brera buying advice for a GT owner... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
brera buying advice for a GT owner...

so , went to test drive my umpteenth Brera, and yet again disappointed by the experience...

the car is beaitiful ,no doubt of that..but all the ones I have tried seem to be vague in the handling stakes and lack oomph and acceleration..only the 2.4 was torquey enough but I don't want another diesel. and my next job may include lots of short journeys in London.

my problem is this, after modding the hell out of my GT it is an swesome machine, but it's diesel and I want to go back to a petrol car as my mileage is low now..another GT is out of the question as it would be my 3rd..I would like a change. and frankly if I work in london 240 BHP and chocolate suspension is far from ideal...not to mention the heavy GT clutch .despite new master and slave cylinders and recent clutch and flywheel.

I love the idea of the 2.2 as economy would be good, no EGR, DPF and swirl flaps to delete, but its just to slow for my tastes,or have I just been unlucky? the 3.2 is the obvious choice for me so would love some feedback from those of you that run them as daily drivers, whats the real world MPG and re this specific engine apart from timing chains what do I look out for?

I also have a 2.0 TS GTV which I have to say is much more fun to drive than either of the 2.2 brera's I have tried, however its an 18 year old car and I don't fancy running it as a daily, it also may not be suitable as a work car in my next job, and its bound to throw up the odd issue when I least expect/need it!

I want to stay Alfa if I can but other than finding a really nice brera that is also exciting when required to be, or going for a new Giulia I don't see any other options open to me as none of the current or 156/147 series cars quite fit the bill.

if sanyone in the Surrey/ SW London area has a really sorted petrol one I would appreciate a drive either shotgun or behind the wheel if possible...just to get a sense of what a ''good one'' feels like...I am still not convinced I have driven a really decent example.

only when I have can I be sure that it is either is or not for me..

thanks for the input gents....

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Fancy meeting you here!
I am also lurking, contemplating letting my GT go for either a 159 or Brera but must be a 2.4.
Good luck
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
I test drove a brera 5yrs ago after test driving a scirroco as i wanted to compare the handling / performance....i was really underwhelmed. It's a lovely looking car but back then it was lacking in performance and handling. 5yrs later the game has moved on considerably and Alfa desperately need a new coupe as they do a saloon which is thankfully weeks away.

It's still got a lot going for it but expect compromises if you do make the purchase.

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Your experience with the 2.2 is probably as good as it gets.
I also had a 2.0 GTV TS before the 2.2, and the GTV was simply in a different league for the 'fun' factor.
No experience with the 6 pot.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire
Joey....I suspect everything you try will feel a bit underwhelming after your GT it's a hard act to follow. Shame the Brera doesn't come with the 1750tbi engine like the 159.
joeymannero likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

Why not opt for a 1750 brera? That will tick the boxes perfectly

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
AO Member

Ahhh Google shows tbi Brera......whoops. Reckon that would be a good platform.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
The 3.2 is great, gives a lovely sound as a V6 should, but the handling, although there is nothing wrong with it, its not agile, its not that much fun, great for cruising and the 4wd gives good grip. Its quick enough when you want it to be. I have had a 147 1.6 TS, the nearest thing to your GT Ive driven, it was fun, agile and seemed more supple if that makes sense. The two are very different cars! We also have a Giulietta, this would probably to drive be nearer, but its more grown up. Less feeling than the 147, but easier to live with. Unfortunately its a 5 door instead of the coupe your looking for, but for ride, may feel a better fit? The 1.4 MA or Cloverleaf with the DNA set to D would feel nearer? It should also be more reliable and more economical being a lighter and newer car. The 3.2 will do 32mpg, but that's driving at 65mph like a nun on the motorway, if you like the loud pedal, your lucky to see 20mpg. I can get 32mpg round town in the Giulietta 1.4 MA TCT and 47mpg on a run easily.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4

County: -
I got a Brera 2.2 about 2 months ago, here are my experiences:

The normal 2.2 engine map is pretty bad, you should get that solved first.
A good remap will remove the hickups when driving in first and second gear, and give you more power, about 200bhp. The fuel economy is still pretty bad: large engine and heavy car.

Next for me is replacing the front shocks with bilstein b6, i hate the scraping noise on almost every speedbump or bump in the road.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.2 Misano

own a 2.2 brera in london.

mpg is terrible. under 20mpg. performance is fine round town. 2nd gear blasts are nippy, its when i go out of london that i notice its not a 'fast' car.
AO Member

County: Angus
I use a 3.2 as a daily. Been great, reasonably nippy, mine seems to handle ok, high 20s to 30ish on a run. Only issue has been a cracked plastic pipe that dripped coolant onto manifold. 80 for a of plastic pipe! Love it though.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allandwf View Post
I use a 3.2 as a daily. Been great, reasonably nippy, mine seems to handle ok, high 20s to 30ish on a run. Only issue has been a cracked plastic pipe that dripped coolant onto manifold. 80 for a of plastic pipe! Love it though.
Had exactly the same issue with the coolant pipe a few months ago, seems to be a design fault with the 3.2, different part number and design for the manual or autoboxed 3.2s (mines an auto and the pipes were 20 more than the manual)!
AO Member

Your probably best just waiting seven weeks or so & get the 2.2 Giulia, I've heard it'll have 275bhp. As for the Brera in London traffic the 3.2 would be pointless, you don't like 2.2, also you don't want another diesel. As already mentioned though the tbi would be the best all-around-car for your needs
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I bought my 2.4 Brera a couple of years ago, parted with my 156 2.0 JTS, before that I had a very quick 156 V6, now I know neither of these are GT's but I felt that they would be a similar drive, given that my wife ran a couple of 147's. I wanted a different car, and the Brera certainly is that! Don't expect it to be a lively cross country B road burner, it's not, but if you want a long distance, fast cruiser, that will give you good MPG then its amazing. For that fact alone I iove it. My journeys tend to be long distance cruising. For the life of me I cannot understand how people get high 20's, 30+ to the gall from a V6, I never came close. I wish I had tried a GT before buying the Brera, but I still think the outcome will have been the same. Whatever you buy, enjoy.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Good to see a couple of fellow GT amigos here. I too am wanting to move on from my GT; excellent, nimble cart which always brought a smile to my face. I too want to get away from diesel and am looking at 2.2s. Interestingly I've noticed that of the ones I've driven, they all perform differently! That must be the Alfa character coming through. I would love a 3.2 but low mpg and 515 to the chancellor is a step too far.
(Post Link) post #16 of 37 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
very interesting replies gents, thank you!

spent today driving my GTV, to and from MOT (which it failed) http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...t-station.html

however when I drive it all is forgiven!!! it's just fun, and sounds great.. and seems to have enough for town, M-ways and its a B road charger for sure.. but as an everyday? not sure unless I spent a good few quid making sure its reliable...and I know it will just end up with fast road cams, a re-map and lowering springs..!!

funny enough the mentions of the Giulietta are interesting, I quite like the QV, my OH nearly bought one but couldn't get on with the TCT box, she went for a Peugeot 208 GT line in the end

its a shame as I could have lived wit that car had I inherited it from the wife at the end of a PCP deal, but not sure I would go and buy one for myself, especially over a Giulia.

thing is, its not the GT that is the problem, I just want a petrol engine and if the GT had been offered with a turbo charged 4 pot (like the TT) with 225 ponies I would probably be perfectly happy!!! the 3.2 is just a dinosaur (a beautiful one) but is to fragile to handle the kind of miles and types of driving I will be doing, is potentially problematic,plus the awful MPG, which is why I arrived at the Brera conclusion.

Sadly it would seem Alfa have repeated the same mistake twice..designing drop dead gorgeous cars and giving them **** poor engine choices!!! the V6's in both Brera and GT are of course the engines of choice but the HUGE gap in performance between these and the smaller displacement petrol's is unforgivable really...meaning the diesels are the only practical choice for most people.

but.. a diesel in a an Italian sports coupe is like a supermodel that talks like a market trader and i just can't go through another EGR,swirl flap and DPF delete and re-map.. groundhog day...

on a happier note it seems with the Giulia they have finally sorted this issue with a fruity 275 bhp turbo petrol, so if I can't find a Brera I can live with it will go on my list of ''cars I thought I'd love but didn't'' (the Maserati 3200 is currently top of that list) and I will go and get a Giulia or if I want to avoid the monthly payment a SAAB 93 2.8 T convertible...and buy a Giulia second hand when the first lot are at the end of the PCP deals.

so in conclusion I would love to stay in the Alfa fold, and most likely will with the GTV as a weekend car, but it seems at this point other than a Giulia and a PCP deal, they don't make a car I can live with as a daily.
AO Member

We seem to be on a very similar thought process here mate.
Again my milage dictates that a diesel is really my only option if I am to change, but I still want it to be as fun as possible.
It's funny you mentioned the Saab 9-3, it is the only other alternative I have looked at away from Alfa but in the 1.9 Ttid 180bhp form. As you said though I would have to go through the DPF and EGR removal and remap process before its going to really be where I want it to be, which then pulls me right back to Alfa oil burners and the 2.4 engine.
Many have already had the DPF an EGR and remap so already where I want it to be in terms of performance, and the 159 and brera look great to boot!
The real issue is that I love my GT too much, but cannot afford or have space to run a second car.
My head tells me to break up with her my heart won't let me though.
AO Member

Dominic... Just for real world info I have a 2.4 SW Ti Egr deleted/blanked and Remap it is my daily driver 28-31 mile return journey on a 50/50 % mix of roads so I guess "combined" it is returning 35-38 mpg regularly, measuring miles using fuelio it is 285-300 miles roughly on 40 of diesel. Mix of pootling and heavy right foot. I am v happy with that considering the performance.

Joey when's your GT going?. I like the idea of a giulietta qv too shame they were a bit too pricey for me currently.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsweaty View Post
Dominic... Just for real world info I have a 2.4 SW Ti Egr deleted/blanked and Remap it is my daily driver 28-31 mile return journey on a 50/50 % mix of roads so I guess "combined" it is returning 35-38 mpg regularly, measuring miles using fuelio it is 285-300 miles roughly on 40 of diesel. Mix of pootling and heavy right foot. I am v happy with that considering the performance.

Joey when's your GT going?. I like the idea of a giulietta qv too shame they were a bit too pricey for me currently.
My diesel averages 600 miles a tank which equates to ~47 mpg.

Joey, your thinking is bang on with mine, however I did take out a JTS S which was fun and the pro drive exhaust did play a symphony with my heart. Especially with it providing booming echoes bouncing off country stone walls. Sounded like an Alfa should without appearing that it pays rent at Halfords and the boy racer aisle. Have you taken one for a dog spin?
AO Member

Quote:
Cheers for the info, my commute is 40 miles each way a day so a diesel is a must.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post

Sadly it would seem Alfa have repeated the same mistake twice..designing drop dead gorgeous cars and giving them **** poor engine choices!!!

...but.. a diesel in a an Italian sports coupe is like a supermodel that talks like a market trader
Agreed;
so very true!
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
Quote:
Shame the Brera doesn't come with the 1750tbi engine like the 159.
It does.

But still a shame you lot didn't get the TBi Ti Breras.

There are plenty of mods to the 2.2 outlined on old threads
CommanderFish's was probably the most sorted 2.2 Brera
weighing it around 200BHP after intake, exhaust mods and
remap.

Last edited by Tata4Now; 17-09-16 at 12:07.
AO Member

This thread has become a Mpg thread now. The most unlikely way to enjoy any car is by Keeping an eye on how must you don't have to put in the tank isn't fun.

Alfa Romeo's are made for driving pleasure
bigjim and Tata4Now like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Joey I think you should go and try a Giulietta QV with a manual box, if you haven't driven one already that is. I think you will love it.
AO Member

Clay19.....I was just letting Dominic know the real life figures for running a 2.4 SW. I was initially shocked when I first got it having looked at alfa tech specs which were higher than real life annnnd coming from a soulless 64mpg pug 307. Just wanted to give him the heads up.

I am resisting the urge to check the fuel computer display and just enjoy drive my alfa.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera , buying , owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page