big clunk, a rattle under the car and then alot of squeaking when braking.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
big clunk, a rattle under the car and then alot of squeaking when braking....

So.....in an (I think successful) effort to fully bed in my new performance friction pads on my new brembo discs, I finally managed on the motorway this evening to get the brakes up to a decent temperature and use them in an exuberant and gratuitous manner. By braking very firmly from somewhere far north of how fast I should have been driving.

So....that all went reasonably well in so much as the brakes now at least feel more balanced, lets hope it stays balanced :P.

However, during one of my run when I jumped on the brakes I heard a large clunk and then what sounded like if you were to run over a large pebble and hear it rattling under the car on its way out from your wheel arch. After this I now get a very audible and slightly alarming squeaky groaning sound coming from somewhere underneath the car - I cant pinpoint forward or back, I think maybe on the offside but I can't tell.

The car feels fine I think, except for the awful sound when I apply the brakes firmly. Doesn't happen with gentle braking.

Got home and there is no sqeaking or anything if I rock or push down on any of the car's corners.

I fear it could be a cracked spring possibly? I don't know...I'll have to have a better look in the daylight.

Anybody any ideas or things I should definitely check/test/wiggle/curse?

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Stirling
You say it only happens when you press the brake so I would be taking the wheels of and checking the brakes...
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 23-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito_No3 View Post
You say it only happens when you press the brake so I would be taking the wheels of and checking the brakes...
yeh, but it feels/sounds like the cause of the squeak isn't so much the braking itself, so much as the weight being transferred forward...doesn't happen with mild braking...only get it when the nose dips. Will have the wheels off tomorrow and have a good nosey.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Check that one of the pads hasn't failed. It might be that the friction material has detached from the backing plate and been thrown out from the caliper.

Not sure how likely that is to happen on a new pad, but I have had older pads where it has happened.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
check front springs, i had one snap on me shortly after purchasing, heard an alarming *THUD* and a twang like a large spring settling, turned out to be the NSF spring had let go.

as for squeak/groan when weight transfer happens... lower wishbone ball joint?
its how the wifes started, now any 'spirited' drive results in the dreaded squak/groan from both sides parts are in the boot of the coupe ruining my MPG as the alfa is strictly hers. im just waiting for a day i can get spare to do springs and bottom arms.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
This could be a broken disc. I've seen a car fresh out of repair where the driver tried to accelerate the bedding in process (despite our 100 mile rule). The uneven temperature climb caused a crack.

All of our brake repairs are Pads/Discs/Bleed (with cylinders pushed right back to flush fluid at the back of the pads). By the way a cracked disc would probably mean a temperature in excess of 850c which happens more often than you would believe.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
This could be a broken disc. I've seen a car fresh out of repair where the driver tried to accelerate the bedding in process (despite our 100 mile rule). The uneven temperature climb caused a crack.

All of our brake repairs are Pads/Discs/Bleed (with cylinders pushed right back to flush fluid at the back of the pads). By the way a cracked disc would probably mean a temperature in excess of 850c which happens more often than you would believe.
I drove the first 400 odd miles in the usual bedding in mode,and in any case the m6 rarely gives the option for anything else!

I had both wheels off this morning to have a good poke around all seems to be in order...nothing creaking or wobbling or missing that I can see.

my brake unbalance issue is now gone, so I assume fully bedded in. Just the creaking now when the weight goes forward on the nose. gentle and even moderate braking doesnt do it...only hard baking with and without abs cutting in.

I might systematically spray the bejesus out of each bush in their with some silicon lube spray and see if there is any temporary respite...that will pinpoint the problem for me hopefully if it is just another bush.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
alot , big , braking , car , clunk , rattle , squeaking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page