Little rattle when applying throttle on 2.4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Netherlands
-(solved)- Little rattle when applying throttle on 2.4

Hi Guys,

Noticed that my car developed a new noise. Some kinda rattle. Not that loud actually, when you have volume high enough one would not hear it.

I've a video with the sound of the noise. You need to listen really close.

The rattle/squeak is only when applying throttle after no throttle at all. So you would hear it after gear change. Let me put it in the right order and when you would hear it.
Release throttle, press clutch, change gear, release clutch, ***, apply throttle. At the point that you apply throttle you hear the sound for a brief moment. When you release throttle fully and apply throttle again you hear the sound again.
At the spot o the *** I've waited multiple seconds before pressing the gas to make sure the sound is not from changing the gear or the clutch.

The sound seems to disappear in 5/6th gear, atleast is is getting harder to hear. It also seems to come from the front of the car, the enginebay so to speak.

Currently 205,000 KM on the clock, with original DMF and clutch. Could it be the DMF giving me ****?

Car seems to act perfectly normal besides from this anoying sound.

https://sendvid.com/s1p9h7u0
(in the video i've engaged first gear, only touching the throttle, no clutch or anything. I just mildly press the throtle until you hear the sound, and release it. (repeatedly)

Does anyone have a clue here, I know its not a lot to go on...

Last edited by smhaze; 30-10-16 at 12:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Almost sounds like a mis-fire. Hard to tell. Does sound a little odd though.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 30-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Netherlands
-(solved)- Little rattle when applying throttle on 2.4

The squeek/rattle seemed to came from the right/passenger side of the car. Since the right upper wishbone needed to be changed anyway I hoped that this issue would be resolved with it. But no, the issue remained. As the weather is getting colder I even heard the noise when starting the car (for a brief moment). So any driving related parts, such as driveshafts, suspension, gearbox, would be eleminated. This week I read this thread:http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ging-gear.html (Squeak when changing gear)

It kinda descriped the same symptoms, looking at this post http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15384554 (Squeak when changing gear) I thought I would give it a try. Before doing anything I wiggled the airbox a bit and to my suprise it makes the exact same noise as I was hearing in the car. Looking at the rubber in the metal fork, which has quite some grooves, I could see that this box moves quite a lot. So I applied some grease and it seemed to fix the issue.

I love it when a potential costly issue (if you let your imagination run wild at hearing such noises) can be fixed in a minute.

For anyone having the same symptoms, try this solution:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15384554 (Squeak when changing gear)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Tyrone
Garage
my car had quite a significant rattle for a while, so I assumed the dreaded DMF had gone. It was intermittent, but almost always could be caused by either clutching or letting the clutch out.

I got the DMF and clutch changed last week by a local mechanic. However I was horrified when I got the car back to find out that the rattle was still happening.

I read through the forum, searching for any possible rattles. I had come up with the following to check:

- Dodgy injector or two
- crankshaft pulley or tensioner
- AC compressor (which is a little whiney, though working ok)

then i saw this, thinking it could be significant since I installed a new airbox last year to replace a crappy aftermarket filter.

Lo and behold, when I wiggled the airbox plenum I heard the distinctive metallic rattle of the hard plastic chamber hitting the metal holder it fits into.

On the one hand I'm pretty relieved to have found out the problem, though it does mean I've just changed a clutch and DMF that wasn't really needed (yet anyway!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
applying , rattle , throttle