2007 159 1.9 JTDM Poor Starting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

County: Oxfordshire
2007 159 1.9 JTDM Poor HOT (now cold) Starting problem

Morning All,

My 2007 159 1.9 JTDm has a problem starting, to tell the story in full the car broke down and failed to start a week ago, AA diagnosed starter motor failure as it clicks to engage but did not crank. I had no signs that it was failing, it just left me in a car park one evening.

Anyway I've now fitted a new starter and it cranks it but it's really bad at starting, I have to press the accelerator and hold the start button until it picks up over 1krpm. If I don't do these things it just cranks over, splutters and fires a bit but then stalls. This is why I have to hold the start button longer to keep it turning past the initial firing and pressing the throttle helps once it's turning to pick up the revs so it'll actually idle.

There are no fault codes, and the issue is the same on cold start or re-starting with a hot engine.

I changed the starter myself and that was a pig of a job, I've tried to check if I may have dislodged something or failed to connect something back up.

I'm checking with the supplier of the starter to ensure I got the correct one. EGR is blanked off and no DPF. The engine runs fine when it's going and idles as it should it's just a pig to start at the moment.

I don't think it's glow plug related as the issue is the same regardless of engine temp. I'm really stumped as to what it can be and it's getting quite embarrassing having to attempt to start the car 3 or 4 times in some instances, for example it did it 3 times over the weekend, at the tip and at the fuel station, only stopped for minutes but unless it catches the first time and I hold the starter engaged to keep it turning and then a bit of throttle to get it to idle.

Any help advice appreciated, the battery was new less than a year ago and is a Bosch S4 so not a cheap one, it also proceeds to crank the engine 4-5 times repeatedly with no sign of slowing, but i'll consider anything at this point.

Last edited by jwpalfrey; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:11. Reason: Update title to actual issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kyiv
Garage
Had same story on my 159.
In my case it was bad injector. It do not ingect needed quantity of fuel on starting revs (on low fuel pressure).
Fixed with injector cleaning and tuning.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Also check the fuel pressure and fuel pump in the fuel tank, I had some issues that were similar with starting, once it started it was fine.

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter

Ok, an update. It seems that the starter motor (new one) has burnt out or gone faulty as after a week of use I now have the same problem I had initially.

Put key in, ignition on press start, and just "click". No lights dimming on the dash or warnings, just a click from the starter solenoid.

Have I just replaced the starter motor which has been burnt out by another faulty part? Is there another relay I need to check.

I'm kinda stumped now.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Brera 2.4

Have you checked the engine earths, on the 1.9 it goes from a bell housing bolt to under the battery, a quick check is to put a jump lead from the battery negative to somewher metal on the engine, if it then cranks fine then thats the problem.
I had the cable snap on my car years ago so I fitted one from where the battery negative bolt to the engine lifting eye and its still there now.
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 22-09-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
Have you checked the engine earths, on the 1.9 it goes from a bell housing bolt to under the battery, a quick check is to put a jump lead from the battery negative to somewher metal on the engine, if it then cranks fine then thats the problem.
I had the cable snap on my car years ago so I fitted one from where the battery negative bolt to the engine lifting eye and its still there now.
Thanks, yes I did do a search and found this is a problem but we used two jump cables to link the engine to the body and that didn't help. I'll check the cable anyway as it could be part of the problem.
We eventually got it going by giving the starter motor a smack with a large spanner while attempting to start. I'm now thinking my ring gear may be worn and thus the solenoid cannot engage the sprocket. The car has done 143k miles.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter

Ok. Update to the issue.

I've since cleaned up the earth cable connections and not had any cranking issues since.

However the issue now seems to creep back of HOT starting. This is such that from cold the car starts fine, no issues. However. I stop at the shops, engine at operating temp, try to re-start after 10 mins and it really struggles, to the extent I have to press the accelerator or else I'll never get it going after 3-4 attempts.

As I say the car performs fine driving and on cold starting, I've read this could be a dodgy crank sensor? I'll check the fault codes again when I get home but so far I've not had any.

Where is the fuel pressure sensor? Is it on the end of the rail? and where is the crank sensor? Apparently they are easy to change and in expensive, so I think i'll change it.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpalfrey View Post
Ok. Update to the issue.

I've since cleaned up the earth cable connections and not had any cranking issues since.

However the issue now seems to creep back of HOT starting. This is such that from cold the car starts fine, no issues. However. I stop at the shops, engine at operating temp, try to re-start after 10 mins and it really struggles, to the extent I have to press the accelerator or else I'll never get it going after 3-4 attempts.

As I say the car performs fine driving and on cold starting, I've read this could be a dodgy crank sensor? I'll check the fault codes again when I get home but so far I've not had any.

Where is the fuel pressure sensor? Is it on the end of the rail? and where is the crank sensor? Apparently they are easy to change and in expensive, so I think i'll change it.
Try cleaning the MAP sensor, and also check the MAF sensor is not on it's way out (disconnect it and see if the problem persists). When the engine is cold it uses default settings for fueling etc, when hot, it uses the sensors.
Also check the usual: EGR, DPF etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

One quick test you may try: have you got the same voltage on both sides of the battery cut off switch when it is not turning over? There should be.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi all, thanks for the replies. So to update you all again. I've since changed the crank sensor and I thought that was it. Ran fine for 2 weeks, did 700 miles or so not a problem. On the button starting every time.

I've since bought a new car and put the Alfa up for sale and now it seems to have returned to a cold starting problem.

Very annoying as I've had buyers turned away as the car is temperamental to start. So the sale is on hold until I find the problem (or flog it cheap as spares/repair).

So the problem now seems to have returned where the engine cranks over but only seems to start if you press the throttle slightly on startup so that when it catches it runs as opposed to fires a bit but then just keeps cranking on the starter.

Very odd. With regards to EGR and DPF the car has no DPF and the EGR is blocked off with an emulator harness. When the car runs it's fine and i've taken it for a couple of runs and it starts fine from warm now.

I'm going to give the engine a good once over tonight to check for anything which looks odd and try and hone down the symptoms some more.

so far the car has had:
- Earth strap to body from gearbox checked and contacts cleaned up
- Battery is charged
- New starter motor
- New Crankshaft sensor

I'm a little at a loss now of what the problem may be. However I'll keep pressing on to find the issue.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 2007 , jtdm , poor , starting