Ideal new battery for a 159 just fitted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 2 Post By napastar
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Ideal new battery for a 159 just fitted

I've seen so many threats about the right battery for a 159 I thought I'd add my 2 penneth. Sorry

I ordered an Exide EA900 Premium 115 TE battery from Tayna on Monday at a delivered cost of 71.29 all in.
Impressively it turned up on Wednesday morning, perfectly packaged, complete with clear safety instructions about removing the transit plugs and a 4 year guarantee

It is the exact same size as the original ( 315x175x190 I Understand this is the same for the 2.4D ?) so no issues with fitting or having to pack it to make sure its secure, has a 90 Ah capacity and a CCA of 720 which is considerably better than the original battery.

All in all took 20 mins to fit from start to finish with the only inconvenience being having to reset the time and date.

I know the CCA spec is not quite up to the Varta F18, and the guarantee is 1 year less , but the capacity of Exide is better, its nearly 10 cheaper and doesn't need packing to secure it in place like the Varta

In short highly recommended as a product and supplier
lussoman and Lord_of_beard like this.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Brera 2.2 Misano

ordered the same battery a couple months ago from the same company, and agree its a great battery. huge compared to what i replaced.
there are a few other mentions on this forum about this battery, but not nearly as many as there should be considering it fits perfectly.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Yep, fitted the same to my 2.4, perfect size.
AO Member
Good tip, is is a maintenance free one?

My last battery was a Yuasa YBX5110 - which had a 5 year guarantee. Perfectly good battery but two years on and it ran flat on me. If you read the terms of the guarantee you'll see that sulfation, running down etc all not covered, and even if they are you only get a discount on a new battery, which can be 20% (wow). So... took advantage of the Bank Holiday sale at Eurocarparts to pick up a Duracell 110 size battery which worked out as 70 quid. Spec seems good enough and it is 'guaranteed' as well for 5 years whatever that means. Okay, so its not entirely big enough to make it 'fit' vertically but it really isn't hard to lob in a bit of hard closed cell foam (usually used for safely packing batteries as well) on top of the battery and it is very secure (especially as it bolts in at the bottom anyway). I'm after the extra performance with a lighter battery ;-P

So, what I'd like to get is not a battery I have to throw away after two years (because it is sealed) but a good old fashioned one that you can top up, throw battery tablets in etc. That lasts forever (much like the original... I should have kept it!) - anyone got any suggestions for that?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , battery , fitted , ideal