Alfa Brera 3.2 or 2.4 with a re map? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Clay19
  • 1 Post By A_Venables
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
marcosisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Ayrshire
County: Scotland
Garage
Alfa Brera 3.2 or 2.4 with a re map?

Hi all,
Just got my 2.4 Brera re mapped and it's now running over 240bhp and truly is a totally different car to drive! Now with similar bhp to the 3.2 and buckets more torque I was wondering how the 2.4 would now compare to the 3.2 in terms of performance?🤔 Obviously that V6 sound is far superior however just on the basis of pure performance id be curious to know if there is now a great difference? Any thoughts?
marcosisi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
dc
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
dc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
If you can live with the fuel consumption of the 3.2 (which can be truly appalling on short journeys) and the cost of things like the timing chain replacement, if it's needed then it is apparently a great car. The diesel is a better bet (from having owned one a few years back) but these days I am happy with the 2.2. The mpg on my car is around 20mpg around town which is bad enough..
I had my diesel Brera remapped and the power was incredible, even though the mpg was around 30mpg on average. I don't think you will ever get that from the 3.2. If you want a better sound look into a specialist exhaust from Alfatune or Wizard...
dc is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
nogrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
County: -
The difference I found is that the 3.2 torque is always there, whereas the remapped 2.4 still has the slight turbo lag/peakyness. A remapped 2.4 is night and day compared to the standard 200/210bhp but still not quite as good as a standard 3.2. You'll never get the 2.4 sounding like the 3.2 but the difference in real world mpg is why I'm now in a 2.4.
nogrip is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
County: -
Ask yourself what's more important miles per gallon or smiles per gallon? The 3.2 out performs the diesel in so many ways. If one was to take either car for a track day I know what I'd rather drive

P.S you can also remap a 3.2 V6 too
lussoman likes this.
Clay19 is offline  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosisi View Post
Hi all,
Just got my 2.4 Brera re mapped and it's now running over 240bhp and truly is a totally different car to drive! Now with similar bhp to the 3.2 and buckets more torque I was wondering how the 2.4 would now compare to the 3.2 in terms of performance?🤔 Obviously that V6 sound is far superior however just on the basis of pure performance id be curious to know if there is now a great difference? Any thoughts?
You may struggle to find anyone that has the experience of both a remapped DERV and a V6.
The V6 driver would've bought it for the performance - a diesel wouldn't be on the radar. Conversely, the DERV would be bought essentially to save the pennies. Chalk and cheese.
lussoman is offline  
Status: Still very confused
AO Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Oh the eternal debate, diesel v petrol, I bought a 2.4 for the same reason as everybody else, MPG, sad I know but the 3.2 is just to thirsty, and for my money the 2.2 is not a great compromise. However, I am thinking that a 1.8tbi may be the answer with a little bit of modding and a remap, first all all I need to find one that is not too expensive and then have a chat with the guru.
Philjay50 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
nogrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
County: -
Quote:
You may struggle to find anyone that has the experience of both a remapped DERV and a V6
I had a 159 3.2 Q4 SW and changed it for a 2.4 Spider 200 which I tweeked as far as I dare (245bhp and 480Nm). Petrol is better but diseasel is still a hoot.
nogrip is offline  
Status: Let the V6 howl!
AO Member
 
A_Venables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogrip View Post
The difference I found is that the 3.2 torque is always there, whereas the remapped 2.4 still has the slight turbo lag/peakyness. A remapped 2.4 is night and day compared to the standard 200/210bhp but still not quite as good as a standard 3.2. You'll never get the 2.4 sounding like the 3.2 but the difference in real world mpg is why I'm now in a 2.4.
That does surprise me, I really would have thought a re mapped 2.4 would have been similar in performance to a standard 3.2. Listening to 2.4s on youtube, they still sound impressive for what they are! I bought the 3.2 because every time I had always bought the sensible version - Calibra 16v>wanted the Turbo, Corsa VXR>wanted the Monaro VXR. Always got talked into getting the cheaper to run version, this time it was to hell with it, going to do it properly. Although, if the Spider wasn't the second, in the garage car, it may have had to have been different!
Leo_NL likes this.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
A_Venables is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
nogrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
County: -
Quote:
That does surprise me, I really would have thought a re mapped 2.4 would have been similar in performance to a standard 3.2.
They are pretty similar but my seat of the pants feeling (!!) is that the 2.4 has more torque but it's in a narrower band - say 1500 to 3500 rpm and it takes a second to build up boost. The 3.2 pulls strongly from 1500 to 5500 so seems stronger. Very subjective as it's been 12 months since I drove a 3.2 and even then I jumped into an unmapped 200bhp straight after which was noticeably slower.
nogrip is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
County: -
Its there a good company offering a re-map for the 3.2?
big red 1 is offline  
Status: turning heads everywhere
AO Silver Member
 
lussoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Preston
County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by big red 1 View Post
Its there a good company offering a re-map for the 3.2?
Alfatune.
lussoman is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alfa , brera , map

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome