brera buying advice for a GT owner... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatsweaty View Post
Clay19.....I was just letting Dominic know the real life figures for running a 2.4 SW. I was initially shocked when I first got it having looked at alfa tech specs which were higher than real life annnnd coming from a soulless 64mpg pug 307. Just wanted to give him the heads up.

I am resisting the urge to check the fuel computer display and just enjoy drive my alfa.
And it was appreciated, especially as real world figures differ massively from manufacturers. I too enjoy driving my Alfas so it's always going to be at the lower end of those figures for me but nice to have a heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

159 Q4

I think you can get the 1.75 in the Brera just not that many about. The V6 is a very nice and smooth engine and the rear biased 4WD system works well and it has great traction and grip.

While I do rate the V6 the fuel economy is terrible, sub 20 around town I think if you did a mixture of town + meat you'd average out mid twenties maybe.

I would not get the V6 unless you don't mind paying lots on fuel or only do a low annual mileage
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage

(Post Link) post #29 of 37 Old 18-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
again food for thought,

MPG is actually largely an irrelevance to me TBH as at 15k miles a year it won't kill me unless its really bad, the reason I ruled out the 3.2 GT is the combination of chocolate suspension, high road tax, inevitable unexpected maintenance, it being now likely over 10 years old, all of this when combined with poor MPG, especially on short journeys and traffic (what london driving is all about) makes it unviable as an option and potentially expensive in total running costs. The 3.2 brera has better build quality and being newer will likely be less prone to unexpected issues, the suspension is pretty solid in comparison to the GT/156/147 series of cars, so in a Brera I could allow poor MPG as the overall running costs are likely to be lower than a Busso engined example.

the cabin is nicer, the SV roof pleasant when spending lots of time sitting in traffic, the job I require the car to do has completely changed my ''hit list'' in terms of what I want from ''a daily'', I would be living in London all week with commutes to Guildford at weekends where as when Bought the GT 1.9 most of my driving was fast A roads, M-ways,B roads and Minimal town driving. it's quite a change in needs.

the GT will be up for sale this month Fatsweaty with 12 months ticket, she has just had 4 new tyres and a new master cylinder as well as all the other stuff done..just waiting to get the GTV through the MOT so I have a car whilst I look for a replacement..

Dan, I have thought about the Giulietta Cloverleaf, the manual, as I could not live with the TCT, I need to go and try one to get an idea of how they feel, but with london thrown into the mix believe it or not I am even considering a Mito QV or a maped 155 MA,as it will make a great town car whilst still having enough grunt to do the weekly M-way jaunts, I am sure Ned has a re-map for the multiair 155 bhp to around 200bhp so maybe buying one of those and popping it to Ned is the way to go, I suspect it will be cheaper than buying a QV...and having worked with Ned on the GT I know it will end up a cracking car.

even an abrath 500 might work, TBH I am gutted to be having to get rid of the GT , but town driving is just not fun on that car!!!

have'nt yet had a chance to drive a 3.2 brera but TBH I am not holding out much hope, unless I can learn to live with a ''dull drive'' and just enjoy the car for the stylish and capable crusier she is...might be time to ''grow up''

knew it would have to happen eventually but not loving the prospect

so I am hoping to find a solution that does not result in a boring car...the other option is to try and run the GTV for a while till I am settled in the new job and then as said before go and get a Giulia...hate the prospect of not owning a car outright though and the depreciation on a new car is horrendous..and a 5 year PCP does not allow for changes in circumstance, and the nature of my work is that jobs tend to last 2-3 years tops.

what to do?!!!

ANY suggestions welcome...

It's Busso time ..
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
Toybaru BRZ86

Or get a cheap 2.2 and get AutoDelta to bolt a supercharger on to it.

Or wait a few months and see what kind of ridiculous deals they offer
on leasing a Giulia.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
...or wait a year or two and see how much Giulia's have depreciated on the secondhand market.
There could be a lot of car going for a hefty saving on new.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Problem is with the Brera being a heavy car, its much more a motorway cruiser than a B road blaster.

Thats whats great about the GT , it feels so light and agile, thats where the fun is..
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

Office Chair.

I'm glad I sold my 1.9 GT Tractor for the 159 2.4 tractor.

Apart from looks (profile mainly) the 159 is so much better than my GT was,
GT was standard with no mods at all as is the 159. I liked how it handled on twisty roads but I have no need for that in my daily.
I loved the seats in the GT, they made up for the woefully hard (creaky ) ride.

The 159 with the rather good 5 cylinder diesel is so much nicer. I prefer the tan/creme interior to the grey (that's not really an issue) of the GT, the fit finish is much better. It's quiet (no creaking either), so smooth ride, quite a bit softer (which I like) and drives rather well. Just been down to Devon and I had no issues with the handling (even though a but heavier feeling than the GT) compared to my GT on the same holiday last year. My elderly mum appreciated the extra doors and space of the 159 too.

I wished I had bought a 159/Brera and not the GT first which was my first choice but a (seemingly) nice GT came along for a good price.
I don't regret the GT but am much happier in this 159. I think mainly the engine does it.
I do about 13-14k per year and average 36 mpg but it's really about how well it drives. I did start one of those 'fuelly' online accounts but never used it

All that said I think I want a petrol daily (and much newer than these old heaps I keep buying ) next or maybe one of those new Tesla 3's, in a couple of years.

All that said the OP wants a petrol car and I completely understand the option for the petrol engine Alfas currently on offer old and new (excluding the Giulia because we don't know much about that yet).

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT V6 and 145 TS

A bit fruity pricewise as it's at Veloces, Joey, but they are out there:

Alfa Romeo Brera 1.8 TBi 3dr (2010) in Grey | Veloces of London
(Post Link) post #35 of 37 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
A bit fruity pricewise as it's at Veloces, Joey, but they are out there:

Alfa Romeo Brera 1.8 TBi 3dr (2010) in Grey | Veloces of London

that,s pricey!! but veloces are always a bit strong with their pricing..

TBH if I had 15k to spend it would not go on that, as it is my budget is going to be around 7k tops and I would rather spend around 4k as the car is likely to be an interim choice to get me from the GT to a Giulia as and when they become affordable on the second hand market or the new deals become more favourable as the furore surrrounding them dies down.

one other option is KW coilovers on the GT ,it doesn't solve the diesel issue but would make the ride more compliant on london streets without compromising the sportiness off the car, and as the egr and flaps are out already its only the nosie and heavy clutch that I will have to contend with..there is more than one way to skin a cat so this might work...

if it I do buy a brera or 159 it will almost certainly be the 3.2 though. diesel is out due to the cost and agg of doing flaps,egr and re-map again, the 2.2 is gutless and the TBI way to expensive.
AO Member

Out of all the Brera's that are on the market in 2016 the Q4 is the Best Buy. They're holding strong value, they have the best sounding and most bhp out of all the Brera's on the market, plus it's rare about 313 left in GB. The Brera S is way overpriced, twice the price of a Q4. The 2.2 S is insanely priced. You'd be mad to pay 10k for one. Same with the TBI or Italian independent model. I wouldn't feel happy giving 10k for one
AO Member

Im with you on that with the 3,2 Q4

We will only be doing about 5,000m a year to and from work so im not bothered about the fuel consumption.

If we consider that the Q4 is holding its money better than a diesel model in this and the other variants then this could way in against the better fuel economy of the diesel.

Ive bought a low mileage Q4 (27,000m) and im kinda hoping that the price will gently increase if it does happy days.

ian
matty74 likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
advice , brera , buying , owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page