significantly when I tried Bilstein B6 which were replaced within one year with KONIs (they were way too soft)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
loud , thinking