Brera, power steering gone - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)
Brera, power steering gone

So I had a problem with my 2.2 Brera today - as I was parking it, power steering disappeared. (also it felt like the steering wheel went really lumpy, but it might have been the rough surface)

So I suspect power steering pump, but:

-There is no noise
-Fluid level is same, no leaks visible
-Seemed to be no movement of fluid when power steering reservoir's cap removed, should it even be visible?
-Have had this same issue happen to me two times last year, but after couple of seconds it rectified itself (really odd I think)

So actually my question is: Would it be OK to drive to the garage, it is only 3 km/2 miles away or I need to get it towed, what do you think? Is there anything that could be damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

So with the engine cold, my power steering came back. There was some bubbling initially inside fluid tank, but after turning the wheel lock to lock it is normal now.

Only issue is, when turning the steering to full lock, power steering pump stalls and belt starts slipping.

Maybe something is clogged up and the pump is fine after all, at least I am able to drive to the garage.

Last edited by ocvatorium; 16-09-16 at 13:18.
AO Silver Member

weird this, my power steering went this morning and i got smoke and slipping belt on the air con pump

i switched of the air con and the power steering came back enough so i could reverse back on the drive, but clearly something has seized or the aux belt has come loose

off to the garage on a low loader
AO Member

County: Queensland
Ok, there is a initial design flaw in the Power steering of 159/Breras. There is a fault with the filter built into the steering reservoirs that can call all sorts of problems, from bubbling, loud whining to system failure. There is also a requirement to flush and change the P/Steer fluid from the old red spec to the new Green spec fluid.

So to anyone having problems with the power steering you need to get a new Upgraded power steering fluid reservoir and flush out the old GI/A Power steering fluid (red) and replace with the new GI-R Power steering fluid. The system will need to be bled of air too, which is a simple process.

Patty - 2004 Alfa 156 2.0JTS Sportwagon

Ruby - 2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed with Sports Pack
(Eibach 2.5 Lowering Springs)
(Bilstein Sports Dampers )
AO Silver Member

well my PS fluid isnt really red, but it isnt green. I did ask an alfa expert about the fluid and it was checked and pronounced ok.

anyway to late now, the aux belt has jumped off its pulleys so its low loader time
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzbazz View Post
Ok, there is a initial design flaw in the Power steering of 159/Breras. There is a fault with the filter built into the steering reservoirs that can call all sorts of problems, from bubbling, loud whining to system failure. There is also a requirement to flush and change the P/Steer fluid from the old red spec to the new Green spec fluid.

So to anyone having problems with the power steering you need to get a new Upgraded power steering fluid reservoir and flush out the old GI/A Power steering fluid (red) and replace with the new GI-R Power steering fluid. The system will need to be bled of air too, which is a simple process.
I know about this filter problem, just never heard it making the whole system inoperable, usually bubbling and whining and so on. If it was really clogged up, that would explain some symptoms. I also had red fluid in the system.

Anyway, drove to the garage this morning and it was perfectly fine, no problems with steering.
AO Member

County: kent
Hi everyone! Recently I bought Brera 2.4 jtdm, and on the way home after buying power steering gone completely. Belt is still in place, and there's no bubbling or any sort of fluid movement in reservoir... Is this may be caused by reservoir or rather PAS pump itself? If it's pump where is best place to get new one and how much I looking to spend? Car is in garage now and tomorrow they will be looking at it. Thanks!
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorek View Post
Hi everyone! Recently I bought Brera 2.4 jtdm, and on the way home after buying power steering gone completely. Belt is still in place, and there's no bubbling or any sort of fluid movement in reservoir... Is this may be caused by reservoir or rather PAS pump itself? If it's pump where is best place to get new one and how much I looking to spend? Car is in garage now and tomorrow they will be looking at it. Thanks!
Seems like exactly the same problem as mine. Please let us know if you have diagnosed yours!

So news from garage are: They didn't find anything wrong with my power steering system, they even didn't chance the fluid! The mechanic said the fluid reservoir is fine and they know about the usual filter problem. Don't know how they even found that out without taking the system apart...

Picked the car up. They said it wasn't the filter because it would clog up and come loose. And there is nothing they could do other than just throwing parts at it.

Last edited by ocvatorium; 20-09-16 at 14:26.
AO Member

County: kent
I certainly will. Do you know what is best place to get PAS pump if mine is faulty? Thanks
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boorek View Post
I certainly will. Do you know what is best place to get PAS pump if mine is faulty? Thanks
It depends where you are from of course. But I have had great deals ordering Brera parts online. Just find out the exact part number needed and google it. For example I have ordered from: Ebay, Amazon, www.dgjauto.fr , http://www.original-genuine-spare-parts.com .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , power , steering