turbo vacuum help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Hmmm turbo vacuum help

Help please, just had second turbo fail in 75k!!

I have a question about the vacuum operation through the small solenoid valve on the bonnet shut. Q should there be vacuum applied to the turbo variable vane actuator at idle? if I pull the pipe off the solenoid at idle it is definitely open, passing vacuum to the turbo. Is that to be expected? just want to check mine hasn't been over spinning causing the failure.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
..ouchh, feel sorry for you

At idle the vaccuum should be fully applied (solenoid valve open), at full throttle the opposite.
In case vaccuum fails for whatever reasons, the spring built-in (actuator) causes the lever to that position that the turbo can't be overloaded. In other words then you won't have the quick build up of boost at low rev range.

So without enough vaccuum the turbo is protected by design and yes, what you describe is a normal functioning.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_NL View Post
..ouchh, feel sorry for you

At idle the vaccuum should be fully applied (solenoid valve open), at full throttle the opposite.
In case vaccuum fails for whatever reasons, the spring built-in (actuator) causes the lever to that position that the turbo can't be overloaded. In other words then you won't have the quick build up of boost at low rev range.

So without enough vaccuum the turbo is protected by design and yes, what you describe is a normal functioning.
thanks for the quick reply Leo. that puts my mind at rest and I must have had a spurious failure. Oddly enough it was one of the hottest days recently. I wasn't in the car when it failed, it was at a garage for a suspension check!

its been an expensive yesr so far: 1K for new DMF, clutch release bearing and cover now this and ~150 for upper suspension bush change. Always happens when about to sell it!! 2 new tyres next.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
failure , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page