Rumble Rumble?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -kent
Rumble Rumble?!

Have developed a really irritating rumble from the rear suspension. It only occurs at low speeds, sounds like a snooker ball in a Tupperware pot, not a metallic knock!?

Bushes all look good, wheel bearing is new, have cable tied and secured everything I can find inside and out. No play anywhere.

The car passed its MOT in the week with flying colours and whilst up on the ramp, We checked all possibilities and couldn't find anything obvious.

One of the top mounts is rusty, rubber has some splits in it. Is this likely to the culprit? Would it exhibit these symptoms? What do you think?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Have you ruled out the tyres?
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Definitely not tyres, all new.
It's not road speed related. Only happens under 30/40mph then goes away.
Even large bumps over that speed don't cause it .
Had Eibach springs fitted a month or so ago. The offside top mount had failed apparently and I wondered the NS has followed suit. You can see metal showing through the rubber cup which I can only imagine is not a good thing!?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
If you mean a 'squelchy' rattle from the near side rear then a few of us are trying to pin it down. Sometimes sounds like the spare wheel is loose in its mounting but if you get more weight in the back it makes the rattle more 'knocky'.

Mine has had quite a few repairs in the area which always seem to alter the sound but it comes back. I have a new trailing arm, new shocks, new drop links. The only things to do are the top mounts and the top arm. Except the anti roll bar is original and just might be rattling in the mounts. But I've lubricated it without joy.

By the way, an early rattle cured in the mists of time was the silencer. It had stones resting on top filling the space to the heat sheild.

My only concern is why it only affects the near side.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Spoke with the nice folk at Alfa Workshop today who suggested front upper inner wishbone bush. Never thought of inspecting the front but it's plausible! Apparently the slightest bit of play at the front can transmit through the chassis, manifesting as a noise at the rear. The search goes on. Will report what I find.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
rumble