159 2.2 camshaft solenoids - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rewe
  • 1 Post By BuonGiorno

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
159 2.2 camshaft solenoids

Hi guys,

I have some problems with my 159 2.2 JTS as the car is running rather rough idle and engine management light is constantly on. Just read the error codes with OBD diagnostics and got P0010 and P0011. I guess this relates to camshaft intake solenoids which should be changed to cure the problem. Do you agree? Is there any DIY guide/instructions how to change the solenoids? I'm not very familiar with the technical details and therefore asking for your help. Just read some other topics regarding the same issue and got the understanding that those shouldn't be too hard to change.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
Exhaust one. One which is next from two to count from the front of the car.
Wash before replace. 10% chance to survive.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for reply! Is it just that I undo the engine cover and then the solenoids should be next to the spark plugs?
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk
Take the red engine cover off. Standing with your knees against the radiator, the solenoids are to the left. The one closest to you is the inlet and the one closest to the windscreen is the exhaust. There is no need to take the coil pack out to replace them btw.

Unplug the wires, undo the single 10mm nut holding them in an lift out. They have a rubber o ring so you will need to pull hard enough to overcome that. Re fitment is the reverse of the above, clear the codes and hopefully all will be good!
lussoman likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Rewe for good instructions! Will do accordingly when I get the spare parts via Ebay.
AO Silver Member

GM solenoid costs about EUR40, incl. delivery from US.
Not a big money though but why do not you try to wash unit before order a new one???...
Lord_of_beard likes this.
AO Silver Member

Chinese ones cost about 15 and I wouldn't be surprised if the GM ones are not originally supplied from there. They aren't a complicated part and Its not a lot of money to lose if they don't work
AO Silver Member

Actually, I've just checked. 15, free shipping, delivered in less than a week.

It is working perfectly happily alongside the inlet solenoid I paid about 90

Http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB
AO Member

County: Central Macedonia
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Actually, I've just checked. 15, free shipping, delivered in less than a week.

It is working perfectly happily alongside the inlet solenoid I paid about 90

Http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB
How do you wash them? using something special like a chemical or just water?
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 14-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

As a follow-up to my original question, I also ended up ordering the solenoids from China and they were delivered in couple of weeks only. Works perfectly and got rid off the issues mentioned above. Can recommend.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfakombra View Post
How do you wash them? using something special like a chemical or just water?
Wash them out with brake cleaner or petrol.
AO Member

County: Berlin
does this apply all to the 3.2JTS as well (of course, the exhaust cam shafts are 2 and I presume that exhaust ones are most close to the radiator fro the front cylinder bank and the most close to the cabin for the rear cylinder bank)?
AO Member

County: Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash4077 View Post
does this apply all to the 3.2JTS as well (of course, the exhaust cam shafts are 2 and I presume that exhaust ones are most close to the radiator fro the front cylinder bank and the most close to the cabin for the rear cylinder bank)?
I'm not sure, I think the solenoids are a different model; The 3.2 is a fairly different beast from the 1.9 and 2.2 (which are exactly the same engine with some very slight modifications) - for example, it doesn't suffer from the "stretched timing chain" issue due to better oil spray and a double-width chain.

As for cleaning the solenoids I'd recommend petrol, isopropyl alcohol (the pink cleaning stuff that evaporates quickly - might be hard to find in the UK/Ireland) or even just clean engine oil. Never tried with brake fluid, tbh.

One thing I'll be trying in the future is to remove the little metallic "mesh" filters from them; I recently discovered this through an Italian Alfa forum - essentially, it looks like all other makes using the same solenoids (Chevrolet, Buick, Opel) recommend removing these once the engine has done the first 30k km. People who tried the same on the 159 and Brera report a much smoother idle and a more "revvy" engine.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llR4iser View Post
...The 3.2 is a fairly different beast from the 1.9 and 2.2 (which are exactly the same engine with some very slight modifications) - for example, it doesn't suffer from the "stretched timing chain" issue due to better oil spray and a double-width chain...
AO Member

County: Central Macedonia
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llR4iser View Post
I'm not sure, I think the solenoids are a different model; The 3.2 is a fairly different beast from the 1.9 and 2.2 (which are exactly the same engine with some very slight modifications) - for example, it doesn't suffer from the "stretched timing chain" issue due to better oil spray and a double-width chain.

As for cleaning the solenoids I'd recommend petrol, isopropyl alcohol (the pink cleaning stuff that evaporates quickly - might be hard to find in the UK/Ireland) or even just clean engine oil. Never tried with brake fluid, tbh.

One thing I'll be trying in the future is to remove the little metallic "mesh" filters from them; I recently discovered this through an Italian Alfa forum - essentially, it looks like all other makes using the same solenoids (Chevrolet, Buick, Opel) recommend removing these once the engine has done the first 30k km. People who tried the same on the 159 and Brera report a much smoother idle and a more "revvy" engine.
So what we can do is remove them, clean them with petrol and remove the filter?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , camshaft , solenoids