Rumbling Noise at speed. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tricolori

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Well Happy Rumbling Noise at speed.

Hi all.

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on a noise I have on my 159.
The car is 2011 SW 2.0jtdm.

The noise is a rumbling sound, rather like a wheel bearing problem but only happens at certain speeds.
Strangely it only happens above speeds of around 50mph and I can still hear it beyond 70. There is also slight feedback through pedals and steering but this is more of a light vibration than rumble.
I don't think it is the gearbox...pressed clutch at speed and noise is still there.

My tyres look in good condition, they are bridgestone potenza's all-round.

Now, i used to have an older 159 that had a driveshaft issue that was resolved under warranty at a dealership.
Does anyone know if the driveshaft problem extended to the later 159's? The driveshafts on my older car would make noises at very low speeds but this is at above 50mph.
I'd like to eliminate a few possible causes before i go in all guns blazing. I do have a warranty with the AA which was included the price of the car but from the conversation I had today with them, they want the car assessed at "their" approved workshops which is Halfords Auto centre! And if they find nothing, i have to pay for the assessment.

Could this be as simple as a wheel weight that has flown off? Poss wheel bearing? Or is it maybe the driveshafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West

Member car:

2009 Brera 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolori View Post
Hi all.

The noise is a rumbling sound, rather like a wheel bearing problem but only happens at certain speeds.
Strangely it only happens above speeds of around 50mph and I can still hear it beyond 70. There is also slight feedback through pedals and steering but this is more of a light vibration than rumble.
I don't think it is the gearbox...pressed clutch at speed and noise is still there.

Now, i used to have an older 159 that had a driveshaft issue that was resolved under warranty at a dealership.
Does anyone know if the driveshaft problem extended to the later 159's? The driveshafts on my older car would make noises at very low speeds but this is at above 50mph.
I'd like to eliminate a few possible causes before i go in all guns blazing. I do have a warranty with the AA which was included the price of the car but from the conversation I had today with them, they want the car assessed at "their" approved workshops which is Halfords Auto centre! And if they find nothing, i have to pay for the assessment.

Could this be as simple as a wheel weight that has flown off? Poss wheel bearing? Or is it maybe the driveshafts?
Have you got a snippet of video... youtube... by any chance?
AO Member

County: -kent
Jack up the car and spin each wheel whilst holding the suspension Spring. You will quickly feel any harshness in the bearing which is amplified/transmitted through the spring as vibration.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I don't think the phone will pick up the noise. I've not managed to jack it up and have a look yet but it is booked in with motor mech in Birmingham next week. Will let you know how it pans out!

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolori View Post
Hi all.

The tyres may look fine and be perfectly legal, but there is a phenomenon called tread stepping that can cause the noise you describe. If they are worn fairly evenly I would try swapping the wheels front to rear and see if it changes anything.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 13-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just a quick update... Issue seems to be resolved.

Took it to Motor Mech in Birmingham and was diagnosed as NSF wheel bearing. Got it done under warranty. Also there was slight feathering of the tyres at the front which would prob suggest that it has had suspension issues in the past that were maybe left for some time. The front tyres has been reversed to the rear and the rumbling has gone.
I think the 19inch Bridgestones are quite noisy anyway so I will have to get something quieter next time!

Thanks for the help!

Forgot to mention... Wheels were slightly out of balance so it has been a combination of a few things that has caused this.
Lord_of_beard likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
noise , rumbling , speed