159 2.016v JTDM Water Temperature Problems! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
County: -
159 2.016v JTDM Water Temperature Problems!

Just after some advice really, my Alfa last night brought a fault on the dash saying high water temperature and high level in coolant, the temperature gauge was sky high so I turned the engine of soon as possible. There is slight noise when the engine is running like a squeaky noise, and once parked up coolant was leaking from back of the engine only slowly though with coolant in the tank normal colour, I think its my water pump and thermostat possibly, just wondered if this had happened to anyone else and if so what's it like cost wise as most bills on my car are sky high.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Zuid Holland
Little difficult to judge what exactly is leaking or more precisely, where it's coming from as when it indeed is leaking from the waterpump (thin O-ring gasket only), coolant may have spread working it's way out by pressure and deflected by wind whilst still rolling on the road.

What I would do is first pressurize the system by the use of special tooling, put on to the expansion tank instead of the cap. Then see if the pressure of ~1-1.2 bar will hold for approx. 15 min. If not, you have a leak. Either leaking outside, must be spotted somewhere, or you have a leak inside. Latter means the cylinder(s) are filling up (combustion chambers, so be aware of a possible water slot!) or it's leaking somewhere into the crankcase. Possible causes are leaking pipe (outside), blown head gasket or torn cylinder head (inside leakage).

If above procedure when cold is OK, then gently warm up the engine and repeat to see if the pressure is still being hold. If so, it can be that the propeller of the waterpump has detached itself from its axle. In other words is not pumping around while the pulley is being driven by your cambelt. In these cases the engine temperature very quickly rises.

If you are lucky and it isn't the head gasket, but just the waterpump, you must consider replacing the pump including a new cambelt + tensioner in 1 repair.

Hope it isn't all too bad (as in most cases)
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
I wouldnt risk running the engine untill you are sure that the water pump bearings havnt failed, quite a common fault which will snap or strip the timing belt with expensive consequences.
On the 1.9 engines you can remove the plastic timing belt cover easily and I expect the 2.0 is the same, its held on with about 8 ribe headed bolts but a 40 torx will do, you will then be able to see the water pump, its the pulley without teeth on it below and towards the rear or the engine of the cam pulley thats run off the back of the tining belt. if there is any sign of coolant or staining around it then it needs changing but dont risk running the engine.
AO Member
County: Bielsko-Biala
gbro1989, looks lik you are writing in 2 threads exactly the same questions.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , jtdm , problems , temperature , water