An annoying clutch peddle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BuonGiorno
  • 1 Post By finalfisti

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Q4

An annoying clutch peddle

My clutch peddle seems to be getting stuck when fully depressed it won't spring back straight away and just pauses for a bit now the funny thing is it seems to an intermittent thing car was fine, then sticky clutch strikes half way through journey then it's all back to normal.

This has happened twice now so I know it's a problem question is how serious ? I'm guessing it's something to do with the spring mechanism on the peddle or is it hydrolic ?

Having just come back from a service I'm loath to go back the garage again......

Anyone else had this experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Mines does this too. I've got in a habit of checking the pedal is up to the top by catching the side of it with my shoe.
AO Member

County: kent
I know its sounds stupid... But have you got mats? If so Make sure they not in the way...

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Mine does this, often occurs on a morning after the car has been stood overnight. I've heard a few owners complain of the same.
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

It's a very common issue. Replacing the master cylinder seems to fix it, though not every time I understand.

Carpets are definitely one to check.

Master cylinders are about 100 and if you're so minded, can be done yourself.

It could be you slave cylinder, but from what you describe - and what I know of those symptoms - It doesn't sound likely.

Others with more experience will confirm/correct me I'm sure.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #6 of 16 Old 22-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorek View Post
I know its sounds stupid... But have you got mats? If so Make sure they not in the way...
First time I thought it was the mat, but second time i pulled the mat back and the symptoms persisted for a few gear changes before disappearing.

Mats are permanently pinned back now so if it happens again will know somethings up for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
It's a very common issue. Replacing the master cylinder seems to fix it, though not every time I understand.

Carpets are definitely one to check.

Master cylinders are about 100 and if you're so minded, can be done yourself.

It could be you slave cylinder, but from what you describe - and what I know of those symptoms - It doesn't sound likely.

Others with more experience will confirm/correct me I'm sure.

Good to know this, it's only happened twice so far but will keep and eye and if it happens once more will look to get the cylinder replaced.
AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter RM View Post
First time I thought it was the mat, but second time i pulled the mat back and the symptoms persisted for a few gear changes before disappearing.

Mats are permanently pinned back now so if it happens again will know somethings up for sure

Good to know this, it's only happened twice so far but will keep and eye and if it happens once more will look to get the cylinder replaced.
It's a long shot, but try bleeding your clutch. It's tricky to get it right (so I get my mechanic to do it) but that could help.

Having said that, my problem with the pedal comes and goes. I keep promising myself I'll replace the master cylinder.

Still haven't got round to it....

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
You'll also find this well debated in the 156 forum because of a broken spring in the master cylinder.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Firstly fit a bleed kit to your slave cylinder and bleed some new fluid through a little, see if that stops it. If not the clutch master cylinders on the 159s are easy to replace yourself and cost 75, they are behind the pedal and only held on by 2 10mm bolts/nuts, remove the bulkhead insert from the new one and re-use your old one to save time, the tricky bit is bleeding the fluid out of the clutch system and not getting fluid on your carpet.

Last edited by davebem; 22-09-16 at 12:50.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
Firstly it is essential to check fluid level in the tank under the bonnet.
If it is low it affects clutch first.
Norph likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
New master cylinder did not cure this on my wife's car. 5 years later it is the same.
AO Member

County: kent
So how you driving with that fault? My car done it once but I was pretty sure that was because of floor mat... Doooh I'm bit worried now.... I've done about 120 miles since I bought my Brera (and before it broke up) and already found couple faults, which seems like common... I thought that 159/breras are better built than 156 (had it over a year and no single fault)
AO Member

County: -
New master cylinder cured it on my 159
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Mine does it first thing in the morning. I often have to put my toe under it and pull it all the way back up. It does not do it again until the following day, but nearly always. I think on one occasion when not at home and soon on a fast road I noted the cruise did not work. It registered the clutch as being depressed I guess.

I do have annoying mats that get caught between the clutch pedal and my foot too.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

The damn mats almost got me into a crash one week into ownership - that's how I learned my lesson.

Since then, I simple have some sticky rubber mats underneath the real mats (the same that you have under regular carpets on slippery wooden floors) - problem solved so far. At some point I even considered screwing the mats with screws to the floor, but luckily this rubber mat trick works fine for now.
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 23-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 Q4

A real wealth of info cheers dudes, it's not happened again yet but at least I'll have a good idea of what to do should the problem appear again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
annoying , clutch , peddle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page