spider 946..to buy or not to buy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By lussoman
  • 1 Post By Top Down
  • 3 Post By Clay19

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 29-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -england
Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Thumbs Up spider 946..to buy or not to buy?

Hi folks..girlfriend is after getting a spider with the 2.2 unit and hopefully a limited edition with the 19" wheels etc...probably year 2008-9 ish.. anything obvious to look out for? I know the timing chain can be an issue.. i currently have a 2.4jtdm Brera so i'm familiar with the basic car albeit a different engine..she doesn't do many miles and hoping to get a low miler which after looking at are quite expensive but well worth it in my opinion..Cheers everyone and TIA....P.S. anybody know of any for sale please let me know...Thanks again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Main thing on a Spider's the roof - most of them play up at some point.
I've been fully opening and closing mine manually for the last year or so due to being fed up with all the little niggles with it.
Timing chain should never be a deal breaker - sub-500 to change it. Mine had it done less than 10k ago.

Mine's a white 2.2 limited edition. Been thinking about selling for the last 3 of the 6 years I've had it, but the roof will probably put most off. I guess I'll have to pay for another re-alignment (it's had 2 already at 300 a pop) before advertising it, that's if I ever get round to moving it on!
Car by the way has 1 previous owner, 49k miles, FSH and tan leather. August '17 MOT.
I'm not sure what they go for privately, but they're a pittance as a part-ex or WBAC.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020400.jpg (118.0 KB, 15 views)
Top Down and bezberry like this.

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.

Last edited by lussoman; 29-09-16 at 19:43. Reason: Picture added
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
SWMBO drives ours and she would not be parted with it. Yes there have been a couple of roof issues but nothing like lussoman has suffered, but then we have a genius who sorts it out each time. We have driven it to Italy and back and toured in France with it. It still hasnt had a timing chain calling, which I call a service item, my Brera has had one. This is ours:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSF0655_zpsb0683a1f.jpg (107.3 KB, 17 views)

AO Member

County: Greater London
If you can, I'd definitely say do it!

I'd be quite keen on one myself, but they go for a premium compared to say a 159, and it's always going to be more work to find a good example.

What's it like to drive? I presume it's heavy for a two door open-top, as the engine and stats are always the same as its cousins.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhand View Post
If you can, I'd definitely say do it!

I'd be quite keen on one myself, but they go for a premium compared to say a 159, and it's always going to be more work to find a good example.

What's it like to drive? I presume it's heavy for a two door open-top, as the engine and stats are always the same as its cousins.
The 2.2 'feels' quicker than my old 2.0 GTV, certainly through the gears. On paper that seems not to be the case.
More at home cruising long straights than on the twisty bits, far from the best handling car I've had.
AO Silver Member

Off the line the 2.2 is not quick, on the road it handles quite well, get into a rhythm and it is rewarding. I have driven both the Spider and the Brera (much the same) through snaking alpine passes in France and Italy and had lots of fun. OK, if you want something really quick round the twisty bits get a Lotus Elise.

As my esteemed fellow forum member LM says, they are more a cruiser than an out an out sports car, even so the lighter weight you have with the 2.2 can provide a lot of fun.
lussoman likes this.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm
AO Member

County: -
Alfa Romeos are about how they make you feel when you drive one because they are special cars. And the spider has to be at the very top on the pile on a good day with epic views with the roof down, providing it doesn't have the Diesel engines under the bonnet, right guys?
lussoman, A_Venables and Top Down like this.
AO Member

If you are tempted then you already like the looks, design etc. Go for it and I'm sure you will enjoy it. We have the 2.2 and it's ideal for cruising around, not the fastest off the line but that's not the point. Have had roof issues but were easily and cheaply resolved after a bit of research ( I posted the issues and solution on here somewhere) Had a great roadtrip to France,Italy and Switzerland with the roof down all the way,loved it. Now is a good time to buy a convertible too.
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 30-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Cheers everyone.. I had a twin spark Spider years ago and had no end of trouble with the power hood..kept a toffee hammer handy to give it a technical tap to loosen the mechanism when it stuck!...hood motor was around 900!!!!!!
AO Member

County: Notts-
Garage
Buy it !

We recently got a black 2.2 LE and had the following mods done... re map, BMC performance air filter and custom SS exhaust.
Now goes and sounds like an Alfa should, absolutely love the car and so does everyone else who sees / hears it.

It has some niggles ie scuttle shake over bumpy roads and roof has thrown up a temporary error message a few times but overall worth it.

Good examples of these cars seem to be holding their value well.

FYI a few years ago we had a Merc SLK Kompressor from new and had no end of problems... Roof failures, electric problems, clutch pedal totally exploded and parts fell into footwell, rust, rattles and squeeks and boring to drive, I dont want to think about how much money we lost when we sold it. In my opinion a good low mileage Spider with full service history will be a a very good buy not to mention great fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side140916.jpg (63.2 KB, 14 views)
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Brera and GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navlet View Post
Buy it !

We recently got a black 2.2 LE and had the following mods done... re map, BMC performance air filter and custom SS exhaust.
Now goes and sounds like an Alfa should, absolutely love the car and so does everyone else who sees / hears it.

It has some niggles ie scuttle shake over bumpy roads and roof has thrown up a temporary error message a few times but overall worth it.

FYI a few years ago we had a Merc SLK Kompressor from new and had no end of problems... Roof failures, electric problems, clutch pedal totally exploded and parts fell into footwell, rust, rattles and squeeks and boring to drive, I dont want to think about how much money we lost when we sold it. In my opinion a good low mileage Spider with full service history will be a a very good buy not to mention great fun.
That's the spec we want...beautiful!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Don't do it...... now, wait a couple of months, prices for drop tops always come down a little in the winter.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navlet View Post
Buy it !

How about, no room behind the driver/passenger seat, little room in the boot with the tin top folded and when I passengered in my SIL's SLK, there seemed to be little leg room for even me at 5' 8".

PS, the 939 scuttle shake is hardly worth a mention, you clearly have never driven a SAAB convertible.
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
As said as long as you accept it is more for cruising than a sporty ride you'll like it just fine behind the wheel. Although with that said it still goes when it wants to and handles quite good for what it is so you can still have some fun like that if the mood takes you. Main thing about this car is the looks, for the money it's incredible how it turns heads more than cars that are 2,3 times or more of what it costs to buy a nice one at the moment.

As much as I like mine and enjoyed the time I have with it, I am planning to sell it but not until next year though most likely, I wish you luck on your search.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
946to , buy , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page