2.4jtd qtronic - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mac29
  • 1 Post By Rewe

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: England
2.4jtd qtronic

Be gentle guys as I'm new here and to alfas and finding my way around.

A couple of questions
My temperature gauge only ever gets to 90 when the car is pulling hard up hills or sitting in traffic. Just done a 30 min drive mix of town country lanes and ten miles up the motorway. Temperature just about reached 90 on a couple of occasions rest of the time resolutely hovered around 75-80. Is this normal temp or is there an issue ?

Secondly the auto seems to hesitate sometimes on up changes, almost kind of hangs back. Looking at the history that came with it it had auto fluid a couple of years ago but cannot verify what type, could that be an issue ?

Any thoughts gratefully recieved by a newbie. I don't drive hard but more consistent I bought the car as I live the look, and it's a joy to be in.

Slowly getting used to people admiring it as I drive past :-)

Cheers Dave (grinning)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCru View Post
Be gentle guys as I'm new here and to alfas and finding my way around.

A couple of questions
My temperature gauge only ever gets to 90 when the car is pulling hard up hills or sitting in traffic. Just done a 30 min drive mix of town country lanes and ten miles up the motorway. Temperature just about reached 90 on a couple of occasions rest of the time resolutely hovered around 75-80. Is this normal temp or is there an issue ?

Secondly the auto seems to hesitate sometimes on up changes, almost kind of hangs back. Looking at the history that came with it it had auto fluid a couple of years ago but cannot verify what type, could that be an issue ?

Any thoughts gratefully recieved by a newbie. I don't drive hard but more consistent I bought the car as I live the look, and it's a joy to be in.

Slowly getting used to people admiring it as I drive past :-)

Cheers Dave (grinning)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd say your temperature is perfectly where it should be mate. Not had anything to do with the auto box so couldn't give comment mate.

Happy motoring. I love the Alfa, they have to be one of the most underrated cars going. Imo they offer great value for money second hand. They are certainly great build quality.
DaveCru likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

It sounds like your thermostat has failed open. I don't know if that is common with 159/Brera models but it was quite common with the older GTV/156/147/GT models
DaveCru likes this.
AO Member

County: Genève
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
It sounds like your thermostat has failed open. I don't know if that is common with 159/Brera models but it was quite common with the older GTV/156/147/GT models
Regarding your Qtronic auto box (I have one also) matted to my 2.4JTDM with 400Nm of torque. From what I read that's a normal behaviour of that gearbox. It's way to protect the drivetrain from all the torque of the 5 cylinder 2.4... Manual gearboxes tend to break with this engine, for the exact same reason...
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: England
Thanks for that Bruno hadn't realised that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
24jtd , qtronic