car pulls to the right under braking - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

AO Member

County: United Kingdom
Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Provided the load rating is 96 or above, you should be ok.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #27 of 43 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Herefordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
Provided the load rating is 96 or above, you should be ok.

yeh they are, 235/45R18 98Y XL
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
yeh they are, 235/45R18 98Y XL
OOOps, sorry, I thought you was running on 19's. It's just the 19s that has a Jag specific
Larry92 likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
After the basics I'd look at the nearside rear caliper. It's quite easy to jam the pistons by exerting to much force when you wind them back in the caliper. The pedal will also sink further when the piston is stuck this far in. The garage will need to check that the piston is moving on this caliper. A quick visual with the wheel off will also show a gap on this side.
(Post Link) post #30 of 43 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
After the basics I'd look at the nearside rear caliper. It's quite easy to jam the pistons by exerting to much force when you wind them back in the caliper. The pedal will also sink further when the piston is stuck this far in. The garage will need to check that the piston is moving on this caliper. A quick visual with the wheel off will also show a gap on this side.
cheers old engineer. I have to admit my first thought when it happened was it might be the offside rear binding harder / nearside rear not binding enough as the diving to the right motion felt like a rotation about the rear offside wheel....might swing it by a garage this pm and ask them to check the calipers are all gripping correctly
(Post Link) post #31 of 43 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

popped into Kwik Fit and they did a brake efficiency test or whatever it's called.

recorded brake force as follows:

NSF / OSF.......392kgf / 435kgf
NSR / OSR......263kgf / 284kgf

so as you can see the OS brakes are producing 43kgf more at the front and 21kgf more at the rear.....not surprising that the car is pulling to the right under braking.

I shall hopefully get a chance to hammer the brakes a bit on friday evening when I drive south for the weekend, see if that cures it, but otherwise pop back to the garage that fitted the new bits and get it sorted. Bit of a faff but these things happen

'08 159 Lusso 2.4JTDm Q-Tronic Sportwagon
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Quote:
popped into Kwik Fit and they did a brake efficiency test or whatever it's called.

so as you can see the OS brakes are producing 43kgf more at the front and 21kgf more at the rear.....not surprising that the car is pulling to the right under braking.

I shall hopefully get a chance to hammer the brakes a bit on friday evening when I drive south for the weekend, see if that cures it, but otherwise pop back to the garage that fitted the new bits and get it sorted. Bit of a faff but these things happen
Would you mind if I asked how much they charged to do this? I'm interested in having something similar done myself. I've got a very slight pull to the left under braking.
(Post Link) post #33 of 43 Old 22-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Jess View Post
Would you mind if I asked how much they charged to do this? I'm interested in having something similar done myself. I've got a very slight pull to the left under braking.
free - they just waved their hand about when I asked how much. Only took about 2 minutes

National tyres also advertise free brake checks I think I saw

Last edited by Larry92; 22-09-16 at 07:35.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:

That's not enough difference to notice. The weight of the driver on the OS can trigger that difference by itself. Remember that brake efficiency tests are really tyre grip tests at the upper limit. They're only interesting at lower inputs where the tyre grip isn't a factor.

You need to look at the suspension or steering bits if the car pulls under braking, possibly alignment as the weight transfer can make a front tyre more dominant for the direction of travel than it is when just driving.
(Post Link) post #35 of 43 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Thanks everyone for your advice...I had a chance on the drive south last night to really hammer the brakes alot and repeatedly as is the suggested method for these performance friction pads....and I think I've more or less cured it....perhaps one of the pads on the nearside hadn't fully bedded in yet or something. But I got them all really hot and worked hard and they seem pretty much fine now.

Now I need to diagnose a very significant squeak from the front end when the weight leans on it. perhaps a lower arm bush or something equally pesky....
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

I may have missed this, but what's the age/mileage?

(Post Link) post #37 of 43 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

2008 and 91.5k miles
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Squeak will be the upper wishbone either side of the spring. Get some spray lubricant in there and see if it modifies/removes the squeak. Once dirt has got in there this may give only temporary respite.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Mine had the wishbones replaced before I bought mine at 68k (2008).

My understanding is the 2.4 does have an appetite for wishbones due to the additional mass.

(Post Link) post #40 of 43 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

yep funny you should say that.....at the same time I had the breaks doing I had the NS upper wishbone replaced (for the second time in 4 months because the first garage cheaped on the part) because it was really squeaky.

I cant hear anything when I rock or bounce the car but hopefully that's all it is. Might try and do it myself this time round when I have a saturday and no need for the car for a while in case i screw it up :P
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

159 SW Ti 2.4

Quote:
yep funny you should say that.....at the same time I had the breaks doing I had the NS upper wishbone replaced (for the second time in 4 months because the first garage cheaped on the part) because it was really squeaky.

I cant hear anything when I rock or bounce the car but hopefully that's all it is. Might try and do it myself this time round when I have a saturday and no need for the car for a while in case i screw it up :P
If you can, powerflex it!

(Post Link) post #42 of 43 Old 24-09-16 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norph View Post
If you can, powerflex it!

I'd consider it for the lower arms, but not a chance am I powerflexing my upper arms with all the faffing and squeaky and regreasing and nonsense others seem to have to put up with haha
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage
Quote:
free - they just waved their hand about when I asked how much. Only took about 2 minutes

National tyres also advertise free brake checks I think I saw
Amazing. Especially for the oft-slandered Kwik Fit!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
braking , car , pulls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page