Please help- accelerator pedal potentiometer wo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Callaghan82

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Please help- accelerator pedal potentiometer wo

So I spent half a day cleaning my beloved and getting in the car today I was treated with the vsc and asr fault and then the check engine light came on, just what I needed on a Monday morning! Set off to work and the car accelerated only when setting off and almost felt like it was driving itself and over revving. Managed to get to work and back driving carefully albeit with a very noisy engine and idling at 1500 before dropping to 500.

Hooked it to the multiecuscan program and error 2135 found which is accelerator pedal potentiometer (feasibility)

Anyone have any clue what this means? Google not very helpful on the 159 model. Could I have knocked a connector when cleaning her or anyone have any ideas what I need to check? Can get it to a garage but need it for work over the next few days so wanted to eliminate any day options initially?

Sent from my iPad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

I would check battery voltage before anything..VSC/ASR are very common when battery are dead. If you use MES, you can see the potmeters, one should be half of the other, cant remember exact values. But first try if you can reset the fault..Maybe have a look at the acc. Pedal, the potmeters are inside the assy for it & should be pretty easy to spot if a connector has gotten loose.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmik View Post
I would check battery voltage before anything..VSC/ASR are very common when battery are dead. If you use MES, you can see the potmeters, one should be half of the other, cant remember exact values. But first try if you can reset the fault..Maybe have a look at the acc. Pedal, the potmeters are inside the assy for it & should be pretty easy to spot if a connector has gotten loose.
Thanks for your response. I don't think it is the battery as I replaced it last year with an uprated size and it seems a bit to coincidental that immediately after cleaning the car this happens. I am a bit of a novice with mes. How do I check the pot values? Which menu do I select and which cable to use?

Would the pedal issue cause a check engine light on start up?

I will check for loose connections when it's day light but if it is faulty what would I need to replace?

Sent from my iPad

AO Member

County: Nordjylland
Garage

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm 210

See attachment for what i would check, just normal cable or interface straight to cars connector.

IF it should go so wrong you need to change anything, it would be the accelerator assy, but hold you horses just a little bit yet ;-) Could it be that you have soaked it in water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaghan82 View Post
Thanks for your response. I don't think it is the battery as I replaced it last year with an uprated size and it seems a bit to coincidental that immediately after cleaning the car this happens. I am a bit of a novice with mes. How do I check the pot values? Which menu do I select and which cable to use?

Would the pedal issue cause a check engine light on start up?

I will check for loose connections when it's day light but if it is faulty what would I need to replace?

Sent from my iPad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gp.jpg (130.2 KB, 13 views)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
My problem is probably a bit different but anyway....
I had all the warnings pop up as seems to happen now and again, ASR, VDC, Hill holder not available and get engine checked, this usually means a quick reboot with my Spider, disconnect battery for 20 mins, reconnect and alls fine but this time it wouldnt reset.
I tried several times then remembered I had been given a MaxiScan reader, I plugged it in and had the following show up, Throttle/pedal, position sensor, switch B circuit.
I contacted Laurence at Autolusso as I had it serviced about a month ago and the day before the same thing happened, he said the same fault code was there at the service but he cleared the codes and the fault went away.
He said it was probably either the potentiometer or the throttle body (I think thats what he said) but to try a reboot and see if it clears.
Last night I plugged the OBD 2 reader in and cleared the fault code and hey presto all's back to normal.

OK so theres a fault there somewhere that will come back at me later but for now all is ok and I'll keep my eye on it.

Alfas have their little idiosyncrasies and mine seems to centre around the electrical system, strangely enough this is the only car Ive had where I just let it go and think "ah well shes off on a strop again"
I know you'll all think Im mental but I think mine is a bit like 'Christine' from the film, if I dont clean her for more than two weeks she kicks off, I gave her the full works of wash, quick detail, tyre shine, interior going over, plugged in the OBD reader for a reset and once again all is well.

Driving in an Alfa wonderland
AO Member

County: -
That is odd, I washed my car and got a bunch of asr/vsc faults too! it was resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I assumed some water had got somewhere it wasn't supposed to.

A week later, while driving It happened again but this time along with throttle pedal position sensor errors and 10's of other electrical errors. This was resolved after I tried a few things: leaving the battery disconnected for 45 mins, leaving the key in for 90 secs (ecu reset according to google?) + MultiEcuScan ecu reset procedure + disconnecting and re-connecting the top ecu+throttle+maf sensor cables.

not sure what one of the above resolved it...but either way its possible the ECU just needs some sort of reset instead of there actually being a hardware fault....hope that is of some help
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Got to love Alfie! Back in today and no vsc or asr and engine running smoothly. Had check engine light on but after 3 restarts this also went off! Must have been a glitch somewhere in the system which has cleared. I did a proxy allignment yesterday so maybe this reolved it. Thanks for your input guys, never a dull moment with this car!
Chipmik likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
accelerator , pedal , potentiometer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page