Buying a Spider, Should I worry about the brakes? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Buying a Spider, Should I worry about the brakes?

I only started driving a little over a year ago and being as I'm in my early 30's I went for a sensible 1.9 GT, love it but as it was my first car I knew I had a risk of bumps and scrapes as I got my road legs. She's done me a good 20K but has also done over 180K total now and I've done so much work to it and it needs more, I figured the amount I'm spending may as well get a car with fewer miles and hopefully fewer niggles and wear to fix!
I took a lovely 939 Spider out for a test drive
yesterday and all was well except for a couple of times like approaching a roundabout pressing the brakes didn't seem to do too much, Even when depressing the pedal almost to the floor. I figured it probably needs new pads or flushing through or something, that is until I read Hunters saga. It's a 57 plate 2.4 with 56K on the clock and in stunning condition with fsh, could it just be in need of a brake service or could it be the Brake master cylinder problem?

The place I'm getting it from will provide a warranty and said they'd do a full check and new mot valet, all the usual, should I or shouldn't I??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heino View Post
I only started driving a little over a year ago and being as I'm in my early 30's I went for a sensible 1.9 GT, love it but as it was my first car I knew I had a risk of bumps and scrapes as I got my road legs. She's done me a good 20K but has also done over 180K total now and I've done so much work to it and it needs more, I figured the amount I'm spending may as well get a car with fewer miles and hopefully fewer niggles and wear to fix!
I took a lovely 939 Spider out for a test drive
yesterday and all was well except for a couple of times like approaching a roundabout pressing the brakes didn't seem to do too much, Even when depressing the pedal almost to the floor. I figured it probably needs new pads or flushing through or something, that is until I read Hunters saga. It's a 57 plate 2.4 with 56K on the clock and in stunning condition with fsh, could it just be in need of a brake service or could it be the Brake master cylinder problem?

The place I'm getting it from will provide a warranty and said they'd do a full check and new mot valet, all the usual, should I or shouldn't I??
I would suggest if you want the car but have this niggle about the brakes, get one of those AA used car check things. If the brakes all check out in terms of function but just need new pads or discs then that's ok - albeit added expense. Or you can ask (quite legitimately) that you have an independant garage you trust look it over before you commit to buy.

If eveything is fine but you just dont feel the brakes have enough bite/force to them then upgrade the pads to Performance Friction and be prepared to part with your face if you stomp hard enough - I've done just that and it brakes like it always should have now

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
There is something wrong with those brakes. Spider brakes are b****y good!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brakes , buying , spider , worry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page