Whirring noise at speed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Whirring noise at speed

Hello, I sold my GT yesterday after many happy years together and picked up a low mile, very good condition 2.2. I am driving 18" Kumho Ecsta on each corner with tread and at correct pressure. I noticed that once I hit 60mph and higher I have a whirring sound that appears to be from the rear. When I decrease speed it vanishes. Any ideas? Wheel alignment? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -kent
If it's a humming sound which increase/decreases with speed then it's likely a wheel bearing. Changed one of mine last week.
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSmokey159 View Post
If it's a humming sound which increase/decreases with speed then it's likely a wheel bearing. Changed one of mine last week.
+1

Had that sort of noise on the front. There are videos you can look up YouTube that give video/sound of worn out bearings.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks, I was fearing a gearbox issue can you give me an approx cost of getting it fixed with part?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Not sure about the back. Front was 150 for the part and 100 to fit. Approximately.

(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
Not sure about the back. Front was 150 for the part and 100 to fit. Approximately.

Many thanks. Just popped out for a quick spin and can confirm that noise does not change if I turn the steering. Also it remains constant if I take it out of gear which I hope negates the gearbox worry and puts it firmly in the bearing camp?
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

When driving, listen to hear if the whirring gets louder when going around a corner.

Louder when turning left (constant speed above 30 mph) is the right bearing and vice versa.

This is the case if it's at the front.

Not sure about what happens at the rear.

AO Member

County: -kent
Jack the back of the car up so both wheels are off the ground.
Spin each wheel whilst holding the coil Spring. The bad bearing will vibrate/reverberate through the spring.

Changing the bearing is a very easy job to do if you fancy doing it yourself.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
A word of caution before you dash out and spend loads of dosh on bearings, I run a 2.4 Brera with Bridgestones on each corner. While travelling down the A28 to LeMans at speed I got a similar noise, bugger thought I, wheel bearing failed, I slowed down to <>90 and the noise reduced kind of confirming my diagnosis, but then slitting off the Motorway just south of LeMans noise disappears. My message is try your speed test on a different road if you already haven't. The Bridgestones seem to be very noisy and I am guessing that the road surface just made it worse.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 25-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philjay50 View Post
A word of caution before you dash out and spend loads of dosh on bearings, I run a 2.4 Brera with Bridgestones on each corner. While travelling down the A28 to LeMans at speed I got a similar noise, bugger thought I, wheel bearing failed, I slowed down to <>90 and the noise reduced kind of confirming my diagnosis, but then slitting off the Motorway just south of LeMans noise disappears. My message is try your speed test on a different road if you already haven't. The Bridgestones seem to be very noisy and I am guessing that the road surface just made it worse.
I will. I notice that as I approach 60 the whirring starts, similar to a dynamo revving up. If I push it further then noise remains but is less so. On the GT I originally had P Zeros which were harsh and loud, subsequently moved to Goodyear F1s which were far better in every respect. I will take car to tyre place next week.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera 3.2 S

It might sound daft, but try switching off climate control, I get a loud whirring noise and it turned out to be the climate control fan
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 25-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebrera View Post
It might sound daft, but try switching off climate control, I get a loud whirring noise and it turned out to be the climate control fan
First thing I did but no cigar. Tyres, alignment, bearing are all ok - gearbox and diff issues start bringing out other emotions.....
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffinatoa View Post
Thanks, I was fearing a gearbox issue can you give me an approx cost of getting it fixed with part?
Is it making the noise just in 6th gear?
That said if it was the gearbox the noise would be coming from the front passenger side not the rear.
AO Member

County: Bielsko-Biala
Garage
I had 18" Kumho Ecsta SPT in my 159 (tyres bought used in spring this year with 18" horeshoe alloys). They were bit too noisy, and annoyed me a bit all the time. They also around 80km/h (50mph) could cause kind of slight vibrations and loutder noise which disappered when I bit only changed the speed. It turned that although they had plenty of thread (like 7mm), 2 of them (ones I put on back) had heel-toe thread - probably previous user had someting wrong with dampers or other car issues and damaged the thread that way. I changd them to GY F1 Assy 2 months ago, and now it is quiet. In my case on corners/roundabouts they got louder - thats why I thought first it is bearing noise, but when I lifted the car, I could not feel any problm with barings, and then realized it was heel-toe thread but in my case was mainly at outer side of tyre only.
It is quite easy to check with closing eyes and sliding your hand both directins through thread (easiest if you have wheels demounted, but possible if you have them on the car). If you feel one direction goes harder and feel steps, and other goes smoothly, then it means rather heel-toe damage of tire. The problem with Kumho Escta SPT is that it is directional tyre and not much can be done to repair it. If it was assymetric tyre, it would be possible to swap left with right wheel, and try to cut the heel-toes by just driving say for another 1-2k miles (so the heel toe attacks the road surface and gets lowered over time).
(Post Link) post #15 of 15 Old 01-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsonix View Post
I had 18" Kumho Ecsta SPT in my 159 (tyres bought used in spring this year with 18" horeshoe alloys). They were bit too noisy, and annoyed me a bit all the time. They also around 80km/h (50mph) could cause kind of slight vibrations and loutder noise which disappered when I bit only changed the speed. It turned that although they had plenty of thread (like 7mm), 2 of them (ones I put on back) had heel-toe thread - probably previous user had someting wrong with dampers or other car issues and damaged the thread that way. I changd them to GY F1 Assy 2 months ago, and now it is quiet. In my case on corners/roundabouts they got louder - thats why I thought first it is bearing noise, but when I lifted the car, I could not feel any problm with barings, and then realized it was heel-toe thread but in my case was mainly at outer side of tyre only.
It is quite easy to check with closing eyes and sliding your hand both directins through thread (easiest if you have wheels demounted, but possible if you have them on the car). If you feel one direction goes harder and feel steps, and other goes smoothly, then it means rather heel-toe damage of tire. The problem with Kumho Escta SPT is that it is directional tyre and not much can be done to repair it. If it was assymetric tyre, it would be possible to swap left with right wheel, and try to cut the heel-toes by just driving say for another 1-2k miles (so the heel toe attacks the road surface and gets lowered over time).
Thanks for this. I've been away all week hence no reply. Took car to garage yesterday and it wasn't bearings. Rear tyres moved forward but unsure if it's coming from the front now. No other reason why the noise is there comes to mind. Back to garage this morning though don't want to buy two new tyres only to find out the noise remains. Stumped for ideas.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
noise , speed , whirring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page